University Hospital Ulm
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology (535092)
Specialized in: pediatric gastroenterology
About the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology at University Hospital Ulm
The Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology at the University Hospital Ulm offers the full range of services in this field and specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract in children of all age groups. The focus is on the treatment of intestinal, liver and pancreatic pathologies. In addition, the scope of tasks of the department's doctors includes the treatment of rare gastroenterological diseases. Annually, more than 1,000 young patients receive medical care here. The Chief Physician of the department is PD Dr. med. Carsten Posovszky.
The diagnostic spectrum of the department includes:
- High-resolution abdominal ultrasound
- Hydrogen breath test for fructose, lactose, glucose
- 13C breath test for helicobacter pylori
- Esophageal impedance pH monitoring
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy
- Percutaneous endoscopic jejunostomy
- Liver biopsy
- Small bowel biopsy
- Capsule endoscopy
- Serological tests for celiac disease
- Disaccharidase determination in the small bowel biopsy sample
- Stool testing (for example, Helicobacter pylori, calprotectin tests, etc.)
- Other diagnostic methods
The therapeutic service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital malformations of the gastrointestinal tract, congenital and acquired gastrointestinal tract diseases
- Severe functional bowel diseases
- Gastrointestinal infections
- Food allergies (for example, cow's milk allergy)
- Malabsorption and maldigestion syndromes
- Lactose intolerance, fructose malabsorption
- Chronic bowel obstruction
- Short bowel syndrome
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Intestinal motility disorders (for example, Hirschsprung's disease, chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction, chronic constipation)
- Inflammatory bowel diseases (for example, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, lymphocytic colitis, etc.)
- Celiac disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of pancreatic diseases
- Hereditary pancreatitis
- Autoimmune pancreatitis
- Pancreatic insufficiency (cystic fibrosis, Shwachman syndrome, Pearson syndrome)
- Diagnostics and treatment of liver and bile duct diseases
- Viral hepatitis
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Metabolic disorders with liver lesion (for example, Wilson's disease)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other gastrointestinal diseases
Curriculum vitae of PD Dr. med. Carsten Posovszky
- 1993 - 2000 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Heidelberg.
- 2001 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 2005 Medical Specialist in Pediatrics.
- 2006 Clinical Senior Physician, University Hospital Ulm.
- 2007 Additional qualification in Pediatric Gastroenterology.
- 2016 Habilitation.
- Since 2017, Head of the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology at the University Hospital Ulm.
- Medical Specialist in Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
- Qualification in Pediatric Gastroenterology and Venia Legendi for advanced training courses in Pediatric Gastroenterology (Medical Chamber of the Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition).
Committee Work (selected)
- Since 2017, Executive Committee (2nd Chairman) of the Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (GPGE e.V.).
- Since 2017, Representative of the Center for Liver, Intestinal and Pancreatic Rare Diseases (ZSLDPE) Ulm.
- 2015 Scientific Prize of the Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (GPGE e.V.).
- 2015 Ludwig Demling Research Prize of the German Association for Crohn's Disease and Colitis (DCCV e.V.).
- 2002 Thesis Award of the Feldbausch Foundation at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Heidelberg.
- 2001 Doctoral thesis defense with honors.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Ulm
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology.
University Hospital Ulm:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.