University Hospital Würzburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthodontics (223381)
Specialized in: orthodontics
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthodontics at the University Hospital Würzburg offers the full range of treatment of various forms of orthodontic malformations. The focus is on the prevention and correction of malocclusion and incorrect position of the jaw, as well as the treatment of facial skeleton pathologies. For these purposes, the department's specialists have in their arsenal a variety of modern and effective therapeutic methods. The department treats about 1,500 patients of all age groups every year. In addition, the department's doctors provide their consulting services to more than 6,000 patients annually. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Angelika Stellzig-Eisenhauer.
In addition to the removable devices (plates, functional orthopedic constructions) and non-removable systems (standard, ceramic bracket systems and self-ligating brackets, for example, Speed, Smartclip and Damon), the department also uses other orthodontic appliances, for example, the Herbst apparatus, mini cortical screws.
The department's doctors have unique qualifications in the treatment of cleft lip and palate, craniofacial anomalies, combined orthodontic and maxillofacial injuries of the mandibular joint in adults and jaw fractures.
The department's clinical practice is based on an interdisciplinary approach to treatment, therefore, the therapy process often involves the specialists from related fields, for example, maxillofacial surgeons, pediatricians, specialists in phoniatrics and pedaudiology, human genetics (for example, in the case of cleft lip and palate).
The service range of the department includes:
- Prevention and treatment of abnormal occlusion, improper position of the upper jaw and facial skeleton malformations in children and adolescents
- Orthodontic treatment of adults using invisible devices (for example, splints, lingual techniques)
- Orthodontic treatment of patients with complete cleft lip, jaw and palate, craniofacial malformations
- Treatment of adult patients with severe jaw fractures (in collaboration with the Department of Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery and Facial Plastic Surgery)
- Treatment of adult patients with periodontal disease (in collaboration with the Department of Periodontology)
- Other medical services
- 1980 - 1983 Study of Germanistics and Sports Science.
- 1983 - 1989 Study of Dentistry, Heidelberg University.
- 1990 - 1993 Advanced Training in Orthodontics, Department of Orthodontics, Heidelberg University.
- 1991 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 1998 Habilitation.
- Since 2002, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthodontics at the University Hospital Würzburg.
- Since 2013, Managing Director of the Center for Dental, Oral and Jaw Health at the University Hospital Würzburg.
- Since 2002, Examination Commission on Orthodontics of the Bavarian Dental Association.
- 2010 Conference President of the 83rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the German Society of Orthodontics.
- 1998 - 2015 Board Member of the Working Group on Cleft Lip and Palate, Craniofacial Defects.
- 2009 - 2015 Board Member of the German Society for Aesthetic Dentistry.
- Since 2010, Board Member of the German-Vietnamese Association for the Advancement of Medicine in Vietnam.
- 2002 - 2014 Representative of the Bavarian University Professors at the Bavaria Dental Association.
- 1999 and 2011 ARNOLD-Biber Prize of the German Association of Orthodontics.
- 2011 Annual Prize of the German Association of Orthodontics.
- 2011 FEO-Award: Year Award of the European Professional Orthodontic Societies for the Best Publication.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Würzburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthodontics.
University Hospital Würzburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.