University Hospital Saarland Homburg
Department of Nuclear Medicine (405787)
Specialized in: nuclear medicine
About the Department of Nuclear Medicine at University Hospital Saarland Homburg
The Department of Nuclear Medicine at the University Hospital Saarland offers patients the full range of modern diagnostic and treatment methods in the field of nuclear medicine. The department is known as the largest medical facility of its kind in the South-West Germany. Treatment of thyroid diseases and oncological pathologies belongs to the main priorities of the department. The department is led by Prof. Dr. med. Samer Ezziddin.
Prof. Dr. Samer Ezziddin is an international expert in the treatment of neuroendocrine tumors and targeted radionuclide therapy. He also specializes in radioembolization, thyroid diagnostics and multimodal imaging with the use of PET-CT and SPECT-CT.
The examination to detect oncological diseases involves the use of PET diagnostics, which, if necessary, can be conducted with the participation of specialists in internal medicine, surgical oncology and radiation therapy. Another important examination is the diagnosis of sentinel lymph nodes, which has been conducted for many years on the basis of the Department of Dermatology for melanoma treatment, as well as on the basis of the Breast Center for the diagnosis of sentinel lymph nodes in mammary gland diseases.
Along with the diagnostics, the department also deals with treatment. It uses radioactive drugs that accumulate in the affected organ and provide targeted treatment without harming the rest of the body. Other treatment options include, for example, radioimmunotherapy in lymphomas, pain therapy in skeletal metastases, as well as selective internal radiation therapy for liver metastases.
Thanks to the competent and responsible attitude of the department's specialists, the dose of radiation, in most cases, is minimal, since there are used only small amounts of radioactive substances that quickly decay and can be eliminated from the body. Therefore, with virtually all methods of nuclear medicine, there are no side effects.
The diagnostic range of the department:
- FDG-PET scan
- PSMA PET/CT
- PET/CT to detect amyloid protein (for example, in Alzheimer's disease)
- FET PET-CT in brain tumors
- PET/CT to identify somatostatin receptors
- FDOPA PET/CT
- Sodium Fluoride PET/CT
- Choline PET/CT
- And other diagnostic options
The therapeutic range of services includes the following options:
- Radioiodine therapy
- Radiosynoviorthesis (RSO)
- Radio-phosphorous therapy for bone metastases
- Selective internal radiation therapy
- Peptide receptor targeted radiation therapy
- Therapy for bone metastases
- Targeted radionuclide PSMA-therapy with Lu-177 isotope in metastatic prostate cancer
- Targeted radionuclide PSMA-therapy with Ac-225 isotope in metastatic and recurrent prostate cancer
- And other therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Samer Ezziddin
- Study in Human Medicine at the Goethe University Frankfurt.
- 1997 German and American State Examination.
- 1998 Internship in Endocrinology and Hepatology at the University Hospital Cologne.
- Board certification in Nuclear Medicine, Department of Nuclear Medicine at the University Hospital Bonn.
- 2006 Senior Physician, Department of Nuclear Medicine of the University Hospital Bonn.
- 2008 Leading Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Nuclear Medicine at the University Hospital Bonn.
- Completion of the part-time Master's program "Clinical medical technology" at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms University in Bonn.
- 2014 Appointment as an Acting Head of the Department of Nuclear Medicine at the University Hospital Saarland.
- Professorship in Nuclear Medicine at the Saarland University.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes
Department of Nuclear Medicine.
University Hospital Saarland Homburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.