University Hospital Würzburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery (223363)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology, plastic and aesthetic surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery at the University Hospital Würzburg offers the diagnostics and treatment of all otolaryngological diseases. The department ranks among the leading European centers in the field of middle ear reconstructive surgery, interdisciplinary skull base surgery, cochlear implantation. In addition, the department specializes in the treatment of ENT cancers, treatment of all diseases of the voice (phoniatrics and pedaudiology), plastic and aesthetic operations. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr.h.c. Rudolf Hagen.
An important department’s focus is the treatment of all malignant head and neck diseases. The department specializes in the surgical treatment of ENT cancer using such new methods as laser therapy or sparing endoscopic interventions. For the treatment of defects in the surrounding tissues that may occur after the removal of tumors, the doctors perform transplantation of the patient’s own tissues. Thanks to the exceptional experience, the department’s specialists successfully restore skin and tissue defects, as well as correct the swallowing function and voice.
The department also enjoys an impeccable reputation in the field of nose and paranasal sinus surgery. As a rule, the surgical treatment of the nose is minimally invasive and is performed in the treatment of acute and chronic inflammatory diseases, injuries, malformations and tumors. For special cases, the department has a navigation system that allows to obtain a three-dimensional reconstruction of the surgical field using computed tomography data, and is also used during the operation to control the placement of surgical instruments. The service range offered also includes plastic nose reshaping.
In addition, the department focuses on hearing impairment. The department offers a comprehensive, interdisciplinary and individual diagnostics and all treatments for patients with hearing loss. It also offers hearing screening in newborns. The department has developed and continues to actively improve the installation of cochlear implants, which are successfully used in the treatment of children with congenital deafness and adults with acquired deafness. It is also worth noting that the department is the second largest Cochlear Implant Center in Europe!
The diagnostic and therapeutic spectrum of the department includes the following options:
- Diagnostics and treatment of voice, speech, hearing, swallowing disorders
- Interdisciplinary Hearing Center
- Hearing impairment in adults
- Hearing impairment in childhood
- Early diagnostics (hearing diagnostics in infants and young children)
- Audiology and electrophysiology
- Hearing aids
- Implantable hearing systems
- Cochlear implants
- Acoustic neuroma
- Middle ear surgery
- Balance, smell, taste disorders (neurotology)
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergies
- Nose and paranasal surgery
- Inflammatory diseases (chronic and acute)
- Malignant tumors
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Head and neck tumors
- Laryngeal cancer
- Pharyngeal cancer
- Salivary gland surgery
- Plastic and aesthetic surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of other ENT diseases and malformations
Education and Professional Experience
- Study of Medicine at the Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
- 1984 Experimental PhD thesis in Neuropharmacology.
- Assistant Physician in the Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital, later – Senior Physician.
- Additional qualifications in Plastic Surgery, Allergology, Voice and Speech Disorders, as well as Special Otolaryngologic Surgery.
- 1991 Doctoral dissertation defense and Venia Legendi.
- 1995 Appointment to the post of the Head of the Department, and later appointed as an Extraordinary Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Würzburg.
- 1998 Head of the Department of Otolaryngology at the St. Catharine Hospital Stuttgart (Katharinenhospital).
- Invitation to the post of the Professor of the Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Würzburg.
- 1995 Anton von Tröltsch Prize for the invention of a microsurgical operating technique for the reconstruction of the larynx with the patient’s own tissue (the highest Scientific Award of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery).
- Since 01.10.2015, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery at the University Hospital Würzburg.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery.
University Hospital Würzburg:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home