University Hospital Saarland Homburg
Department of Transplantation Medicine (410693)
Specialized in: transplantation medicine
About the department
The Department of Transplantation Medicine at the University Hospital Saarland offers patients transplantation of various organs. The doctors of the department perform both surgical and therapeutic treatment, develop new surgical techniques and apply the very latest methods of immunological and infectious laboratory tests. The department specializes in liver, lung and kidney transplantation. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Urban Sester.
Liver and bile duct diseases are treated on the basis of the Center for Abdominal Medicine. To resect liver tumors (for example, hepatocellular or cholangiocellular cancer), all surgical methods are used. There is also performed resection of the extrahepatic tumors (including bile duct tumors, tumors of the head of the pancreas, etc.), as well as combined treatment including ablation (cryotherapy, radiofrequency ablation, laser therapy), intra-arterial chemotherapy (SIRT, TACE) and liver transplantation. The department annually performs about 20 liver transplantations and about the same number of lung transplantations.
Kidney transplantation is performed in cooperation with the Department of Nephrology. The advantage of the department is individual medical care "from a single source". A competent team of therapists and urologists leads patients from the time of their first examination to the operation and subsequent outpatient follow-up. Along with kidney transplantation from a deceased donor, a transplantation from a related or unrelated donor can also be performed. At the same time, since 2010, a surgery to obtain donor kidney has been performed with the use of the da Vinci robot. The University Hospital Saarland ranks among the leading German hospitals in the field of this method.
Another important focus of the department's work is transplant and infectious immunology. The specialists of the department actively research the regulation of immune responses of cells, for example, to donor tissues after organ transplantation. A separate emphasis is placed on monitoring of infectious complications in immunosuppression, etc.
The goal of the medical team of the department is to provide patients with an individual medical care in close cooperation with the referring physicians. At the same time, due to active research activities, patients can be sure that the department uses the very latest medical methods and advances.
The main focuses of the Department of Transplantation Medicine include:
- Liver transplantation
- Lung transplantation
- Kidney transplantation
- Transplant Immunology
- Eye bank
- And other options of transplantation medicine
- 1988 - 1995 Study of Medicine at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- 1994 - 1995 One-year practice: Department of Therapy, District Hospital Zofingen, Switzerland; optional subject – psychiatry; University Hospital Freiburg, Department of Surgery, Wetzikon Hospital, Switzerland.
- 1995 The third part of the medical exam.
- 1995 Thesis defense, note "summa cum laude".
- 1995 - 1997 Trainee Doctor at the University Hospital Saarland, Department of Internal Medicine IV (Nephrology).
- 1997 - 2002 Trainee Doctor in the Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Saarland.
- 2002 - 2004 Fellow at the Ruprecht Karls University of Heidelberg, Institute of Immunology.
- Since 2004 Return to the University Hospital Saarland, Department of Internal Medicine IV (Nephrology).
- 2005 Certified Therapist.
- 2007 Defense of the doctoral thesis on Internal Medicine.
- 2007 Senior Physician in Transplantation Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine IV.
- 208 Specialization in Nephrology; the post of the Head of the Transplantation Bureau at the University Hospital Saarland.
- 2008 Commissioner for Transplantation Medicine of the University Hospital Saarland.
- 2011 Responsible for Transplantation Medicine at the University Hospital Saarland.
- 2013 Head of the Transplant Center at the University Hospital Saarland.
- 2014 Appointed as a Visiting Professor of the University of Saarland.
Department of Transplantation Medicine.
University Hospital Saarland Homburg:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home