University Hospital Oldenburg
Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology (361486)
Specialized in: pediatric oncology, hematology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology at the University Hospital Oldenburg ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in leukemia treatment!
The department offers the full service range in these medical fields. The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of all types of leukemia, solid tumors and benign hematological diseases. The department has modern medical equipment and 12 beds. The medical facility is recognized as the Pediatric Cancer Center in accordance with GB-A standards. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hermann Müller.
The department offers all diagnostic and therapeutic options (except for the allogeneic bone marrow transplantation). The treatment is possible both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The basis of therapy is the research of the Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology (GPOH) on the treatment optimization. In addition, the initiative groups of parents of children with cancer and qualified department's psychologists provide comprehensive psychosocial care, which is also important.
The department has active scientific activities. The most large-scale research project is a multicentre study of brain tumors of GPOH KRANIOPHARYNGEOM 2007 (financed by the German Childhood Cancer Foundation). In addition, the Chief Physician of the department, Dr. Hermann Müller, is a coordinator of the care organization for children and adolescents with cancer (the project of PädOnko Weser-Ems Association).
Cancer treatment is a particularly complex process, which requires the involvement of specialists from various disciplines. Therefore, the department cooperates closely with other departments of the hospital, thereby providing comprehensive, interdisciplinary treatment.
In the field of pediatric oncology, the department's specialists mostly have to deal with leukemia, brain and spinal cord tumors, neuroblastomas, Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, Ewing's sarcomas, etc.
In the field of hematology, the department treats various benign and malignant blood diseases (acute and chronic leukemias), hereditary blood diseases (for example, thalassemia, hemophilia), all types of anemia, blood clotting disorders in children, etc.
The department has a friendly and warm atmosphere. It also has all conditions for the child’s comfortable stay.
The medical team is always ready to take care of young patients.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Brain tumors
- Spinal cord tumors
- Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphomas
- Ewing's sarcomas
- Hereditary blood disorders (for example, thalassemia, hemophilia)
- All types of anemia in children
- Blood clotting disorders
- Other diseases
- 1977 - 1986 Medical studies at the University of Marburg.
- 1986 - 1991 Internship, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospitals in Marburg and Würzburg.
- 1991 -1993 Doctorate Scholarship, Fellow (Dr. Mildred Schiel), Medical Center at Stanford University, California, USA.
- 1994 - 2001 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Würzburg.
- Since 2001 Head of the Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology, University Hospital Oldenburg.
- Since 2005 Qualifications in Pediatric Oncology, Hematology, Pediatric Urology and Diabetology.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Member of the Executive Board of the Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology (GPOH).
- Coordinator of the PädOnko Weser-Ems Organization.
- Head of a Multicentre Study on Brain Tumors (GPOH) KRANIOPHARYNGEOM 2007.
- Member of the research commission for GPOH studies of low-grade gliomas, (SIOP-LGG), glioblastomas (SIOP-HGG), germ cell tumors (MAKEI) and malignant endocrine tumors (MET).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Oldenburg AöR
Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology.
University Hospital Oldenburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.