University Hospital Saarland Homburg
Department of Pediatric Cardiology (395683)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiology
About the Department of Pediatric Cardiology at University Hospital Saarland Homburg
The Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Saarland Homburg offers the full range of services for the diagnostics and treatment of cardiovascular diseases in children and adolescents. The department's main focus is the provision of medical care to young patients with congenital heart defects. The medical facility is certified as a supraregional Adult Congenital Heart Disease Center by the German Cardiac Society (DGK), the German Society of Pediatric Cardiology (DGPK), and the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (DHTHG). In addition, the department has the status of a Competence Center for Congenital Heart Disease in Children. The department's doctors maintain close cooperation with the Departments of Pediatrics and Neonatology, specialists in adult cardiology, thoracic and cardiovascular surgery, and obstetricians and gynecologists to ensure comprehensive medical care and achieve optimal treatment results. More than 800 patients are treated in the department, and about 135 interventions are performed here annually. The hearts of young patients are in the safe hands of a highly specialized team of cardiologists with impressive clinical experience. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hashim Abdul-Khaliq.
Like other diseases, cardiac pathologies require comprehensive heart diagnostics with modern methods. The department has the necessary technical resources for 3D echocardiography, transthoracic echocardiography, transesophageal echocardiography, and electrocardiography, including stress electrocardiography, spiroergometry, 24-hour blood pressure monitoring, and electrophysiological studies. Thanks to cooperation with specialized departments, young patients can also undergo myocardial scintigraphy, cardiac computed tomography, and magnetic resonance imaging. With appropriate clinical indications, diagnostic cardiac catheterization procedures can be performed. Together with obstetricians and gynecologists, pediatric cardiologists perform fetal echocardiography, with the help of which the specialists can detect heart disease as early as the 15th week of pregnancy.
The department's specialists are distinguished by excellent qualifications in the field of interventional treatment of congenital heart diseases in children. Since such a diagnosis as heart disease, in most cases, shocks parents and children, negatively affects their emotional state and causes fear and despair, the department's highly qualified psychologist provides patients with the necessary psychological care. Physicians are most often encountered with atrial and interventricular septal defects, patent foramen ovale, and pulmonary valve stenosis.
Interventional procedures for the repair of congenital heart diseases in children are carried out in an advanced Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory equipped with a two-projection X-ray device for the heart and blood vessels. This device is specifically designed for catheter-based examinations and interventional therapeutic procedures in children and adults with congenital heart disease. Catheterization can be performed under sedation or general anesthesia. The optimal type of anesthesia is determined by the patient's attending physician.
The department's range of diagnostic and therapeutic services includes:
- 3D echocardiography
- Transthoracic echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Electrocardiography, including stress electrocardiography
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Electrophysiological studies
- Myocardial scintigraphy
- Cardiac computed tomography
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging
- Diagnostic cardiac catheterization
- Fetal echocardiography
- Interventional therapy for congenital heart disease: closure of atrial and interventricular septal defects, patent foramen ovale, and other procedures
- Emergency medical care for congenital heart disease in newborns
- Balloon dilatation and stent implantation for congenital coronary artery stenosis
- Follow-up care for adult patients with congenital heart disease
- Other diagnostic and treatment methods
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Hashim Abdul-Khaliq
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 10.1981 - 05.1988 Study of Medicine at the Hannover Medical School, medical exam in Hanover.
- 04.1989 - 04.1990 Assistant Physician in the Department of Pediatric Pulmonology and Immunology at the Hannover Medical School.
- 02.1990 Doctor of Medicine at the Hannover Medical School. Subject: "The quality of primary health care in pediatric rheumatic diseases. Atypical juvenile spondylitis; diagnostic criteria".
- 06.1990 - 08.1993 Assistant Physician in the department of Neonatology of the Children's Hospital Auguste Victoria in Berlin (Prof. Dr. M. Obladen).
- 08.1993 - 09.2000 Assistant Physician of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Treatment of Congenital Heart Diseases in the German Heart Center in Berlin (Prof. Dr. P.E. Lange).
- 11.1996 Medical Specialist in Pediatrics, Berlin Medical Association.
- 03.1997 Board certification in Pediatric Cardiology, Berlin Medical Association.
- 07.1998 - 08.1998 Stay at the Institut de Puériculture de Paris to deepen knowledge in the field of embryonic echocardiography (Dr. Laurent Fermont, Paris).
- 09.2000 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Cardiology and the Treatment of Congenital Heart Diseases, German Heart Center in Berlin, Leading Position in the field of invasive and non-invasive diagnostics and therapy, as well as in postoperative intensive care.
- 10.2002 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Pediatrics, Humboldt University of Berlin. Subject: "Research on the development of neuroprotective strategies in the surgical treatment of congenital heart diseases".
- 04.2004 Head of the Querschnittprojekt (echocardiography in the network of Centers for Congenital Heart Diseases).
- 09.2005 Professor (W2) of Pediatric Cardiology, University Hospital Saarland.
- 04.2006 Board certification in Pediatric Intensive Care, Berlin Medical Association.
- 04.2006 Head of the Research Project "Resynchronization therapy in children with heart failure and adults with congenital heart diseases" within the network of Centers for Congenital Heart Diseases.
- 08.2006 Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Saarland Homburg.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Member of the German Society of Pediatric Cardiology.
- Member of the German Society of Cardiology.
- Member of the Association of European Pediatric Cardiologists (AEPC).
- Member of the Working Group on Heart and Lung Transplantation in Childhood.
- Member of the American Society of Echocardiography.
- Member of the Society for Pediatric Intensive Care (PCICS).
- Member of the Working Group "Adults with Congenital Heart Defects" (10/2008 elected as the 2nd Chairman).
- Board Member of the network of Centers for Congenital Heart Diseases.
- Member of the scientific and medical advisory council Marfan-Hilfe (Germany).
- Member of the German-Arab Medical Society.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes
Department of Pediatric Cardiology.
University Hospital Saarland Homburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.