University Hospital Saarland Homburg
Department of Pediatric Cardiology (395683)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiology
About the Department of Pediatric Cardiology at University Hospital Saarland Homburg
The Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Saarland offers the full range of services in this medical field. The department annually treats more than 800 inpatients and performs about 135 surgical interventions. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hashim Abdul-Khaliq.
The main specialization of the department is the diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart diseases. To ensure comprehensive medical care and optimal treatment results, there is maintained close cooperation with the Departments of Pediatrics and Neonatology, Pediatric Oncology and Hematology, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
Since such a diagnosis as heart disease, in most cases, shocks parents and the child, negatively affects the emotional state, causes fear and despair, the department offers assistance of a highly qualified psychologist. The services of this kind are also provided at the postoperative stage, which is also characterized by certain difficulties.
Diagnostic services of the department include:
- Monitoring of the patient after a cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) implantation
- Diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension
- Diagnosis and monitoring of patients with congenital heart diseases
- Electrophysiological diagnosis
- Diagnosis of heart failure
- Cardiac catheterization and coronary angiography
- Telemetry monitoring of heart function
- Holter monitoring
- Left heart catheter diagnosis
- Right heart catheter diagnosis
- Cardiac MRI
- Nuclear diagnostics
- Patient monitoring after pacemaker implantation
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Cardiac CT
- Prenatal diagnosis of all congenital heart defects from the 15th week of pregnancy (in close cooperation with the Section of Prenatal Diagnostics)
- Diagnosis of Marfan syndrome (within the framework of an interdisciplinary outpatient clinic)
- Other diagnostic options
Therapeutic services of the department include:
- Removal of a pacemaker with a laser
- Heart transplantation
- Implantation of heart support systems
- High-frequency ablation in heart arrhythmias
- Hybrid surgery
- Interventional therapy for congenital heart disease
- Interventional procedures to close atrial and ventricular septal defects
- Drug therapy for heart failure
- Drug therapy for pulmonary hypertension
- Drug therapy for heart arrhythmias
- Emergency medical care for congenital heart defects in newborns
- Surgical treatment of pulmonary hypertension
- Pacemaker implantation
- Stenting in congenital vascular stenosis
- Defibrillator implantation
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Treatment of myocardial heart failure
- Treatment of Marfan syndrome (within the framework of an interdisciplinary outpatient clinic)
- Other therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Hashim Abdul-Khaliq
- 10/1981 - 5/1988 Study of Medicine at the Hannover Medical School, medical exam in Hanover.
- 4/1989 - 4/1990 Assistant Physician in the Department of Pediatric Pulmonology and Immunology at the Hannover Medical School (Prof. Dr. H. von der Hardt).
- 2/1990 Doctor of Medicine at the Hannover Medical School. Subject: "The quality of primary health care in pediatric rheumatic diseases. Atypical juvenile spondylitis; diagnostic criteria ".
- 6/1990 - 8/1993 Assistant Physician in the department of Neonatology of the Children's Hospital Auguste Victoria in Berlin (Prof. Dr. M. Obladen).
- 8/1993 - 9/2000 Assistant Physician of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Treatment of Congenital Heart Diseases in the German Heart Center in Berlin (Prof. Dr. P.E. Lange).
- 11/1996 Medical Specialist in Pediatrics, Berlin Medical Association.
- 3/1997 Medical Specialist in Pediatric Cardiology, Berlin Medical Association.
- 7/1998 - 8/1998 Stay at the Institut de Puériculture de Paris to deepen knowledge in the field of embryonic echocardiography (Dr. Laurent Fermont, Paris).
- 9/2000 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Cardiology and the Treatment of Congenital Heart Diseases, German Heart Center in Berlin, Leading Position in the field of invasive and non-invasive diagnostics and therapy, as well as in postoperative intensive care.
- 10/2002 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Pediatrics, Humboldt University of Berlin. Subject: "Research on the development of neuroprotective strategies in the surgical treatment of congenital heart diseases".
- 4/2004 Head of the Querschnittprojekt (echocardiography in the network of Centers for Congenital Heart Diseases).
- 9/2005 Professor (W2) of Pediatric Cardiology, University Hospital Saarland.
- 4/2006 Medical Specialist in Pediatric Intensive Care, Berlin Medical Association.
- 4/2006 Head of the Research Project "Resynchronization therapy in children with heart failure and adults with congenital heart diseases" within the network of Centers for Congenital Heart Diseases.
- 8/2006 Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Saarland.
- Member of the German Society of Pediatric Cardiology.
- Member of the German Society of Cardiology.
- Member of the Association of European Pediatric Cardiologists (AEPC).
- Member of the Working Group on Heart and Lung Transplantation in Childhood.
- Member of the American Society of Echocardiography.
- Member of the Society for Pediatric Intensive Care (PCICS).
- Member of the Working Group "Adults with Congenital Heart Defects" (10/2008 elected as the 2nd Chairman).
- Board Member of the network of Centers for Congenital Heart Diseases.
- Member of the scientific and medical advisory council Marfan-Hilfe (Germany).
- Member of the German-Arab Medical Society.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes
Department of Pediatric Cardiology.
University Hospital Saarland Homburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.