University Hospital Jena
Department of Pediatric Neurology (585078)
Specialized in: pediatric neurology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Neurology at the University Hospital Jena offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment for infants, children and adolescents with diseases of the nervous system, neuromuscular pathologies, congenital metabolic disorders and psychosomatic disorders. The department offers optimal conditions for the treatment of children. Its specialists get along well with young patients, which has a beneficial effect on the therapy effectiveness. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Ulrich Brandl.
The department became one of the first medical facilities of this kind, where the EEG Laboratory was founded (non-invasive examination of the brain electrical activities). This examination plays crucial role in the diagnostics of epilepsy, which is the priority of the department's clinical activities. In addition, the department is fitted out with modern equipment for electromyography, electroneurography and recording of evoked potentials. The department is certified by the German Society for Clinical Neurophysiology.
An important focus of the department’s work is the treatment of headaches in children. For this purpose, the department operates a specialized outpatient clinic, which employs the experienced doctors with additional qualifications in this field. All therapeutic interventions comply with the requirements of the German Migraine and Headache Society, as well as with those of the International Headache Society.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostic options
- Electroencephalography, including long-term and video-EEG
- Recording of evoked potentials
- Gait analysis within a specialized laboratory
- Ultrasound diagnostics, MRI, PET and numerous metabolic examinations (in collaboration with other departments)
- Preoperative diagnostics of epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the nervous system, including malformations and injuries of the nervous system
- Diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy, including the pathology-related mental and behavioral disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of developmental and motor disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of muscular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of metabolic disorders accompanied by neurological symptoms
- Diagnostics and treatment of psychosomatic disorders
- Psychogenic perceptual disorders, for example, blurred vision, dizziness, dysesthesia
- Psychogenic paralysis
- Psychogenic seizures resembling epileptic seizures or faints
- Psychogenic symptoms affecting the heart or respiratory system
- Chronic pain (headache, abdominal pain) with no somatic explanation
- Mental or psychosomatic concomitant diseases due to the severe or prolonged physical illness
- Other medical services
- 1973 - 1979 Study of Human Medicine in Erlangen.
- 1975 - 1979 Study of Medicine and Psychology.
- 1979 Admission to medical practice.
- 1984 Doctoral degree at the Institute of Physiology and Biocybernetics of the University of Erlangen.
- 1987 Board certification in Pediatrics.
- 1988 Habilitation.
- 2005 Specialization in Pediatric Neurology.
- 2008 Permission for advanced training courses in Pediatrics with a focus on Pediatric Neurology.
- 1979 - 1987 Professional Training in Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics at the University Hospital Erlangen (interrupted by military service as a medical worker).
- 1987 - 1989 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Erlangen (Pediatric Neurology).
- 1988 Habilitation, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. Subject: "Brain mapping: topographic analysis of EEG in childhood epilepsy".
- 1989 Invitation to the position of C3 Professor at the Free University of Berlin (Pediatrics with a focus on Neurology).
- 1996 Appointed as the University Professor and Head of the Department of Pediatric Neurology at the University Hospital Jena.
- Board Member of the German Society for Epileptology.
- Chairman of the Ethics Committee of the University Hospital Jena.
- Optimization of therapy in childhood epilepsy.
- Cognitive effects of epileptic changes during EEG.
- Ion channel dysfunction.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Society of Pediatrics.
- Society of Neuropediatrics (Conference President, 2008).
- Board Member of the German Society of Epileptology.
- Society for Social Pediatrics.
- Working Group on Epilepsy Surgery.
- Muscular Disease Center, Thuringia.
- Foundation of the Advisory Board of the Social Network "docstogether.net".
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Jena
Department of Pediatric Neurology.
University Hospital Jena:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.