University Hospital Ulm
Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care (228425)
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology, internal intensive care
About the department
The Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care at the University Hospital Ulm offers counseling, diagnostics and treatment in cardiovascular diseases. The department specializes in heart valve diseases, congenital and acquired arrhythmias, coronary heart disease, congenital heart defects, heart failure, etc. The department also includes a Stroke Unit with the Emergency Care Unit. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Wolfgang Rottbauer.
The department ranks among the leaders in catheter treatment of heart valve defects in Germany. The catheter techniques are extensively used in aortic valve replacement and they are the standard method for progressive aortic stenosis treatment (transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)). As shown by numerous examinations, valve transcatheter implantation significantly reduces the risk of possible complications, as well as significantly increases survival rates. Before the intervention, the patient needs an accurate diagnostics with the help of CT, cardiac ultrasound and catheterization to determine an optimal treatment method, as well as the size and type of the valve. The intervention itself is performed in a hybrid operating room equipped with the state-of-art medical equipment.
The specialists of the department are in constant search of new progressive treatment methods. For example, many years of research in the field of heart rhythm disorders have already brought the results. Thus, the department's surgeons for the first time in the world performed a surgical intervention using cryoballoon to treat atrial fibrillation. The department is proud to offer an innovative treatment method to patients with atrial fibrillation.
The service range of the department includes the following options:
- Cardiology: diagnostics and treatment of all heart diseases
- Heart valve diseases
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- MitraClip implantation in mitral valve pathology
- Heart rhythm disorders
- Coronary artery diseases
- Cardiac muscle weakness
- Congenital heart defects
- Arterial hypertension
- Condition after cardiac surgery
- Condition after myocardial infarction
- Vascular diseases
- Angina pectoris
- And other cardiovascular diseases
- Heart valve diseases
- Internal intensive care
- Emergency medical care, stroke unit (CPU)
- Sports and rehabilitation medicine
- And other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- 1987 - 1989 Medical School, University of Regensburg.
- 1989 - 1994 Medical School, Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
- 1992 - 1993 Medical School, Columbia University, New York, USA.
- 1994 Doctoral thesis defense, Cardiology, Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
- 1994 - 1997 Resident and Research Fellow, Cardiology, University of Heidelberg.
- 1997 - 1998 Resident and Research Fellow, Cardiology, University of Lübeck.
- 1998 - 2002 Postdoctoral Scientist, Harvard Medical School, MGH, CVRC (Prof. Dr. med. Fishman).
- 2002 - 2008 Head, Molecular Genetics, University of Heidelberg.
- 2004 - 2006 Board Certification in Internal Medicine and Cardiology.
- 2004 Attending Physician, Department of Cardiology, University of Heidelberg.
- 2008 Vice Chair, Department of Cardiology, University of Heidelberg.
- Since 2010, Head of the Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care at the University Hospital Ulm.
Special Achievements and Awards
- 1998 - 2000 Research grant by the German Research Foundation (DFG) (RO2173/1).
- 2000 - 2002 Trainings grant by the American Heart Association.
- 2003 Oskar Lapp Prize by the German Cardiac Society.
- 2003 - 2005 Hengstberger Research Grant by the German Cardiac Society
Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care.
University Hospital Ulm:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home