University Hospital Würzburg
Department of Foot and Ankle surgery (304076)
Specialized in: foot surgery, ankle surgery
The Department of Foot and Ankle surgery at the Orthopedic Clinic of King Ludwig house in Würzburg (cooperation partner of the University Hospital of Würzburg) under the lead of Dr. med Matthias Walcher treats the entire range of foot and ankle diseases. The experienced team of internationally trained specialists has at its disposal the latest operation techniques and implant systems. All problems with feet are provided with a competent operative and non-operative treatment – from foot deformities in children up to deteriorative illnesses in patients of older age and sports injuries.
In the Orthopedic Clinic of King Ludwig house in Würzburg, an individual therapy plan is created together with the patient through the involvement of experienced physiotherapists and orthopedic technicians. Operative corrections comprise arthroscopy of the upper and lower ankle including modern cartilage regeneration techniques. Axial deviations in the hindfoot and metatarsus are treated, depending on the severity of the condition, with corrective operations or selective joint fusions.
The accompanying ligaments and tendons operations allow to permanently stabilize the achieved correction result. A more severe joint wear of the upper ankle and metatarsophalangeal joint is treated with a joint prosthesis or arthrodesis of the joint. It goes without saying that the medical team around Dr. med Matthias Walcher treats also abnormalities of toes, such as common cases of hallux valgus. The central focus is on the patient with all his/her individual needs, whose mobility all specialists are determined to preserve.
The therapeutic range of services of the Department of Foot and Ankle Surgery at the Orthopedic Clinic of King Ludwig house in Würzburg comprises, inter alia, the following treatment modalities:
- Toe corrections (hallux valgus, claw toes)
- Movement restriction of the metatarsophalangeal joint (hallux rigidus)
- Flatfoot in adults
- Metatarsalgia (pain in the ball of the foot)
- Impingement of the ankle
- Endoprosthetics of the ankle joint
- Stiffening operations of the tarsal bone (arthrodesis)
- Subtalar arthrodesis
- Tendon reconstruction
- Correction of paralysis-related foot deformities
- Removal of bony prominences (exostoses, bone spurs)
- Operations in cases of foot joint wear
- Arthroscopic interventions involving ankle joint
- Operations in cases of arthritis related foot deformities
- Treatment of the diabetic foot
- Foot deformities in children and adolescents
- Würzburg, Germany