Academic Hospital Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Department of Endoprosthetics (579876)
Specialized in: endoprosthetics
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Endoprosthetics at the Academic Hospital Garmisch-Partenkirchen ranks among the top German orthopedic clinics!
The department offers the full range of services in this medical field. The department has been operating successfully for 50 years and specializes in knee and hip replacement surgery. With more than 2,700 surgical interventions on the joints annually, the department ranks among the top five German medical facilities specializing in joint replacement surgery. In November 2012, the department was certified as the Center for Endoprosthetics by the German Society of Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery (DGOOC). The high competence of doctors, a wide range of various surgical techniques, including sparing ones, and modern implants contribute to the provision of optimal medical care.
The Chief Physician of the department is Dr. med. Christian Fulghum. The specialist ranks among the top German doctors specializing in hip and knee surgery for the eighth year in a row!
The scope of tasks of the department’s medical team includes not only the surgical treatment of joints, but also a thorough examination of the patient, planning of the operation, and comprehensive follow-up care. Also, the department's surgeons specialize in carrying out revision interventions for replacing artificial joints due to wear and tear, damage, displacement, etc. Postoperative recovery lasts from one week to ten days and is provided within the specialized rehabilitation center.
The great advantage of the department is close cooperation with the leading specialized Centers for Endoprosthetics in Germany, Switzerland and the USA. This contributes to the continuous exchange of experience, which provides patients with access to the very latest surgical techniques and implants. Depending on the specific clinical situation (for example, patient's age, level of physical activity, bone quality), the department uses both cemented and cementless implants. Also, the sliding prostheses are widely used in the department. The doctors choose only high-quality implants from the leading manufacturers. The researches show that in more than 90 percent of cases, modern implants have served well for 15 years. The type of endoprosthesis is selected for each patient individually.
The priority purpose of all the department's specialists is the provision of customized treatment aimed at the best possible restoration of mobility and improvement of the patient's quality of life. Due attention is also paid to comprehensive consultations, during which the doctor tells about the course of the surgical procedure, the stages of postoperative recovery and the predicted result.
The service range of the department includes:
- Hip replacement surgery
- Implantation of cementless implants (such implants are mostly used in patients between the ages of 60 and 70 years)
- Implantation of hybrid hip implants (combination of cemented and cementless prosthesis – an artificial acetabulum is inserted into the pelvis without cemented fixation, while the leg of the endoprosthesis is fixed in the bone with the help of the so-called "bone cement")
- Revision interventions on the hip joint
- Implantation of sliding endoprostheses
- Knee replacement surgery
- Implantation of unicondylar sliding prostheses (used in the case of damage to the inside or outside of the knee joint in the normal state of the opposite side of the joint and the posterior surface of the patella)
- Implantation of bicondylar sliding prostheses (prosthesis used in total knee replacement; during the operation, the minimum amount of bone tissue is removed and the implant is fixed to the natural surface of the knee joint)
- Implantation of partially and fully bonded endoprostheses (used in ligamentous dysfunction; the prosthesis itself provides stability, partially or completely (as required))
- Hip and knee replacement with the use of sparing minimally invasive techniques
- Rehabilitation program in collaboration with the specialized experts (from one week to ten days)
- Other therapeutic options
Education and Professional Career
- 1976 - 1983 Study of Human Medicine, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1984 Doctoral dissertation defense (with honors).
- 1983 - 1984 TIS Data München, Advisor, DTRS + Technicon Data Systems, Santa Clara, California, Advisor.
- 1985 - 1989 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery, Academic Hospital Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Prof. Dr. med. F. Lechner).
- 1989 - 1990 Research Fellow, total joint replacement surgery, Duke University, North Carolina, USA.
- 1990 Research Fellow (exchange program), Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan.
- 1990 - 1996 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery, Academic Hospital Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Prof. Dr. med. F. Lechner, Dr. med. Schlemmer).
- 1993 Board certification in Surgery.
- 1997 - 2005 Senior Physician in the Department of Surgery, Academic Hospital Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Dr. med. H. Schlemmer).
- 1998 - June 2010 Senior Physician at the Dr. Beger Rehabilitation Clinic, Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
- 2005 - June 2010 Senior Physician, Department of Arthroplasty, Academic Hospital Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Dr. med. H. Schlemmer).
- Since 2008 Leading Physician in the Department of Physiotherapy, Academic Hospital Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
- Since July 01, 2010 Chief Physician in the Department of Endoprosthetics at the Academic Hospital Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
- Since August 01, 2013 Deputy Medical Director of the Academic Hospital Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Working Group on Joint Replacement Surgery.
- German Society for Orthopedics and Trauma.
- Piedmont Orthopedic Association.
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- Bavarian Society of Surgery.
- Other professional societies.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Klinikum Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Department of Endoprosthetics.
Academic Hospital Garmisch-Partenkirchen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.