University Hospital Ulm
Department of Pediatric Surgery (521645)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Ulm offers the full range of outpatient and inpatient surgical treatment in children of all age groups, including newborns and premature babies. The treatment is provided by the highly qualified surgeons who possess deep knowledges in pediatric anatomy. Surgical interventions are performed in the modern operating rooms equipped with the state-of-art medical equipment and monitoring systems. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Alexandre Serra.
The service range of the department includes:
- General surgery (on an outpatient basis)
- Endoscopic procedures, including under general anesthesia (for example, cystoscopy, colposcopy, rectoscopy and esophagoscopy)
- Colonoscopy (rectoscopy) with biopsy, sphincter examination
- Hernia surgery
- Surgical treatment of hydrocele
- Correction of undescended testicles (orchiopexy)
- Circumcision in phimosis (sparing or complete)
- Meatoplasty (elimination of the urethral narrowing in its last region)
- Removal of small soft tissue tumors
- Laser surgery
- Removal of Hickman catheter and port systems
- Surgical interventions in pediatric urology and gynecology
- Treatment of ovarian cysts, ovarian torsion, laparoscopic examination of the internal genital organs
- Treatment of the internal and external genital diseases (for example, phimosis, epispadias, hypospadias, varicocele, undescended testicles)
- Treatment of urgent urological conditions (for example, testicular torsion, paraphimosis)
- Inguinal hernia treatment
- Treatment of congenital malformations and impaired fluid outflow from the kidneys and urinary tract (for example, hydronephrosis, ureteral stenosis, megaureter)
- Vesicoureteral reflux treatment (for example, open or laparoscopic ureteral reimplantation)
- Genital trauma
- Diagnostics and treatment of enuresis in children
- Bladder pressure measurement, determination of the urethral pressure profile, uroflowmetry
- MRI scan, kidney scintigraphy
- Surgical treatment of urinary incontinence in children (for example,in the case of bladder exstrophy, epispadias, cloacal malformations)
- Treatment of Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster syndrome
- Treatment of sexual development disorders
- Treatment of adrenogenital syndrome (correction of the external genital organs in infancy, early childhood, during puberty and at a young age)
- Clitoral hood reduction plastic surgery
- Introduit plastic
- Neovaginal plastic surgery
- Plastic or correction of the small and large labia
- Surgical treatment of benign and malignant tumors in children and adolescents
- Treatment of malignant solid tumors
- Brain tumors
- Tumors of the sympathetic nervous system (neuroblastomas)
- Soft tissue sarcomas (especially rhabdomyosarcoma)
- Kidney tumors (Wilms tumor)
- Treatment of rare malignant tumors
- Liver tumors (hepatoblastomas and carcinomas)
- Germ cell tumors
- Retinal tumors (retinoblastomas)
- Bone tumors (osteosarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma)
- Treatment of benign tumors
- Sebaceous gland tumors on the face and head, for example, dermoid cyst
- Ganglia in the limbs
- Vascular malformations: hemangioma, lymphangioma and lymphatic hemangiomas
- Neurofibromas (for example, neurofibromatosis)
- Treatment of malignant solid tumors
- Surgery for preterm and newborn babies
- Treatment of necrotizing enterocolitis and focal isolated perforation of the intestine during the first few weeks of life in extremely premature infants
- Treatment of malformations in the intestine and anal region (for example, duodenal atresia, small bowel atresia, colon and rectal atresia)
- Esophageal atresia treatment
- Diaphragmatic hernia treatment
- Treatment of lung malformations, tracheostomy, tracheal surgery
- Teratoma treatment
- Treatment of gastroschisis and omphalocele
- Lymphangioma treatment
- Treatment of diseases of the kidneys, upper and lower urinary tract, as well as complex malformations with impaired urination
- Pediatric plastic surgery
- Correction of congenital malformations (for example, syndactyly, polydactyly)
- Otoplasty (correction of everted ears)
- Reconstructive surgery after serious injuries or burns
- Remodeling osteotomy in pseudoarthrosis
- Treatment of skin tumors, soft tissues (for example, hemangiomas)
- Skin grafting
- Lymphangiomas treatment (laser techniques or removal)
- Treatment of burns in children (up to 30 - 40% of the body surface)
- Neck and thoracic surgery
- Treatment of lateral and medial neck cysts
- Treatment of torticollis, nerve plexus paralysis (damage of the nerve bundles with sensory and motor disorders)
- Cervical rib removal
- Treatment of cervical lymphadenopathy
- Thyroid tumor treatment
- Esophageal fistula treatment
- Tracheomalacia treatment
- Tracheostomy (artificial trachea opening in the neck)
- Tracheal stenosis treatment
- Treatment of tracheal tumors and burns (for example, acid burns)
- Correction of chest developmental defects (for example, funnel-shaped, keeled chest)
- Treatment of lung tumors, pneumothorax, diaphragmatic paralysis and hernias
- Other medical services
Training and Professional Experience
- 1993 Admission to medical practice.
- 1994 ECFMG Сertificate (USMLE), USA.
- 1995 Medical Specialist in General Surgery, Brazil.
- 1995 Advanced Trauma Life Support Certification, USA.
- 2001 Doctoral thesis defence on the Physiology of Newborns, USA.
- 2007 Medical Specialist in Pediatric Surgery, Germany.
- 2008 Certificate of the General Medical Council (Pediatric Surgeon), UK.
- 2009 Senior Pediatric Surgeon, Germany.
- 2012 Doctoral thesis defense in Pediatric Surgery, Germany.
- 2013 Certificate of the European Pediatric Life Support (EPLS) Provider courses, UK.
- 2016 Responsible for the sanitary condition of the clinics, federal state of Baden-Württemberg.
Membership and Functions in Professional Communities
- 2016 German Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (DGPW).
- 2011 European Paediatric Surgeons' Association (EUPSA).
- 2004 German Society of Pediatric Surgery, Germany.
- 1999 American Psychological Association, USA.
- 1996 Brazilian Society of Pediatric Surgery (Sociedade Brasileira de Cirurgia Pediatrica).
- 1993 Brazilian Medical Association (AMB).
- 1991 Medical Association of Rio Grande do Sul (AMRIGS), Brazil.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Ulm
Department of Pediatric Surgery.
University Hospital Ulm:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.