Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf
Department of Internal Medicine and Conservative Intensive Care Medicine (448322)
Specialized in: internal medicine, conservative intensive care
About the department
The Department of Internal Medicine and Conservative Intensive Care Medicine at the Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of all acute and chronic diseases of the internal organs. It treats diseases of the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestines, rectum, pancreas, liver, heart, kidneys and lungs. In clinical practice, modern methods of diagnosis and therapy, innovative medical developments are used. The department has 96 beds, 10 of which are for patients who need intensive medical care. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Reinhard Lüthen.
Special attention should be paid to the technical equipment of the department: an endoscopy unit with video endoscopes of the latest generation, devices for bronchoscopy, various imaging diagnostic systems, etc. All examination results are stored digitally, which greatly facilitates the work of medical staff.
The service range of the department includes:
- All modern diagnostic and therapeutic methods for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, pancreas, gallbladder and liver (gastroenterology). Particular attention is paid to early detection and treatment of inflammatory and malignant diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, biliary tract and pancreas
- Diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular diseases (cardiology)
- Coronary angiography
- Cardiac catheterization
- ECG at rest and with exercise
- 24-hour ECG monitoring
- Long-term blood pressure measurement
- Transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
- Implantation of pacemakers (dual chamber systems)
- Duplex and Doppler sonography of the cerebral and peripheral arteries
- Duplex and compression sonography of the peripheral veins (in particular, for the diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis)
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- Intensive care for patients with severe diseases (all modern means for monitoring blood circulation and breathing, devices for intravenous, drug therapy, artificial ventilation, hemodialysis)
- Diagnosis and treatment of all kidney diseases (nephrology)
- Laboratory tests
- Special ultrasound diagnostics
- Kidney puncture
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- Diagnosis and treatment of bronchial diseases (pulmonology):
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (chronic bronchitis, bronchial asthma)
- Pulmonary emphysema
- Malignant diseases of the bronchi and lungs (for example, lung cancer)
- Infectious diseases of the lungs and pleura
- Obstructive sleep apnea (screening)
- Lesions of the respiratory muscles (noninvasive artificial ventilation)
- Other pathologies
- Gastroscopy and colonoscopy (including biopsy, bleeding control, stenosis treatment, etc.)
- Treatment of postoperative sutures and impaired wound healing in the gastrointestinal tract
- Endoscopic examination of the small intestine (also in patients after surgery)
- Endoscopic examination of bile ducts, including removal of stones
- Endoscopic ultrasound examinations
- Ultrasound-guided puncture and drainage
- Installation of PEG/PEJ feeding probes (if necessary, with endoscopy-guided suturing)
- Endoscopic examination of the respiratory tract, biopsy
- Endoscopy-guided tracheal cannula installation
- Other services
- 1977 Started studying Human Medicine at the University of Duesseldorf.
- 1980 Continued education at the Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
- 1984 Medical examination (note: very good/good).
- 1984 Admission to medical practice (Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg).
- 1984 Defense of doctoral thesis (magna cum laude), Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
Medical and Scientific Activities
- 1984 - 1985 Medical Service Captain, Bundeswehr (Armed Forces of the FRG).
- 1985 - 1987 Assistant Physician, Academic Hospital Bethesda Mönchengladbach at the RWTU Aachen, Department of Internal Medicine (under the direction of Prof. Dr. Irmscher).
- 1987 - 1991 Assistant Physician, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital at the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf (Head: Prof. Dr. med. G. Strohmeyer).
- 1991 - 1993 Fellow of the German Research Society (DFG), USA, University of California, Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, postdoctoral studies under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. J.H. Grendell (Department of Gastroenterology).
- 1993 - 1995 Assistant Physician, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectiology, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 1995 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 1995 Appointed as a Senior Physician.
- 1996 Specialization in Gastroenterology.
- 1999 Habilitation. Work on the pathophysiology of acute pancreatitis and a lecture on transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting.
- 2002 Chief Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine and Conservative Intensive Care Medicine at the Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf.
Membership in Medical and Scientific Organizations
- German Society for Gastrointestinal and Metabolic Disorders.
- American Pancreatic Association.
- German Club of Pancreatologists (Deutscher Pankreasclub).
- American Gastroenterological Association.
- Working Group on Endosonography of North Rhine-Westphalia (Founding Member).
- German Cancer Society (Working Group on Gastrointestinal Cancers).
- Scientific Advisory Board Leberliga (since 2008).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Marien Hospital Düsseldorf
Department of Internal Medicine and Conservative Intensive Care Medicine.
Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.