University Hospital Jena
Department of Obstetrics (585075)
Specialized in: obstetrics
About the department
The Department of Obstetrics at the University Hospital Jena offers the full range of services in this field. It provides comprehensive pregnancy management, safe delivery and high quality postpartum care for both mother and child. Also, the range is complemented by special childbirth preparation classes. The specialists deliver babies in four modern delivery rooms, equipped with special beds and other aids, such as obstetric rope, chairs, baths, mats and gymnastic balls. The department has won the status of Level I Perinatal Center, which indicates the highest quality of medical services. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. Ekkehard Schleussner.
The department's specialists devote a lot of time to counseling future mothers. Consultations cover both general questions regarding pregnancy, as well as more specialized aspects, such as infectious diseases during pregnancy, diabetes mellitus and pregnancy, pregnancy in hypertension, kidney diseases, organ transplantation, etc. Also, the department's obstetricians discuss in advance the details of the childbirth process, plan which type of birth will be appropriate in a given situation, listen to the wishes and concerns of the patients.
The prenatal diagnostics is carried out in accordance with the approved DEGUM I and II standards. It allows to perform the high-quality ultrasound screening of the fetus and timely detect the developmental abnormalities, if any. The area of competence also includes invasive prenatal diagnostics and therapy. Such procedures as amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling, cordocentesis, intrauterine transfusion are mostly practiced.
The service range of the department includes:
- Childbirth courses
- Ambulatory labor (only in appropriate indications and absence of complications)
- Childbirth in pelvic presentation of the fetus
- Special obstetric intensive care for patients with severe complications ( intensive therapy is usually required during the first hours after cesarean section)
- Naturopathic methods
- Foot reflex massage
- Cord blood sampling
- Emergency medical care
- Genetic counseling
- Prenatal diagnostics
- 1st trimester
- First trimester screening
- Screening in pregnancy complications (screening for preeclampsia)
- 2nd and 3rd trimester
- Fetal echocardiography
- Control of fetal growth and placental blood circulation
- 3D/4D ultrasound examination
- 1st trimester
- Invasive diagnostics and therapy
- Chorionic villus sampling
- Umbilical cord puncture
- Diagnostics of feto-fetal transfusion syndrome
- Psychological support in:
- Suspected pathology (according to the results of prenatal diagnostics)
- Problems of the neonatological spectrum
- Postpartum period after complicated labor
- Severe delivery
- Mental health problems
- Child loss
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- 1981 - 1987 Humboldt University of Berlin, Charité.
- 1987 - 1995 Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics.
- 1987 Doctor of Medicine, Humboldt University of Berlin (Summa cum laude).
- 1995 Board certification in Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- 1997 Certificate of subspecialization in Gynecologic Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine.
- 2001 Certificate of subspecialization in Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine.
- 2003 Certification for Specialized Prenatal Diagnostics and Therapy (DEGUM II).
- 2004 PhD thesis defense, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Venia legendi for Obstetrics.
- 1984 - 1987 Research Fellow, Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Humboldt University of Berlin, Charité (Director: Prof. Dr. med. W. Dörner).
- 1988 - 1995 Research Assistant in the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Friedrich Schiller University Jena (Director: Prof. Dr. med. D. Stech).
- 1995 - 1997 Research Fellow in the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Dresden (Director: Prof. Dr. med. W. Distler).
- 1997 - 2004 Senior Assistant, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Friedrich Schiller University Jena (Head: Prof. Dr. med. H.-J. Seewald).
- 2004 - 2005 PD, Department of Obstetrics, Friedrich Schiller University Jena.
- 2005 Invitation to the post of a Full Professor of Obstetrics, Martin Luther University Halle.
- 2005 Full Professor and Head of the Department of Obstetrics, University Hospital Jena.
Honors and Awards
- 1985 Young Investigator Award.
- 1992 Poster Award, 10 years of successful IVF therapy in Germany, Erlangen, Germany.
- 1996 Poster Award of the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Dresden, Germany.
- 2000 Poster Award, International Nitrate Conference, Organic Nitrates: State of Art, Düsseldorf, Germany.
- 2000 Research Award for Perinatology of the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- 2002 Award of the Rockstroh Foundation by the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- 2002 Nitroglycerin Award of the Pohl Boskamp Company.
- 2004 Poster Award of the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Hamburg, Germany.
Membership in Scientific Societies
- Board Member, German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- Past President, Middle German Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- German Society for Ultrasound in Medicine.
- Board Member, German Society of Perinatal Medicine.
- German Society of Prenatal Medicine and Obstetrics.
- International Federation of Placental Associations.
- Board Member of the Working Group on Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine.
- Working Group on Pregnancy Hypertension/Gestosis.
- German Diabetes Society, Working Group on Diabetes and Pregnancy.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Jena
Department of Obstetrics.
University Hospital Jena:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.