University Hospital Oldenburg
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectology and Diabetology (364581)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, infectology, diabetology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectology and Diabetology at the University Hospital Oldenburg offers a full range of services in these areas of medicine. The department has all modern diagnostic and therapeutic methods for detecting and treating various diseases of the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, pancreas, liver and bile ducts. In addition, the specialization of the department is the treatment of infectious diseases, type I and II diabetes, diabetic foot syndrome. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Hans Seifert, rated among the best doctors in Germany according to the Focus magazine.
In the field of gastroenterology, much attention is paid to various endoscopic studies, including interventional endoscopy. The diagnostic capabilities of the department encompass both classical methods of endoscopy with reproduction of the highest resolution images, virtual chromoendoscopy, endosonography using mini-probes, longitudinal endoscopic ultrasound, and capsular endoscopy to detect rare diseases of the small intestine. Various proven methods are proposed for the detection of gastrointestinal tumors, with early detection when treatment can be performed endoscopically without surgical intervention (e.g. endoscopic dissection in the submucosal layer). The department also offers an internationally recognized experience in the field of endoscopic treatment of pancreatitis and its complications. For the treatment of urgent clinical pictures, such as bleeding or acute pancreatitis, patients are provided with a specially trained medical team that provides 24-hour medical care.
Diagnosis and treatment of all liver diseases is offered in the field of hepatology. New aspects of the treatment of viral hepatitis B and C are of particular interest.
Diabetology is a separate branch of the department. The department specializes in the treatment of type I and II diabetes, complications of diabetes such as diabetic foot syndrome. A lot of individual consultations are conducted, when the expert tells about the importance of blood sugar control, proper nutrition, answers all questions of interest to the patient. In addition, special training seminars are held at the department, where the latest curricula are offered, for example, the PRIMAS program (a program for the treatment and education of an appropriate lifestyle for people with Type I diabetes).
The range of endoscopic diagnostic services of the department covers:
- Gastroscopy and colonoscopy, including chromoendoscopy
- Enteroscopy using a single-column enteroscope and capsular endoscopy
- Capsular endoscopy
The department offers such methods of non-endoscopic diagnostics:
- Ultrasound examinations
- Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity with all interventional procedures and biopsy
- Ultrasound contrast studies
- Endosonography using a longitudinal scanner and all interventional procedures
- Endosonography with contrast
- Endosonography using a high-resolution mini-probe
- Rectal endosonography with transverse scans
- Functional diagnostics
- Respiratory tests (lactose, lactulose, fructose, glucose)
- Manometry of the esophagus
- Daily pH-metry
- Comprehensive liver examination (including biopsy)
Therapeutic possibilities of the department cover:
- Endoscopic resection of the mucous membrane (EMR)
- Endoscopic dissection in the submucosal layer (ESD)
- Endoscopic treatment of cancer at an early stage
- Radiofrequency ablation in the Barrett's esophagus
- Radiofrequency ablation in bile duct tumors
- Argon-plasma coagulation
- Treatment of varicose veins of the esophagus by injection of histoacryl or latex ligation method
- Buzhirovanie or dilation of stenoses
- Stenting of all parts of the gastrointestinal tract
- Percutaneous transhepatic cholangio-drainage
- Complex operations on the pancreas, incl. drainage cysts and retroperitoneal endoscopic necrosectomy
- Treatment of the duct of the pancreas
- Endoscopic treatment of wounds and abscesses
- Electrohydraulic lithotripsy
- Transarterial chemoembolization for the treatment of liver tumors
- Implantation of the transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt with cirrhosis and expressed ascites
- Selective internal radiation therapy for the treatment of liver tumors
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for the treatment of pancreatic stones (in collaboration with the Department of Urology)
- Outpatient treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis C
- 1973 - 1979 Study of medicine at the University of Freiburg, Albert and Ludwig, Freiburg im Breisgau.
- 1977 - 1978 Suspension of training for writing a dissertation on the topic "Ribonucleic particles from rat liver cell nuclei: low-molecular RNA as components of nuclear pre-messengers of RNA-protein complexes", Biochemical Institute of the University of Freiburg (Director: Professor, Dr. G. Holzer); scientific mentor: Professor, Dr. Peter K. Henry.
- 1979 - 1980 Continuation of the study of medicine at the George-August University of Goettingen.
- 1980 Admission to medical practice (State examination institution in Lower Saxony).
- 12/80 - 04/81 Doctor-assistant, urology.
- 05/81 - 09/82 Researcher, Center for Internal Medicine, University of Ulm, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism (Head: Professor, Honorary Doctor Ernst F. Pfeiffer).
- 11/82 - 11/84 Postdoctoral student, Laboratory of Peptides and Biology, Salk Institute, La Jolla, California (USA), Head: Wiley U. Vale, doctorate thesis with the German Scholarship of the German Research Society (DFG).
- 12/84 - 02/92 Assistant Doctor, University Clinic of Göttingen, Department of Gastroenterology and Endocrinology (Head: Professor, Dr. Werner K. Kreutzfeldt).
- 07/91 Assigning the title of doctor in the field of internal medicine (Medical Chamber of Lower Saxony).
- 12/91 Specialization: Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology (Medical Chamber of Lower Saxony).
- 3/92 - 9/95 Senior physician of the department of endoscopic surgery (department head: Dr. Nib Soehendra). Department of Surgery, University Clinic Hamburg-Eppendorf. Focus: all interventional endoscopy, endosonography (development of puncture methods, prototype research, mini-probes).
- 10/95 - 6/01 Research fellow at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, senior physician and head of the endoscopy department at the Internal Medicine Unit II (head: professor, doctor of medicine Wolfgang F. Caspari). Habilitation, internal medicine, the right to teach in higher education, Goettingen George-August University.
- From 07/01 Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectology and Diabetology, University Hospital Oldenburg.
- Since 06/13 Professor at the Department of Internal Medicine, specialization: gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine and Health, Oldenburg University.
- 01/16 Chief Physician at the University Hospital Oldenburg.
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectology and Diabetology.
University Hospital Oldenburg:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home