University Hospital Saarland Homburg
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology, Diabetology and Nutritional Medicine (396615)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, endocrinology, diabetology, nutritional medicine
About the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology, Diabetology and Nutritional Medicine at University Hospital Saarland Homburg
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology, Diabetology and Nutritional Medicine at the University Hospital Saarland offers the full range of services in these medical fields. It diagnoses and treats acute and chronic liver diseases, chronic and inflammatory bowel diseases, tumors of the whole gastrointestinal tract, as well as provides preparation for liver transplantation and follow-up care after the operation. In addition, the department specializes in the treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes (certification of the German Diabetes Society) and offers competent advice in nutritional medicine. The department is headed by the world-famous specialist Prof. Dr. med. Frank Lammert.
To ensure accurate diagnosis, the department has an Endoscopy Unit fitted out with innovative medical equipment. It provides all diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic examinations of the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, bile ducts, pancreas. Of particular interest is local therapy for gastrointestinal and liver tumors (local ablative procedures, photodynamic therapy, cholangioscopy).
Diagnostic option of the department:
- Angiography for the diagnosis of gastrointestinal bleedings
- Imaging-guided biopsy
- Examinations for the diagnosis of bowel cancer
- Diagnosis of intestinal congenital malformations
- Diagnosis of malignant diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Diagnosis of chronic bowel diseases
- Diagnosis of chronic liver diseases
- Diagnosis of impaired intestinal absorption (malabsorption)
- Gastrointestinal endoscopy, including biopsy
- Endoscopic imaging of the biliary tract and pancreas
- Liver biopsy
- Intragastric pH-metry
- Colon video endoscopy
- Small bowel video endoscopy
- Genetic diagnostic testing (to exclude or confirm the high probability of inheritance of certain gastrointestinal diseases)
- Other diagnostic services
Therapeutic options of the department:
- Bile duct dilatation and stenting
- Treatment of chronic liver diseases
- Treatment of esophageal stenosis, including stenting
- Transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) of liver
- Chemotherapy for the treatment of gastrointestinal malignant tumors
- Endoscopic hemostasis in gastrointestinal bleeding
- Endoscopic removal of colon polyps
- Endoscopic removal of bile duct stones
- Endoscopic sclerotherapy for the treatment of esophageal varices
- Removal of foreign bodies from the gastrointestinal tract
- Liver transplantation (preparation and follow-up)
- Port system implantation
- Treatment of chronic bowel diseases (for example, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Implantation of permanent feeding tubes (PEG, PEJ)
- Treatment of type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Counseling on healthy nutrition in various diseases
- Other therapeutic services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Frank Lammert
Prof. Dr. med. Frank Lammert received his education in Düsseldorf and Aachen (fellowship). Since 1995 till 1997, he has been a Fellow of the German Research Society at Harvard Medical School in Boston (USA). In 2001, the doctor had his habilitation in internal medicine, RWTU Aachen. In 2002, he became a Junior Professor in Molecular and Clinical Hepatology. In 2004, he became a Professor in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at the University of Bonn. In 2007, he received an invitation to post of the Professor at the Department of Internal Medicine (Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology, Diabetology and Nutritional Medicine) at the University of Saarland and Head of the Department of Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Saarland.
- Thannhauser Award of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Disorders.
- Theodor Frerichs Award of the German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Board Member of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Disorders.
- Member of the German Society of Endocrinology.
- Member of the German Society of Diabetology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology, Diabetology and Nutritional Medicine.
University Hospital Saarland Homburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.