University Hospital Saarland Homburg
Department of Neurology (395680)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
The Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Saarland offers the full range of services in this medical field. It treats all neurological diseases at the most modern international level using the very latest scientific achievements. The main clinical focuses include the diagnostics and treatment of cerebral circulation disorders, inflammatory diseases, neurodegenerative diseases that lead to motor disorders and memory problems. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Klaus Fassbender.
In the field of scientific research, of particular interest is the study diseases of the central nervous system in order to optimize their treatment.
One of the most important focuses of the department is the treatment of stroke. To do this, the department has a state-of-the-art stroke unit (16 beds), fitted out with the cutting-edge technical equipment and highly effective monitoring systems. It provides a competent medical care to patients with all types of stroke, for example, in emergency care, doctors use thrombolytic therapy, catheter angiography, mechanical removal of the blood clot, which caused vascular occlusion and impaired blood flow to the brain. Primary care is followed by the treatment of complications of stroke and identification of its causes, development of an individual plan for the prevention and optimization of risk factors (for example, high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus, high lipid levels in the blood, smoking, overweight, sedentary lifestyle, etc.).
Diagnostic options of the department:
- X-ray studies
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Extracranial dopplerography and duplex sonography of the blood vessels supplying blood to the brain
- Evaluation of cerebral blood flow
- Transcranial doppler and duplex sonography of the cerebral vessels
- Detection of cerebral embolism
- Assessment of vasomotor reserve of cerebral circulation
- Sonography of brain parenchyma (to determine the size of the ventricles of the brain, imaging of brain tumors, hemorrhages in the brain, imaging of the brain stem in Parkinson's disease)
- Clinical neurophysiology
- Examination of autonomic nervous system with autonomic cardiovascular functions
- Electroencephalography (for example, for the diagnosis of epilepsy)
- Evoked potentials (for example, for the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
- Examination of movement disorders (laboratory of movement analysis)
- Spinal fluid analysis
- Other diagnostic methods
Therapeutic options of the department:
- Deep brain stimulation (for example, in Parkinson's disease)
- Botulinum toxin injections
- Treatment of epilepsy
- Treatment of dementia
- Treatment of stroke
- Treatment of inflammatory diseases of the brain and spinal cord
- Treatment of neurodegenerative disorders
- Treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Treatment of Parkinson's disease
- Treatment of neuromuscular diseases
- Treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Other therapeutic services
- Education: Wayne State University (USA), Padua University (Italy), Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- Thesis defense, Institute of Pathology at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. med. R. v. Baumgarten).
- 7/1989 -12/1990 Work in the Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital of Basel (Head: Prof. Dr. W. Müller).
- 1/1991 - 1/1992 Work at the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. F. Holsboer).
- 2/1992 - 2/2002 Work at the Neurologic Clinic Mannheim, Heidelberg University (Head: Prof. Dr. M. Hennerici).
- 4/1997 Habilitation. Subject: "Pathological mechanisms of ischemic neurodegeneration".
- 3/2002 - 11/2004 C3 Professor, Leading Senior Physician, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Göttingen (Head: Prof. Dr. M. Bähr).
- Since 12/2004 Head of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Saarland.
- 11/2006 President in the main commission "Dementia", DGN.
- 7/2007 - 7/2009 Vice President, Planning and Development Strategy, Saarland University.
- 12/2008 Founding Director of the German Institute for the Prevention of Dementia (DIDP).
- 3/2010 Board Member of the European Association of Memory Clinics (EMCA).
- 1/2016 President of the European Association of Memory Clinics (EMCA).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Saarland Homburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.