Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology (448349)
Specialized in: diagnostic and interventional radiology
About the department
The Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology at the Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf offers the full range of services in these fields. To provide an accurate diagnostics and treatment of various diseases, the department is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, for example, since 2004, it carries out CT- and MRI-guided angiographic studies without a catheter, cardiac MRI, sentinel lymph node scintigraphy in breast cancer, etc. The methods of interventional radiology are an excellent alternative to surgery and chemotherapy. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Diederich.
The diagnostic options of the department include:
- X-ray studies (also contrast-enhanced)
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Minimally invasive diagnostic examinations
- Dental and jaw CT (orthopantomography)
- Heart testing
- Other diagnostic services
The department’s range of therapeutic services includes:
- Uterine artery embolization for the treatment of uterine fibroids
- Local radiological pain therapy (injections of analgesic substances directly into the painful area in chronic pain)
- Periradicular therapy (PRT) to treat inflammation and edema of the nerve roots in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine
- Facet joint infiltration: in case of pain in the small intervertebral joints of the cervical, thoracic or lumbar spine
- Sacroiliac joint infiltration
- Joint infiltration, for example, in hip arthrosis (joint degeneration)
- Sympathicolysis: treatment of pain caused by chronic circulatory disorders of the lower extremities
- Nerve plexus block in chronic pain due to cancer (for example, with pancreatic cancer)
- Vertebroplasty: for the treatment of back pain due to osteoporosis or spinal metastases
- Other types of pain therapy
- Local tumor treatment (ablation)
- Radiofrequency ablation (in lung cancer, kidney cancer, liver, bone, lung metastases)
- Laser interstitial thermotherapy: tumor heating with laser beams (for example, to treat liver metastases)
- Transarterial chemoembolization (most often in liver cancer, liver metastases)
- Percutaneous ethanol injections: injection of concentrated alcohol by means of the thinnest needles directly into the tumor (in liver cancer)
- Other treatments
- 1981 - 1987 Study of Medicine at the Universities of Muenster and Heidelberg.
- June 1987 Admission to medical practice, licensed by the Head of Detmold District Administration.
- July 1987 Doctoral thesis defense, Institute of Clinical Radiology, University of Muenster (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. med. P.E. Peters), note: Magna cum laude.
Medical and Scientific Activities
- July 1987 FMGEMS (American exam).
- 1988 - 1989 Fellow of the Institute of Pathology at the Ruhr University in Bochum.
- 1990 Fellow of the Institute of Clinical Radiology at the University of Muenster.
- 1992 - 1993 Senior Physician of the Department of Radiology, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.
- 1995 Medical Specialist in Radiological Diagnostics.
- Since 1995, Appointed as an Acting Head of the department, later as a Senior Physician.
- 1998 Habilitation, Institute of Clinical Radiology, University of Muenster, Venia Legendi in Diagnostic Radiology.
- 2000 Hanns-Langendorf Award of the German Association of Radiologists and the Hanns Langendorff Foundation.
- Since 2002, Chief Physician of the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology at the Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf.
- 2004 Appointed as A Visiting Professor of the Faculty of Medicine, Westphalian Wilhelm University.
- 2006 Eugenie and Felix Award of the German Society of Roentgenology.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Elected President of the International Cancer Imaging Society.
- Since 2002, Member of the International Cancer Imaging Society.
- 2014 President of the 95th German Congress on Radiology.
- 2010 and 2011 President of the Congress on Radiology in the Ruhr region.
- 2009 - 2015 Board Member of the German Society of Roentgenology.
- 2010 - 2011 President of the Society of Roentgenology of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- 2011 - 2013 Board Member of the Society of Roentgenology of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- 2002 - 2011 Chairman of the Working Group on Thoracic Diseases of the German Society of Roentgenology.
- Since 2011 Board Member of the Working Group on Thoracic Diseases of the German Society of Roentgenology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Marien Hospital Düsseldorf
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology.
Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.