University Hospital Oldenburg
Department of Dermatology and Allergology (364580)
Specialized in: dermatology, allergology
The Department of Dermatology and Allergology at the University Hospital Oldenburg offers a full range of services in these areas of medicine. The department was founded in 1996, and therefore offers many years of experience and unique methods of treating dermatological and allergic diseases. The department has 33 inpatient and 15 semi-inpatient beds. With appropriate indications, outpatient treatment is possible as well. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Ulrike Raap.
The department performs diagnostics and treatment of such diseases in the field of dermatology:
- Hereditary diseases and malformations
- Infectious diseases of the skin caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites
- Skin diseases caused by exposure to physical agents and chemicals
- Chronic inflammatory skin disease
- Autoimmune diseases
- Professional dermatoses
- Diseases of connective tissue
- Diseases of the appendages of the skin
- Skin tumors
- Diseases of the skin pigmentary system
- Pathological changes in the skin caused by vascular diseases
Diagnostics and treatment of all skin tumors and its appendages presents special interest for this department. A variety of modern diagnostic procedures are available for the detection of skin tumors, for example, microscopy using a magnifying glass, high resolution ultrasound for examining the skin and lymph nodes. For the treatment of skin cancer, radical tumor removal followed by histological examination, while precancerous skin diseases can be treated with cryotherapy, laser technology or photodynamic therapy. Patients with an increased risk of recurrence of cancer are usually given immunostimulating drugs. Treatment of progressive stages of oncological diseases of the skin is carried out in cooperation with the Department of Oncology and Hematology. In addition, the field of the department’s tasks includes the treatment of skin lymphomas, for which phototherapy, photochemotherapy and, in special cases, photopheresis are used.
Specialization of the department also includes the treatment of chronic wounds, diseases of veins and hyperhidrosis (increased sweating). The therapeutic options for eliminating these problems include both conservative and surgical options.
It’s worth noting that the department takes care of the patient's psychological health. Stresses can adversely affect the course of the illness and treatment, leading to significant life quality limitations. In addition, serious and chronic diseases, cancer can lead to abrupt changes in the life of patients, so the unit employs specially trained psychologists who help patients and their relatives cope with emotional stress.
Diagnostics and treatment of all forms of allergic diseases are suggested in the field of allergology. A great advantage of the department is the availability of its own allergic and immunological laboratory, in which a full range of skin, mucosal, provocative tests using various allergens is carried out.
The range of medical services of the department in the field of allergology covers:
- Skin tests: test with rubbing, prick-test, intradermal test, skin test, photopatch test
- Special blood tests (serological blood test, FAST)
- Nasal, oral and nasal provocative tests
- Research of lung function (spirometry)
- Immunotherapy (hyposensitization)
The therapeutic possibilities of the department in the field of dermatology cover:
- Sampling (from the skin, muscles, nerves, lymph nodes)
- Superficial purification of the skin with its lesions (eg, curettage)
- Electrosurgery and liquid nitrogen freezing
- Laser surgery
- Removal of malignant and benign neoplasms on the skin
- Removal of tumors
- Surgical correction of scars
- Elimination of defects with the help of a flap
- Skin transplantation (free skin grafts)
- Photodynamic therapy
- Systemic and topical treatment with immunostimulating and cytotoxic drugs
- Other methods of treatment
- Oldenburg, Germany