University Hospital Ulm
Department of Nephrology (522209)
Specialized in: nephrology
About the Department of Nephrology at University Hospital Ulm
The Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Ulm offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in this field. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Bernd Schröppel.
It provides an effective treatment of acute and chronic kidney diseases, rheumatic diseases with kidney lesion, arterial hypertension, renal replacement therapy and kidney transplantation. The department employs highly qualified specialists, who have in their arsenal all modern diagnostic and therapeutic procedures enabling them to cope with even the most complex clinical cases.
The service range of the department includes:
- Inpatient hemo-and peritoneal dialysis using modern dialysis technologies and various anticoagulation methods
- Partially inpatient dialysis in patients with acute kidney failure, dialysis complications, intercurrent diseases or special dialysis indications (for example, extracorporeal anticoagulation)
- Continuous renal replacement therapy
- Continuous venovenous hemodialysis
- Continuous arteriovenous hemodialysis
- Continuous venovenous hemodiafiltration
- Periodic (automated) peritoneal dialysis for the patients with concurrent heart and kidney failure
- Low-density lipoproteins apheresis in lipid metabolism disorders (for example, hypercholesterolemia, high lipoprotein (a))
- Plasmapheresis and immunoadsorption in various autoimmune diseases
- Interdisciplinary advice on hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis access (in collaboration with the Departments of Vascular Surgery and General Surgery)
- Preparation for kidney transplantation and follow-up care
- Kidney transplantation (in collaboration with the Transplant Center) from a live donor
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases on an outpatient basis
- Polycystic kidney diseases
- Systemic lupus erythematosus with kidney lesion
- Arterial hypertension
- Laboratory tests (within the inhouse laboratory)
- Urine sediment microscopy
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Bernd Schröppel
- 1988 - 1994 Study of Medicine, Albert Einstein University, Ulm.
- 23/05/1996 Doctoral thesis defense with honors. Subject: "Effect of deferoxamine on oxygen radicals and eicosanoids at the early stage of sepsis" (Prof. Dr. Bruckner), Albert Einstein University, Ulm.
- 06/1996 - 06/1997 Medical Polyclinic (Head: Prof. Dr. med. D. Schlöndorff) Munich.
- 07/1997 - 06/1998 Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, USA, Internal Medicine.
- 07/1998 - 03/2000 Medical Polyclinic (Head: Prof. Dr. med. D. Schlöndorff) Munich.
- 04/2000 - 06/2002 Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, USA, Internal Medicine.
Advanced Training in Nephrology
- 10/1996 - 03/1997 Clinical Nephrology, Ambulance, Medical Polyclinic (Prof. Dr. med. D. Schlöndorff).
- 07/2002 - 06/2004 Scholarship (Nephrology), School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York.
Medical Specialist Title
- 08/2002 Internal Medicine, American Commission on Internal Medicine.
- 03/2003 Internal Medicine, intern examination, Germany.
- 02/2004 Nephrology, nephrology examination, Germany.
- 11/2004 Nephrology, American Commission on Nephrology.
- 06/2014 "Activation of Toll-like receptors triggers adaptive immune response after transplantation".
- 02/2017 Extraordinary Professor.
Medical Activities in the USA
- 07/2004 - 12/2005 Medicine Lecturer, School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York.
- 01/2006 - 05/2013 Associate Professor of Medicine, School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York.
- 01/2009 - 05/2012 Medical Director of a Kidney/Pancreas Transplant Program, School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York.
- 05/2012 - 05/2013 Scientific Director of a Kidney/Pancreas Transplant Program, School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York.
- Since May 2013, Associate Professor of Medicine, School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York.
Medical Activities in Germany
- Since June 2013, Senior Physician in the Department of Nephrology, University Hospital Ulm.
- Since October 2014, Head of the Department of Nephrology, University Hospital Ulm.
- 1997 Fresenius Award for Doctoral Thesis Defense, University of Ulm, Germany.
- 1998 John Brod Award of the University of Hannover, Germany.
- 2005 Vanguard Prize of the American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS).
- 2005 Norman Coplon Grant, Satellite Research Award.
- 2007 Medical Encouraging Scientific Louis Wasserman Award.
- 2009 Dr. Harold and Golden Lamport Research Award.
- 2010 American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) Award.
- 2011 Carla Gottschalk Research Grant, American Society of Nephrology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Ulm
Department of Nephrology.
University Hospital Ulm:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.