Academic Evangelical Hospital of Queen Elizabeth Herzberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Epileptology (579885)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric epileptology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Epileptology at the Academic Evangelical Hospital of Queen Elizabeth Herzberg offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy in patients of different age groups. The department’s doctors have in their arsenal a wealth of experience and the very latest concepts of therapy, which allow for the achievement of excellent treatment results. The primary goal of treatment is to eliminate the symptoms of epilepsy, in particular convulsive seizures. The department has the cutting-edge technical infrastructure for the accurate diagnostics of pathology, as well as various therapeutic options, including neurological rehabilitation. Medical care is provided both on an inpatient and outpatient basis.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Martin Holtkamp. Thanks to the successful clinical activities in the best hospitals in Germany, in particular at the University Hospital Charité, the doctor gained invaluable experience and gained an excellent reputation in the area of his specialization at the national and international levels.
The department is one of the few medical institutions in Germany that offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for people suffering from epilepsy. The offer is complemented by the diagnostics and counseling at the first manifestations of the disease and differential diagnostics for unclear clinical symptoms (dissociative convulsions, syncope, etc.). The department’s work is based on a comprehensive treatment concept aimed at raising the awareness of patients and their relatives in the fight against epilepsy. In the course of treatment, there is maintained close cooperation with other departments of the hospital, the network of Epilepsy Center Berlin-Brandenburg, private practitioners, professional and social rehabilitation centers, and self-help groups. All this contributes to the achievement of optimal results even in particularly difficult clinical situations.
An important focus of the department’s work is the treatment of epilepsy in children (aged 1–18 years). The doctors set themselves the goal to identify epilepsy as early as possible, track and analyze the first attacks and, based on all the data obtained, select the best treatment strategy that will help improve the health of the child and prevent the development of complications associated with the pathology.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Comprehensive diagnostics of epilepsy, including differential diagnostics, in patients of all age groups
- Individual drug therapy
- Surgical treatment of epilepsy
- Neurostimulation (for example, vagus nerve stimulation, deep brain stimulation)
- Medical assistance to increase patient awareness (for example, self-control of seizures)
- Neuropsychology, counseling and support in social and medical issues (specialized social service)
- Ergotherapy, logotherapy and physiotherapy
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 1996 Internship, Department of Neurology, Friedrichshain Clinic, Berlin.
- 1996 - 1997 Internship, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Charité.
- 1998 Doctoral thesis defense, Institute of the History of Medicine, Free University of Berlin. Subject: "Continuity of the concept of inferiority in adolescent and social psychiatry".
- 1997 - 2006 Assistant Lecturer, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Charité.
- 2005 Habilitation, University Hospital Charité. Subject: "Refractory cases of epileptic status: predictors, clinical forms, therapy, and pathophysiological consequences".
- Since 2005 Head of the Epileptic Outpatient Clinic at the University Hospital Charité, Campus Mitte.
- Since 2005 Head of the Working Group on Clinical and Experimental Epileptology, University Hospital Charité.
- Since 2005 Member of the EFNS Task Force "Management Status epilepticus".
- 2007 - 2011 Head of the Section of Clinical Electroencephalography, University Hospital Charité.
- Since 2007 Senior Physician, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Charité.
- Since 2008 Head of joint Epileptic Outpatient Clinics at the University Hospital Charité (Campus Mitte, Campus Virchow and Campus Benjamin Franklin).
- Since 2012 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Epileptology at the Academic Evangelical Hospital of Queen Elizabeth Herzberg.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Epileptology.
- German Society of Clinical Neurophysiology.
- Friedrich von Bodelschwingh Professorial Award, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Charité, Berlin.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Evangelisches Krankenhaus Königin Elisabeth Herzberge
Department of Adult and Pediatric Epileptology.
Academic Evangelical Hospital of Queen Elizabeth Herzberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.