University Hospital Saarland Homburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Orthopedic Surgery (395686)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric orthopedics, orthopedic surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Orthopedic Surgery at the University Hospital Saarland offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in these medical focuses. The department specializes in conservative and surgical treatment of all diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Surgical interventions are performed in the state-of-the-art operating rooms, while conservative options include physiotherapy with therapeutic baths, gym, swimming, electrotherapy, massage and other therapeutic options. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dieter Kohn.
In addition to successful clinical practice, the department can boast of outstanding research activities within its own Laboratory for Biomechanics. It conducts a variety of biomechanical studies of new implants and surgical techniques. At the moment, active research is being carried out in the field of knee and shoulder surgery. In addition, in close cooperation with the Department of Trauma Surgery, osteosynthesis procedure stability is being studied.
A special diagnostic offer of the department is X-ray diffraction analysis used in many orthopedic studies, since its high accuracy allows to accurately measure the movement of implants and bones in fractures, osteosynthesis, spondylodesis and endoprosthetic replacement.
The service range of the department includes:
Endoprosthetic replacement (primary and revision interventions)
- Hip replacement surgery
- Knee replacement surgery
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Elbow replacement surgery
- Other services
- Treatment of hip diseases in children
- Hip dysplasia (screening, conservative and surgical treatment)
- Perthes disease
- Diseases of the femoral head epiphysis
- Other pathologies
- Treatment of malformations in children
- Congenital clubfoot
- Hollow foot
- Other malformations
- Treatment of infantile cerebral palsy
- Conservative therapy (for example, botulinum toxin injections)
- Surgical treatment (for example, osteosynthesis)
- Correction of the lower limb length discrepancy
- Deformity correction (for example, O-shaped and X-shaped legs)
Special spinal surgery
- Intervertebral disc surgery (classical and endoscopic)
- Intervertebral disc replacement
- Dorsoventral stabilization
- Endoscopic ventral fusions
- Other surgical interventions
Arthroscopy, sports orthopedics, sports traumatology
- Arthroscopic and open surgery of all major joints
- Treatment of shoulder diseases
- Treatment of elbow diseases
- Treatment of wrist diseases
- Treatment of knee diseases (including ligament replacement, cartilage replacement, meniscus reconstruction, meniscus transplantation)
- Treatment of hip diseases
- Treatment of ankle diseases
- Other services
- Surgical treatment of tumors of the upper and lower extremities, pelvic organs and spine with a special focus on organ-preserving surgery of the extremities and stabilizing interventions on the spine
- Treatment of osteoid osteoma (minimally invasive therapy)
- Comprehensive treatment of tumors (in cooperation with the related disciplines)
- Weekly interdisciplinary tumor boards
- Other services
- All types of interventions
- Interdisciplinary consultations with the involvement of specialists in orthopedics and bacteriology
- Use of medical pads with antibiotics
- Other services
- Since 1996 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Orthopedic Surgery at the University Hospital Saarland, Chair of Orthopedics.
- 1990 Habilitation, Hannover Medical School.
- 1978 Doctor’s Degree at the University of Ulm.
- 1972 - 1978 Education at the University of Ulm.
Membership in the Scientific Societies and Committees (selected)
- 2011 President of the German Society of Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery (DGOOC).
- 2006 - 2008 President of the German Society of Orthopedic Traumatology and Sports Medicine (GOTS).
- 1995 - 1998 President of the German-speaking Working Group on Arthroscopy (AGA).
Awards and Memberships (selected)
- 2007 Member of the German Academy of Naturalists "Leopoldina".
- 2004 Honorary Member of the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA).
- 2001 Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (Fellows of RCS Edinburgh).
- 1991 Honorary Member of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine.
- 1991 John J. Joyce Award of the International Arthroscopy Association (IAA).
- 1988 Michael Jäger Prize of the Society for Orthopedic Traumatology and Sports Medicine.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Orthopedic Surgery.
University Hospital Saarland Homburg:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home