University Hospital Würzburg
Department of Otolaryngology, Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery (223363)
Specialized in: otolaryngology, plastic surgery, aesthetic surgery
The Department of Otolaryngology, Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery at the University Hospital of Würzburg is one of the most renowned and large clinics of otolaryngology in Germany. The international reputation of the Department is due to “the father of ear microsurgery”, Prof. Dr. Horst Wullstein, who was one of the first to embody a treatment concept of head diseases in the Department. The director of the Department is Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Rudolf Hagen.
Through a long and intensive cooperation of related disciplines (the Department of Ophthalmology, Nuerosurgery, Neurology, Neuroradiology, Radiation Therapy) for decades, the University Hospital of Würzburg established optimal patient care conditions.
In addition to microsurgery, the primary focus of the Department, for which patients both Germany and from other countries come to Würzburg even today, the Department of Otolaryngology under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Rudolf Hagen has also recently brought other fields of otolaryngology to the most advanced level. Here should be mentioned the Cochlear Implant Center, the Section of Phoniatrics and Pedaudiology, the Section for Allergies and the Sleep Laboratory.
The multidisciplinary patient care at the University Hospital of Würzburg includes all focuses of skull base surgery (e.g., surgical treatment of acoustic neuroma), traumas (e.g., care of patients with severe midface injuries) and plastic reconstructive surgery (e.g., microvascular reconstruction of the larynx, trachea and esophagus).
The main treatment focuses of the Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital of Würzburgare:
- Pedaudiology / electrophysiology
- Early detection of impaired hearing
- Cochlear implants and auditory prosthesis
- Benign paroxysmal vertigo depending on the body position (BPLS)
- Consultations on allergies (seasonal allergic rhinoconjuctivitis, asthma, pseudoallergies, nasal polyps, chronic and acute sinusitis)
- Sleep laboratory
- Clinical laryngology
- Middle ear surgery
- Hearing implants
- Surgical treatment for acoustic neuroma
- Surgery of the nose and paranasal sinuses
- Surgery of the larynx, pharynx and external neck
- Surgery of the salivary glands
- Surgery of head and neck tumors
- Plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery
- Würzburg, Germany