University Hospital Saarland Homburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery (395685)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric cardiothoracic surgery
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery at University Hospital Saarland Homburg
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Saarland offers the full range of services in these medical fields and is one of the few clinics in Germany providing pulmonary endarterectomy. It performs all recognized surgical interventions to treat heart, lung and aortic diseases in adults and children. The department has state-of-the-art medical equipment and competent personnel, which guarantees excellent comprehensive medical care, as well as a friendly, responsive attitude to each patient. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Joachim Schäfers.
One of the most important areas of specialization of the department is the treatment of aortic and mitral valve insufficiency. The surgeons have a unique experience in performing highly effective interventions to reconstruct aortic and mitral valves.
The department’s scope of tasks also includes surgical correction of congenital heart defects of various severity. Surgeries to treat complex heart defects in children are planned and performed in cooperation with the Department of Pediatric Cardiology.
In addition, the competence of the department includes resection of the left ventricular aneurysms in conditions of limited cardiac function. If all other therapeutic methods to treat heart failure do not yield positive results or are not applicable, the patient should undergo heart transplantation.
The specialists of the department regularly perform all kinds of surgical interventions in the lung and mediastinum. In lung cancer resection, every effort is made to preserve lung tissue.
In chronic pulmonary embolism, pulmonary thromboendarterectomy is routinely performed, whereas in case of irreversible pulmonary insufficiency there should be performed either lung or heart-lung transplant.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Aortic and mitral valve reconstruction
- Prosthetic repair of the thoracic and abdominal part of the aorta
- Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy
- Surgical interventions on the lungs and mediastinal organs
- Prosthetic repair of the aorta through transfemoral and transapical access
- Surgery of heart, vascular, mediastinal and lung tumors
- Heart, lung and heart-lung transplantation
- Surgery of congenital heart disease in children
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Joachim Schäfers
From 1976 to 1982, Hans-Joachim Schäfers studied medicine at the University of Essen. In 1982, he also received his doctorate (magna cum laude) there. After military service, he completed his education in surgery at the Hannover Medical School, which was followed by a one-year internship in the Department of Thoracic Surgery at the University of Toronto (a special focus on lung transplantation). Since 1991, he has served as a Senior Physician of the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Hannover Medical School, where in 1992 he also underwent habilitation. In 1995, the doctor took up the post of the Acting Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Saarland. In 1996, he headed this department and was appointed as a Full Professor of Surgery. His special clinical focuses include aortic aneurysm surgery (especially aneurysm of the thoracic part of the aorta), heart valve reconstruction and surgical treatment of pulmonary hypertension.
Membership in the Scientific Associations
- American Association of Cardiology.
- American Association of Thoracic Surgery.
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
- American College of Thoracic Surgeons.
- European Association of Cardiology.
- European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- German Society of Surgery.
- German Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- German Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- German Society of Transplantology.
- German Society of Cardiology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery.
University Hospital Saarland Homburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.