University Hospital Oldenburg
Department of Oncology and Hematology (364652)
Specialized in: oncology, hematology
About the department
The Department of Oncology and Hematology at the University Hospital Oldenburg offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The department provides the diagnostics and treatment of all oncological diseases, benign and malignant blood diseases. The therapeutic options of the department include standard treatment methods, innovative protocols of therapy, as well as international treatment concepts. To ensure comprehensive and most effective treatment, there is maintained close cooperation with many departments of the hospital. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Claus-Henning Köhne.
The treatment starts with the comprehensive examination and individual consultations. The department has at its disposal many effective methods for cancer treatment. Of particular importance in oncology is an individual approach and the development of the treatment tactics according to a specific clinical case. The method of treatment is determined at the interdisciplinary tumor board, in which all the necessary specialists take part, namely, surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, radiation therapists and others. The tumor is mostly performed by means of surgery. Thanks to modern surgical methods and advanced technologies, many operations can be performed using a minimally invasive technique, which contributes to speedy postoperative recovery and minimal pain. However, one operation may not be enough, so surgical treatment can be supplemented with high-quality chemotherapy, including high-dose chemotherapy, immunotherapy or radiation therapy. In case of incurable diseases, the department’s specialists prescribe palliative care, which aims to prevent complications and tumor growth.
In the field of hematology, the department offers the treatment of all benign and malignant diseases of the blood and lymphatic system, including blood clotting disorders. The main method of treating blood cancer is classical or high-dose chemotherapy. The high-dose therapy is only used if the chances of recovery with standard chemotherapy are rather low. This type of therapy has a number of side effects, but it guarantees a high chance of recovery.
The department provides the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Acute and chronic leukemias
- Benign blood diseases
- Blood clotting disorders
- Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Skin tumors
- Head and neck tumors
- Bronchial tumors
- Mediastinal tumors
- Esophageal tumors
- Stomach tumors
- Pancreatic tumors
- Liver tumors
- Bile duct tumors
- Tumors of the small intestine and carcinoids
- Tumors of the large intestine and rectum
- Breast tumors
- Tumors of the female genital organs
- Kidney tumors
- Tumors of the urinary tract
- Germ cell tumors
- Tumors of the male reproductive organs
- Soft tissue sarcomas
- Connective tissue tumors
- Other diseases
- 1978 - 1985 Study of Medicine at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1982 - 1983 University of Glasgow, Scotland, Grant from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
- 1986 - 1987 Department of Cardiology and Gastroenterology, Robert Koch Hospital, Gehrden.
- 1988 - 1995 Hannover Medical School.
- 1995 - 1998 Senior Physician, Department of Hematology, Oncology and Tumor Immunology, Robert Roessle Hospital at the Charite, Humboldt University of Berlin (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Bernd Dörken).
- 1998 - 2001 Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Hematology and Oncology, University of Rostock (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Matthias Freund).
- 2001 - 2004 C3 Professorship, Internal Medicine (focus on oncology), Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden, Technical University of Dresden (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Gerhard Eninger).
- Head of the Department of Oncology and Hematology, University Hospital Oldenburg.
- 1985 Admission to medical practice.
- 1987 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 1995 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1995 Board certification in Hematology and Internal Oncology.
- 1995 Examinations of the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) on Internal Oncology.
- 2000 PD for Internal Medicine, University of Rostock.
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR).
- Working Group on Internal Oncology.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- German Society of Hematology and Oncology (DGHO).
- Working Group on Gastroenterology of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer.
- European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO).
- Head of the School of Oncology, Hematology, Palliative Care at the Academy of Wilside.
- International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG).
Cooperation in Scientific Committees and Professional Societies
- Founding Member of the Pancreatic Cancer Control Program (PETACC).
- Coordinator of the PETACC Study 2.
- Research Coordinator No. 40952, 40986, 40015, European Organization for Research on the Treatment of Cancer (EORTC).
- Secretary of the Working Group on Gastroenterology, EORTC (2001 - 2007).
- Member of the Editorial Board "Annals of Oncology".
- Adviser to the European Regulatory Authority (European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicines), London.
- Adviser of the Institute for Quality and Health Research AQUA (Göttingen).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Oldenburg AöR
Department of Oncology and Hematology.
University Hospital Oldenburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.