University Hospital Saarland Homburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology (397875)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Saarland offers the full range of services in this medical focus. To provide comprehensive medical care, the department has a modern infrastructure: operating rooms equipped with the state-of-the-art technology, various innovative laser devices for diagnostic and invasive procedures, a specialized outpatient clinic for the treatment of neuro-ophthalmic diseases and visual impairment in children. A special feature of the department is the LIONS Saar-Lor-Lux Eye Bank, within which the removal, cultivation and transplantation of the cornea is performed. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Berthold Seitz.
In the field of outpatient treatment, the focus is on the therapy of corneal, retinal, macular, eyelid and orbital diseases, as well as on the treatment of glaucoma. The treatment of patients with cataract is provided within the specialized outpatient surgical center (about 2,800 operations per year). Also, this center offers many sparing techniques for eliminating other vision problems, surgical treatment planning and diagnostics. The spectrum of outpatient services is complemented by intravitreal injections for the treatment of macular degeneration, a wide range of eyelid surgery and laser therapy for the treatment of glaucoma, changes after cataracts, retinal diseases in diabetes mellitus.
The range of inpatient services of the department:
- Full spectrum of corneal surgery (LIONS Saar-Lor-Lux Eye Bank), including corneal refractive surgery, lamellar and penetrating keratoplasty
- Surgical treatment of glaucoma in children, as well as primary, secondary and complicated forms of glaucoma in adults (including fistulizing and cyclodestructive procedures)
- Refractive cataract surgery and implantation of intraocular lenses in adults and children (including implantation of multifocal artificial lenses, also in combination with corneal surgery, antiglaucomatous surgery and interventions on the lens)
- Vitreous and retinal surgery
- Organ preservation oncosurgery
- (lamellar resection and resection of malignant tumors of the anterior and posterior segments of the eye with a single procedure)
- Eye muscle surgery in adults and children
- Plastic surgery of the eyelids and external areas of the eye, reconstructive surgery of both external and endonasal lacrimal ducts
- Combined orbital surgery (in cooperation with Departments of Otolaryngology, Maxillofacial Surgery, Neurosurgery)
- Early diagnosis of glaucoma with the use of perimetry, 24-hour intraocular pressure measurement, 24-hour intraocular pressure measurement, Heidelberg retinal tomography
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
The department’s spectrum of services in the field of outpatient treatment:
- Individual selection of contact lenses, including special lenses
- Diagnosis of refractive errors (assessment of corneal refraction, aberrometry, Pentacam test, ultrasound oculometry, visual acuity assessment with the use of comprehensive electrophysiological studies)
- Early diagnosis of glaucoma with the help of the Tensio monitoring system, perimetry, matrix perimetry and Heidelberg retinal tomography
- Early diagnosis of age-related maculopathy with the help of laser scanning ophthalmoscopy, fluorescent and indocyanine angiography
- Early diagnosis of hereditary diseases (for example, retinitis pigmentosa)
- Consultations for patients with visual impairments, selection of optical devices for vision correction
- Monitoring of the course of inflammatory eye diseases with the use of laser devices
- Outpatient treatment of eye diseases with the use of an argon laser, Nd-YAG laser, diode laser cyclophotocoagulation
- Intravitreal injections of drugs (Macugen, Lucentis, Avastin) for the treatment of age-related macular degeneration
- Photodynamic therapy for the treatment of age-related macular degeneration and associated pathological processes
- Outpatient surgical treatment
- Laser surgery
- Eyelid surgery
- Uncomplicated interventions on the vitreous and retina
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 11/1981 - 05/1988 Study of Medicine at the Friedrich-Alexander University in Erlangen.
- 05/1988 Admission to medical practice (approbation).
- Since 07/1989 Fellow and Assistant Physician in the Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Erlangen-Nürnberg.
- 09/1993 Medical Specialist in Ophthalmology (Munich).
- 05/1996 European Examination Board, Exam in Ophthalmology, Paris (FEBO).
- Since 09/2002 C3 Professor and Associate Professor in Ophthalmology.
- Since 03/2006 Head of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Saarland.
Membership in the Scientific Societies and Associations
- German Ophthalmological Society (DOG).
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO).
- Professional Association of Ophthalmologists in Germany (BVA).
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
- German Transplantation Society (DTG).
- European Association for Vision and Eye Research (EVER).
- Association of German Eye Banks.
- Founding Member and Representative of the Section for Corneal Diseases in the German Ophthalmological Society.
- International Society of Dacryology and Dry Eye (ISD&DE).
- European Eye Bank Association (EEBA).
- Cornea Society.
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS).
- Member of the National Academy of Naturalists "Leopoldina".
- German Committee for the Prevention of Blindness (DKVB).
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology.
University Hospital Saarland Homburg:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home