University Hospital Würzburg
Department of Neurology (223373)
Specialized in: neurology
About the Department of Neurology at University Hospital Würzburg
The Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Würzburg deals with the diagnostics and treatment of the entire spectrum of neurological diseases. The department specializes in the treatment of Parkinson's disease and other motor disorders. The department also offers the very latest diagnostic and treatment methods for multiple sclerosis, vascular diseases of the central nervous system, neuromuscular diseases, various forms of epilepsy, etc. In addition, the department provides emergency care for stroke patients in the specialized Stroke Unit. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Jens Volkmann.
One of the main department’s focuses is the diagnostics and treatment of motor disorders. These include a number of neurological diseases, including Parkinson's disease and related clinical manifestations, such as dystonias, tremor, tics, and restless legs syndrome. The main diagnostic capabilities are electrophysiological examinations (neurography, electromyography, evoked potentials, etc.), cerebrospinal fluid examinations to exclude infectious pathology, CT and MRI scans to image changes in the brain and spinal cord, scintigraphic examinations, etc. Based on the results of the diagnostics, the patients are offered comprehensive, tailored treatment programs.
The department has long experience in the diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system. It is an interregional reference center for the treatment of multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases of the central nervous system. In addition, the offered service range also complements the special diagnostics and treatment of rare diseases of the central nervous system caused by infectious pathogens.
The service range of the department includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Motor disorders
- Parkinson's disease
- Rare motor disorders
- Botulinum toxin treatment
- Deep brain stimulation
- Stroke and vascular diseases
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Myopathies (muscular diseases)
- Neuromuscular junction diseases (myasthenic syndromes)
- Motor neuron disorders
- Self-help in neuromuscular diseases
- Inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system
- Autoimmune diseases (multiple sclerosis, neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders (NMOSD), neurosarcoidosis)
- Patient training and self-help in multiple sclerosis
- CNS diseases caused by infectious pathogens
- Pain syndromes
- Neurological intensive care
- Special diagnostics
- Clinical neurophysiology
- Ultrasound examinations (extracranial dopplerography, color extracranial duplex scanning, transcranial dopplerography, etc.)
- Laboratory diagnostics
- Histological diagnostics
- Quantitative sensory testing (QST) and quantitative sudomotor axon reflex testing (QSART)
- And also diagnostics of other neurological diseases
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Würzburg
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Würzburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.