University Hospital Oldenburg
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectology and Diabetology (364581)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, infectology, diabetology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectology and Diabetology at the University Hospital Oldenburg offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The department has all modern diagnostic and therapeutic methods for detecting and treating various diseases of the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, pancreas, liver and bile ducts. In addition, the specialization of the department is the treatment of infectious diseases, type I and II diabetes, diabetic foot.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hans Seifert. According to the reputable Focus magazine, the specialist ranks among the top German doctors!
In the field of gastroenterology, much attention is paid to various endoscopic examinations, including interventional endoscopy. The department's diagnostic options include classical methods of endoscopic examinations with high-resolution images, for example, virtual chromoendoscopy, endosonography using mini-probes, longitudinal endoscopic ultrasound scan, as well as capsular endoscopy for the detection of rare diseases of the small intestine. The department offers various methods for the diagnostics of tumors of the gastrointestinal tract. In the case of their early detection, the treatment can be carried out using endoscopic technique without surgical intervention (for example, endoscopic submucosal dissection). The department also has internationally recognized experience in endoscopic treatment of pancreatitis and its complications. In the case of urgent clinical conditions, such as haemorrhages or acute pancreatitis, the specially trained team of doctors provides round-the-clock medical care for patients.
In the field of hepatology, the department offers the diagnostics and treatment of all liver diseases. Of particular interest are new aspects of the treatment of viral hepatitis B and C.
A special focus of the department is diabetology. The doctors in this field specialize in the treatment of type I and type 2 diabetes mellitus, complications of diabetes mellitus, particularly diabetic foot syndrome. The department provides many individual consultations, during which the specialist talks about the importance of blood glucose control, proper nutrition, as well as answers to all patient’s questions of interest. In addition, the department holds special training seminars, which offer the very latest training programs, for example, the PRIMAS program (treatment and training program on the proper lifestyle for people with type I diabetes mellitus).
The department's range of diagnostic services includes:
- Endoscopic diagnostics
- Gastroscopy and colonoscopy, including chromoendoscopy
- Enteroscopy using a single-balloon enteroscope and capsule endoscopy
- Capsule endoscopy
- Non-endoscopic diagnostics
- Ultrasound examinations
- Ultrasound scan of the abdominal cavity with interventional procedures and biopsy
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound examinations
- Endosonography using longitudinal scanner and interventional procedures
- Contrast-enhanced endosonography
- Endosonography using a high-resolution mini-probe
- Rectal endosonography with transverse scanning
- Functional diagnostics
- Breathing tests (lactose, lactulose, fructose, glucose)
- Esophageal manometry
- 24-hour pH-metry
- Comprehensive liver examination (including biopsy)
- Other diagnostic methods
The department's therapeutic options include:
- Endoscopic mucosal resection
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection
- Endoscopic treatment of cancers at an early stage
- Radiofrequency ablation for Barrett's esophagus
- Radiofrequency ablation for bile duct tumors
- Argon plasma coagulation
- Treatment of esophageal varices using injections of histoacryl or latex ligation technique
- Bougienage or dilation in case of stenoses
- Stenting of all parts of the gastrointestinal tract
- Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiodrainage
- Complex pancreatic operations, including cyst drainage and retroperitoneal endoscopic necrectomy
- Treatment of pancreatic duct pathology
- Endoscopic treatment of wounds and abscesses
- Electrohydraulic contact lithotripsy
- Transarterial chemoembolization for liver tumors
- Formation of the transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt in cirrhosis and severe ascites
- Selective internal radiation therapy for liver tumors
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for pancreatic stones (in collaboration with the Department of Urology)
- Outpatient treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis C
- Other medical services
- 1973 - 1979 Study of Medicine at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg, Freiburg im Breisgau.
- 1977 - 1978 Suspension of training for writing a thesis on the subject "Ribonucleic particles of nuclei of rat liver cells: low-molecular RNA as components of nuclear pre-messengers of RNA-protein complexes", Institute of Biochemistry at the University of Freiburg (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Peter K. Henry).
- 1979 - 1980 Continuation of the Study of Medicine at the Georg August University of Göttingen.
- 1980 Admission to medical practice (Lower Saxony Examination Office).
- 12.1980 - 04.1981 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology.
- 05.1981 - 09.1982 Research Fellow, Center for Internal Medicine, University of Ulm, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders.
- 11.1982 - 11.1984 Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Peptides and Biology, Salk Institute, La Hoya, California, USA (Head: Wiley U. Vale), doctoral thesis defense with scholarship from the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 12.1984 - 02.1992 Assistant Physician, Department of Gastroenterology and Endocrinology, University Hospital Göttingen.
- 07.1991 Specialization in Internal Medicine, Medical Chamber of Lower Saxony.
- 12.1991 Specialization in Gastroenterology, Medical Chamber of Lower Saxony.
- 03.1992 - 09.1995 Senior Physician, Section of Endoscopic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf (focus on interventional endoscopy, endosonography).
- 10.1995 - 06.2001 Research Fellow of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt, Senior Physician and Head of the Section of Endoscopy in the Department of Internal Medicine II. Habilitation in Internal Medicine and Venia Legendi, Georg-August University of Goettingen.
- Since 07.2001 Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectology and Diabetology at the University Hospital Oldenburg.
- Since 06.2013 Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine with specialization in Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine and Health, University of Oldenburg.
- 01.2016 Chief Physician at the University Hospital Oldenburg.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Oldenburg AöR
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectology and Diabetology.
University Hospital Oldenburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.