University Hospital Würzburg
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (223365)
Christian P. Speer
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the department
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Würzburg offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of various diseases in children of all age groups, from premature babies of high risk groups to adolescents. The department is one of the oldest pediatric medical institutions in Germany. For 170 years of the successful clinical practice, the department has gained an excellent reputation in the treatment of children and adolescents with serious and rare diseases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christian P. Speer.
The department's specialists annually provide their services to 6,500 young patients, while about 30,000 children receive treatment here annually within the specialized outpatient clinics. The high-tech medical equipment, innovative treatment methods, as well as the outstanding experience and knowledge of the department's doctors are the key to the optimal medical care adapted to the particular diagnosis and needs of children.
The department has the Level I Perinatal Center, which provides the competent care for premature babies from the high-risk group (whose weight is less than 500 grams at birth). Also, special attention should be given to the Stem Cell Transplant Center, which meets the European and American quality standards, due to which it has the prestigious JACIE certification. The Cancer Center of the department, which specializes in the treatment of various types of cancer in children is among top ten largest medical institutions of this kind in Germany. In addition, the department is part of the network of the Reference Centers for Rare Lung Diseases.
The service range of the department includes:
- Medical care for newborns and premature babies
- Intensive therapy (for example, in life-threatening diseases of the central nervous system, severe infectious diseases, injuries, poisonings)
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood disorders and oncopathology (for example, leukemia, lymphomas, brain tumors, etc.)
- Stem cell transplantation in children and adolescents from 0 to 21 years old (in cancer, blood disorders, immunodeficiencies, and some rare metabolic diseases)
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung diseases, allergies
- Cystic fibrosis
- Bronchial asthma
- Malformations of the respiratory tract
- Ciliary dyskinesia
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Insect venom allergy
- Allergic rhinitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of heart diseases, congenital heart defects
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases
- Acute and chronic infectious diseases (for example, pneumonia, bronchitis, meningitis, osteomyelitis, urinary tract infections, the infections of the gastrointestinal tract and skin, abscesses)
- Hepatitis, herpes, cytomegalovirus, HIV, tuberculosis, fungal and parasitic infection
- Bacterial infections
- Diagnostics and treatment of immunodeficiencies, diseases of the immune system
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Chronic inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Liver diseases (chronic hepatitis, autoimmune liver diseases, alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency, Wilson's disease, bile duct pathologies)
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (heartburn)
- Achalasia cardia
- Celiac disease
- Eating disorders and developmental delay in children with chronic diseases
- Short bowel syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney, urinary tract
- Urinary tract infections
- Congenital malformations of the kidneys and urinary tract
- Vesicoureteral reflux
- Bladder dysfunction (for example, incontinence)
- Kidney failure, for example, cystic kidney or glomerulonephritis
- Kidney lesion in other diseases
- Arterial hypertension
- Chronic kidney failure
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetes mellitus, metabolic disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of hormonal disorders in children (for example, growth disorders, thyroid dysfunction, disorders of sexual development)
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatological and bone diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurological diseases, intellectual development disorders
- Multiple sclerosis and other inflammatory diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system
- General neurological disorders
- Movement disorders and neuromuscular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases in newborns, young children, and adolescents
Prof. Dr. med. Christian P. Speer is a Member of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. He studied Human Medicine at the University of Göttingen. After his doctoral thesis defense, he began his professional medical training at the University Hospital Göttingen, during which he spent nearly two years at the National Jewish Hospital in Denver, USA. In 1986, he was appointed as a Senior Physician and in the same year he was habilitated. Soon he was appointed as the Professor of Pediatrics. In 1994, the doctor became the Head of the Department of Neonatology at the University Hospital Tuebingen, and in 1996 he was elected as a Member of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. In 1999, he held a position in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Würzburg.
After the fundamental research on the treatment of infant respiratory distress syndrome with surfactant drugs, his current research activities focus on the role of pre- and postnatal inflammatory mechanisms in the pathogenesis of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. He has published over 300 scientific papers in the international and national journals and is the author of several chapters of books on acute and chronic lung diseases in premature babies and newborns. He is also a Co-Editor of the textbook Speer C.P., Gahr M: Pediatrics, Springer Publishing, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 4th edition, 2013. He is the Editor in Chief of the Neonatology Journal (formerly: Biology of the Neonate), Co-Publisher of the Zeitschrift für Geburtshilfe und Neonatologie, and has also worked in numerous editorial boards of the international scientific journals and scientific societies, for example, in research committees.
He has many international awards, for example, in 2004, the doctor received the title of Geoffrey Thorburn Visiting Professor of the Perinatal Society of Australia and New Zealand. In 2005, he held the James Hutchison Memorial Lecture in Hong Kong. In 2006, he received the Chiesi Award for outstanding achievements in Neonatology of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine. Since 2010 to 2012, he was the President of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine. In 2013, the American Pediatric Society recognized him as an Honorary Member for the internationally recognized contribution to Pediatrics. In addition, he was recognized as an Honorary Member of the Russian Association of Perinatal Medicine. In 2014, he became the first German Neonatologist, who received the Maternité Prize of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine.
The Professor is a popular speaker at numerous congresses and symposia in Europe, North and South America, Asia and the Middle East. In addition, he regularly organizes the International Symposium on the Latest Advances in Neonatal Medicine, which has become the largest forum on the clinical science taking place not in America.
In the spring of 2016, together with Prof. Bo Sun from Shanghai, he organized the first international congress, the Neonate – an International Symposium for Asia, Shanghai.
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
University Hospital Würzburg:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home