University Hospital Würzburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (223371)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at University Hospital Würzburg
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Würzburg offers the diagnostics and treatment of the entire spectrum of neurosurgical diseases. The department specializes in the treatment of brain tumors, vascular diseases and intracerebral hemorrhages, spinal diseases, deep brain stimulation, etc. Special competence lies in the field of pediatric neurosurgery. The department offers the very latest highly accurate and minimally invasive treatment methods. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Ralf-Ingo Ernestus.
One of the main activities of the department is the surgical treatment of brain tumors. With the help of the very latest methods, it treats the whole spectrum of brain tumors, as well as tumors of the meninges, pituitary, brain metastases, CNS lymphomas or tumors of the cranial nerves (for example, an acoustic neuroma). In the treatment of brain neoplasms, there is maintained active cooperation with the Departments of Neuroradiology, Radiation Therapy, Neurology, Oncology, Nuclear Medicine, etc.
The department performs microsurgical interventions to treat the vessels of the brain and spinal cord. When performing these interventions, the doctors use various imaging methods that promote the best possible accuracy and safety for patients. For example, intraoperative vascular imaging is performed using fluorescein angiography. 3D-angiography methods, such as the innovative O-arm angiography system, provide accurate three-dimensional images with minimal radiation exposure.
The department ranks among the leading Pediatric Neurosurgery Centers in Germany. The offered service spectrum includes the treatment of all neurosurgical diseases, tumors, malformations, injuries in children and adolescents of all age groups. The department specializes in the treatment of CNS tumors, skull pathologies (various types of craniostenosis), as well as spine and spinal cord malformations (spina bifida). Other focuses are on the correction of impaired circulation of the cerebrospinal fluid (hydrocephalus), treatment of traumatic brain injuries and vagus nerve stimulation (VNS therapy) in epilepsy. In addition, the department has an exceptional experience in the treatment of very rare diseases.
The diagnostic and therapeutic spectrum of the department includes the following options:
- Brain tumors
- Gliomas (primary brain tumors)
- Acoustic neuroma or vestibular schwannoma
- Pituitary tumors
- Brain metastases
- Spinal tumors
- Primary spinal tumors
- Spinal meninges tumors
- Nerve sheath tumors
- Tumors of the spinal bone structures
- Vascular diseases and intracerebral hemorrhages
- Vascular malformations (angiomas and atrioventricular fistulas)
- Intracerebral hemorrhages
- Spinal diseases
- Degenerative diseases of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine (herniated intervertebral discs, spinal stenosis, vertebral displacement, vertebral body fracture, etc.)
- Vascular diseases (arteriovenous malformations / angiomas, atrioventricular fistulas, etc.)
- Spinal tumors (spinal cord tumors, meningiomas, neuromas, metastases)
- Infectious diseases (spondylodiscitis, osteomyelitis, intraspinal abscesses)
- Spinal injuries
- Chronic spinal pain
- Enlargement of the brain ventricles (hydrocephalus)
- Peripheral nerves
- Nerve ending injuries
- Impingement syndromes
- Deep brain stimulation in movement disorders
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- CNS tumors
- Skull pathologies (various types of craniostenosis)
- Spine and spinal cord malformations (spina bifida)
- Impaired cerebrospinal fluid circulation (hydrocephalus)
- Treatment of traumatic brain injuries
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS therapy) in epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurosurgical diseases, malformations and injuries in adults and children
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Würzburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
University Hospital Würzburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.