Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf
Department of Neurology (448352)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
The Department of Neurology at the Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf offers the full range of services in the diagnosis and treatment of the pathology of the central and peripheral nervous system. The department has been working since 1970, therefore it has a rich arsenal of effective therapeutic methods. It treats more than 2,500 inpatients with various neurological diseases. A special focus is on emergency medical care, for example, in stroke (a specialized modern Stroke Unit). The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med.
Inpatient medical care is provided in three stations with 43 beds. Outpatient treatment is provided in a special dispensary. To provide a comprehensive diagnostics, the department has cutting-edge technical equipment: advanced devices for neurography, electromyography, electroencephalography, electronystagmography, registration of evoked potentials, a system for performing all types of ultrasound, MRI, CT, SPECT, etc.
The main clinical focuses of the department cover the treatment of the following neurological diseases:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Intravenous pulsed therapy with the use of cortisone (for example, in acute attacks)
- Interferon beta and glatiramer acetate therapy
- Escalation therapy (in severe disease progression) with the use of natalizumab or mitoxantrone
- Advising on all issues concerning the disease
- Other services
- Parkinson's disease (an incurable disease, therefore therapy is aimed at improving the patient's health)
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation
- Deep brain stimulation
- Physiotherapy for improving mobility
- Consultations on all issues concerning the disease
- Psychological support
- Other services
- Conservative treatments
- Special surgical interventions
- Other therapeutic options
- Stroke prevention (identification of stroke risk factors)
- Lysis therapy (especially effective within a few hours after the onset of a stroke)
- Intensive care with the use of high-precision monitoring systems
- Other services
- 1978 - 1984 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Duesseldorf.
- 1984 Medical examination (University of Duesseldorf).
- 1984 Admission to medical practice (issued by the District Head of Duesseldorf).
- 1986 Doctor’s Degree: "prognosis relevance in the initial symptoms of schizophrenia", Supervisor: Prof. Dr. med. K. Heinrich (Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Duesseldorf).
Medical and Scientific Activities
- 1985 - 1989 Assistant Physician, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Duesseldorf (Head: Prof. Dr. med. H.J. Freund).
- 01.1989 - 03.1990 Assistant Physician, Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Duesseldorf (Head: Prof. Dr. med. K. Heinrich).
- 1990 Medical Specialist in Neurology.
- 1990 - 1991 Scholarship of the German Research Foundation (DFG), Neurological Institute New York, Department for Cerebrovascular Disorders and Stroke Unit (Head: Prof. Dr. med. J.P. Mohr).
- 1991 - 1996 Senior Physician of the Department of Neurology, Hospital Mannheim (Faculty of Medicine, Heidelberg University).
- 1993 Habilitation. Subject: "Color duplex sonography of cerebral arteries".
- 1994 Venia Legendi in Neurology, Heidelberg University.
- April 2000 Visiting Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Heinrich Heine University of Duesseldorf.
Membership in Scientific Societies
- German Society of Neurology (DGN).
- German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM).
- German Society for Clinical Neurophysiology (DGKN).
- German Society for Migraine and Headache (DMKG).
- Working Group on Neurological Intensive Care (ANIM).
- Working Group on Vascular Diagnostics (DEGUM).
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN).
- European Society of Neurology (ENS).
- European Stroke Council.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Marien Hospital Düsseldorf
Department of Neurology.
Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.