University Hospital Saarland Homburg
Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology (411437)
Specialized in: oncology, hematology clinical immunology, rheumatology
About the department
The Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology at the University Hospital Saarland offers the full range of services in these fields. The main areas of specialization include the diagnostics and treatment of cancer, diseases of the hematopoietic system, immunologic and rheumatic pathologies. The doctors of the department have many years of successful experience in the field of bone marrow transplantation, as well as in conducting effective chemotherapy. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Stephan Stilgenbauer.
All malignant tumors are treated in close cooperation with other departments of the hospital, especially solid ones. Much attention is paid to the treatment of acute leukemia, chronic myeloproliferative pathologies, multiple myeloma, myelodysplastic syndrome, malignant lymphoma, tumors of the gastrointestinal tract, germ cell tumors and sarcomas. In addition, all benign blood diseases, immunological and rheumatic pathologies are treated. The treatment strategy is developed individually for each patient at the interdisciplinary consultations. The main therapeutic options include all types of modern chemotherapy and immunotherapy.
A great advantage of the department is its productive research activities. Since 1993, the German Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Study Group (DSHNHL) has been working here, which over the past few years has become one of the leading study groups in the field of aggressive lymphoma at the international level with the best research results that have significantly improved the methods of therapy for this disease.
The service range of the department includes the diagnosis and treatment of the following diseases:
- Acute leukemias (acute myeloid leukemia and acute lymphoblastic leukemia)
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia
- Combined immunochemotherapy (anti-CD20 antibodies Rituximab (Mabthera®) in combination with one or more chemotherapeutic drugs, such as fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, bendamustine or chlorambucil)
- Chronic myelogenous leukemia
- Therapy with tyrosine kinase inhibitors (for example, imatinib (Glivec®), dasatinib (Sprycel®), and nilotinib (Tasigna®))
- Chronic myeloproliferative diseases
- Blood collection and and low-dose chemotherapy
- Ruxolitinib (Jakavi®)
- Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Radiation therapy
- Malignant non-Hodgkin's lymphomas
- Multiple myeloma
- Use of immunomodulators
- Inflammatory rheumatic diseases affecting the joints
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Seronegative spondyloarthritis
- Psoriatic arth
- Reactive arthritis
- Other pathologies
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Sjogren's syndrome
- Systemic scleroderma
- Dermatomyositis (polymyositis)
- Other diseases
- Primary systemic vasculitides
- Small vessel vasculitides (for example, ANCA-associated vasculitides)
- Large-vessel vasculitides (for example, Takayasu arteritis, Horton's disease)
- Other pathologies
- Sarcoidosis with extrapulmonary manifestations
- Lyme arthritis
- Autoimmune inflammatory syndromes
- Diseases of the immune system (for example, HIV infection)
- Other pathological conditions
- 10.06.1994 Medical Licensing Examination.
- 1987 - 1994 Study of Medicine at the Heidelberg University.
- 20.10.2005 Visiting Professor.
- 8.10.2002 Habilitation, Internal Medicine, Ulm University (Research Advisor: Prof. Hartmut Döhner).
- 28.12.1994 Doctoral Thesis, Medicine, Heidelberg University (Research Advisor: Prof. Peter P. Nawroth).
- Since 2003 Associate Professor and Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine III, Ulm University.
- Since 1999 Group Leader of the CLL Research Laboratory and the Central Reference Laboratory for Genetics of the GCLLSG.
- 1999 - 2002 Fellowship in Internal Medicine, Hematology, Oncology, Rheumatology, Infectious Diseases; Department of Internal Medicine III, Ulm University (Head: Prof. Dr. H. Döhner).
- 1996 - 1998 Postdoctoral Laboratory Research Fellow, organization of complex genomes, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany (Head: Prof. P. Lichter).
- 1994 - 1999 Residency in Internal Medicine, Hematology, Oncology, Rheumatology; Department of Internal Medicine V, Heidelberg University.
- Head of the Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, University Hospital Saarland.
- German Society of Hematology and Medical Oncology.
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Network of Competence for Malignant Lymphoma.
- German University Association (Deutscher Hochschul Verband).
- European Hematology Association.
- European Association for Cancer Research.
- American Society of Hematology.
Awards and Honors (selected)
- 1993 Scholarship of German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), final year of the Medical School, (Baylor College of Medicine, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center) Houston, Texas, USA.
- 2000 Best Abstract Award, Annual Meeting of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology.
- 2001 Franziska Kolb Award for Leukemia Research, Ulm University.
- 2002 Artur Pappenheim Award of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology.
- 2006 Merckle Research Award, Ulm University.
- 2008 Walther und Christine Richtzenhain Award of the German Cancer Research Center.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes
Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology.
University Hospital Saarland Homburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.