University Hospital Ulm
Department of Pediatric Cardiology (535080)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Ulm offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of congenital heart defects in infants, young children and adolescents. The department has a long history and tremendous experience, therefore it guarantees optimal medical care even in the most complex clinical cases. To ensure comprehensive and interdisciplinary treatment, there is maintained close cooperation with other departments of the hospital, as well as with specialized regional medical institutions. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Christian Apitz.
The diagnostic options of the department include:
- Diagnostic and interventional cardiac catheterization
- Transesophageal echocardiography with sedation
- Pacemaker function control and electrophysiological examination, including ablative therapy (in collaboration with the Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care)
- MRI diagnostics of the cardiovascular system (in collaboration with the Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care, Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Radiology)
- Cardiac ultrasound diagnostics using high-quality echocardiographic devices
- Stress echocardiography for early detection of functional disorders of the heart ventricles
- Spiroergometry, including a respiratory gas analysis
- Ergometry (on an exercise bike or treadmill)
- Pulmonary function testing before and after exercise (in collaboration with the Department of Pulmonology)
- 12-channel electrocardiography, 24-hour ECG monitoring, usage of the event recorder for recording heart rhythm disorders
- 24-hours blood pressure measurement
- Catheter cardiac examinations
- Diagnostic cardiac catheterization before and after heart surgery
- Diagnostic cardiac catheterization in pulmonary hypertension
- Catheter interventional procedures (including the closure of atrial septal defects, closure of patent ductus arteriosus, stent implantation, dilatation in stenosis)
- Emergency interventions in infants (balloon atrioseptostomy)
- Other examinations
The service range of the department includes:
- Non-invasive and invasive diagnostics, therapy in infants, young children and adolescents with heart diseases
- Interdisciplinary care for adults with congenital heart defects (in collaboration with the Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care)
- Prenatal diagnostics and counseling (in collaboration with the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- Diagnostics and therapy of cardiac arrhythmias
- Drug therapy in heart failure
- Diagnostics and treatment of cardiomyopathies
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory heart diseases (Kawasaki disease, endocarditis, myocarditis)
- Differential diagnostics and drug therapy forms in arterial hypotension
- Special diagnostics and treatment of children and adolescents with pulmonary hypertension
- Special diagnostics and treatment of children and adolescents with connective tissue diseases and heart failure (for example, Marfan syndrome)
- Development of an individual diagnostic program and personal training
- Medical care for emergency clinical conditions (24-hours)
- Consultations on all issues in pediatric cardiology
- Other medical services
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Ulm
Department of Pediatric Cardiology.
University Hospital Ulm:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.