Vivantes Neukölln Hospital Berlin
Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Nephrology and Conservative Intensive Care (357446)
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology, nephrology, conservative intensive care
About the department
The Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Nephrology and Conservative Intensive Care at the Vivantes Neukölln Hospital offers the full range of services in the relevant medical fields. It provides high-precision diagnostics and complex treatment of all diseases of the heart, vessels and kidneys. The medical team consists of highly qualified specialists with many years of experience. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Harald Darius.
The department has the Cardiac Catheterization Lab, where patients even with the most severe conditions can quickly undergo high-quality examinations. Also, the department offers the certified Chest Pain Unit for patients with unclear chest pain. With the state-of-the-art equipment, it carries out high-quality diagnostics of patients with acute heart disease and their appropriate treatment.
The department offers the following medical services:
- Diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease with the most advanced methods (3 cath labs), including vascular ultrasound and vessel wall imaging (OCT)
- Non-invasive diagnosis of cardiac circulatory disorders by stress echocardiography, stress-MRI and coronary CT (in cooperation with the Department of Radiology)
- Treatment of aortic valve stenosis by implanting the valve through the femoral artery
- Treatment of mitral valve insufficiency with the Clip technology
- Implantation of the atrial septum occluder in heart septum defects, implantation of the auricle occluder in atrial fibrillation
- Transcoronary ablation of septal hypertrophy (TASH) in obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Myocardial biopsy for the diagnostics of suspected myocarditis and unclear heart failure
- Implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators (single-, double- and triple-chamber systems)
- Consultations for patients with pacemakers, which serve to train the control of all common pacemakers and defibrillators
- Electrophysiological examination for the diagnosis of heart arrhythmia, including catheter ablation for arrhythmias accompanied by tachycardia, consultations on heart rhythm disorders
- Laboratory for the diagnosis of cardiovascular diseases (all methods of echocardiography, including three-dimensional imaging, stress echocardiography and contrast-enhanced echocardiography)
- Invasive and non-invasive angiology: imaging of the vessels, vascular interventions, color Doppler sonography of all vessels, capillary microscopy, transcutaneous oxygen measurement
- Nephrology: dialysis, counseling, collaboration with the St. Joseph's Hospital (as the Center for Cardiorenal Therapy)
- Spiroergometry (on a bicycle or a treadmill)
- Intensive therapy: treatment of the most severe diseases, including long-term artificial ventilation and use of the heart-lung machine
- 1976 - 1982 Study of medicine at the University of Cologne.
- 1980 - 1982 Doctoral thesis, Institute of Pharmacology at the University of Cologne.
- 1982 - 1983 Research assistant of the Pharmacological Institute of the University of Cologne.
- 1984 - 1986 Research scholarship of the German Research Foundation (DFG), Department of Physiology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia.
- 1986 - 1992 Research Assistant, Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital Mainz.
- Since 1992, Senior Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital Mainz.
- Since 2012 Chief Physician of the Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Nephrology and Conservative Intensive Care at the Vivantes Neukölln Hospital, Berlin.
Academic Degrees and Awards
- 1983 Doctor of Medicine.
- 1984 Research grant of the German Research Foundation.
- 1985 John Vane Award for Prostaglandin Research.
- 1991-1993 Medical Specialist in the field of Internal Medicine, Clinical Pharmacology, Cardiology, Intensive Medicine.
- 1993 Venia legendi, Internal Medicine, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 1993 Boehringer Ingelheim Research Prize.
- 1997 Fellow of the American Heart Association.
- 1998 Fellow of the American College of Cardiology.
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology.
- 1999 Visiting Professor.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Cardiology and Blood Circulation Research.
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- American Heart Association.
- American College of Cardiology.
- Association for Thrombosis and Hemostasis.
Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Nephrology and Conservative Intensive Care.
Vivantes Neukölln Hospital Berlin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.