Marien Hospital Duesseldorf
Department of Oncology and Hematology (448358)
Specialized in: oncology, hematology
About the Department of Oncology and Hematology at Marien Hospital Duesseldorf
As part of the Interdisciplinary Cancer Center (IOZ), the Department of Oncology and Hematology at the Marien Hospital Duesseldorf offers the full range of services in the field of diagnostics and drug treatment of malignant tumors of the internal organs, sarcomas, as well as diseases of the blood and lymphatic system (lymphomas, leukemia, etc.). Medical care is provided both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The department has 44 beds for inpatient treatment, as well as additional 6 beds for patients who require palliative care. Each clinical case is considered by doctors at regular interdisciplinary tumor boards, which allow the specialists to develop an individual treatment regimen taking into account the patient's particular needs and achieve the desired result. In addition to first-class medical care, the focus is on interdisciplinary oncological consultations, psychological assistance and follow-up care for patients upon the completion of treatment. The Head Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Aristoteles Giagounidis.
The department's oncologists have been successfully treating solid malignant tumors and sarcomas for many years. The treatment of certain types of cancer is provided in specialized centers: the Breast Center, the Bowel Cancer Center, the Prostate Cancer Center. The department also successfully deals with the treatment of oncological diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, lungs, kidneys, bladder, brain and other organs. Each case of cancer is unique and requires an individual approach, so the specialists of the medical facility develop a treatment regimen at the tumor board with the participation of doctors of the required specialties. Before starting treatment, the doctor explains the therapeutic regimen to the patient, talks about the expected results and answers the patient's questions.
The department's specialists have a wide range of therapeutic techniques for the treatment of the most complex types of cancer. In most cases, an integral part of the treatment is surgical tumor resection. However, the surgical intervention is not enough to cure cancer. Doctors also resort to various chemotherapy regimens in the form of infusions, pills, and topical agents. Targeted therapy, antihormone therapy, immunotherapy are also carried out. The department also offers palliative care for patients with advanced cancer. This type of therapy does not lead to recovery, but allows the patient to live without pain and other symptoms.
The department specializes in the treatment of the following diseases:
- Breast cancer
- Lung and pleural cancer (bronchial carcinoma, pleural mesothelioma)
- Esophageal cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancer (tumors of the stomach, colon, rectum)
- Pancreatic cancer
- Cancer of the female and male reproductive systems (for example, cervical, uterine, ovarian, testicular cancers)
- Kidney and urinary tract cancers (hypernephroma, bladder carcinomas)
- Bone and soft tissue tumors (bones and soft tissue sarcomas, gastrointestinal stromal tumors)
- Brain tumors
- Tumors of the lymphatic system (malignant lymphoma, plasmacytoma)
- Chronic leukemia
- Other diseases
The department's range of services includes the following therapeutic options:
- Drug therapy for tumors (chemotherapy)
- Intravenous chemotherapy
- Oral (in the form of pills) chemotherapy
- Local or regional chemotherapy
- Antihormone therapy (for example, for breast or prostate cancer)
- Biochemotherapy methods (the use of antibodies and enzyme inhibitors to suppress the division of tumor cells or kill them)
- Combination chemotherapy and radiation therapy for local advanced tumors of various origins
- Regional therapy
- Chemoperfusion and chemoembolization (in collaboration with the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology)
- Laser techniques
- Palliative and supportive care (to improve the quality of life and health condition of the patient in the end-stage cancer)
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Aristoteles Giagounidis
University Education and Professional Career
- 1986 - 1992 Study of Human Medicine, Eberhard Karl University of Tuebingen.
- 1992 Thesis defense, Faculty of Medicine, Eberhard Karl University of Tuebingen.
- 1992 Admission to medical practice, Stuttgart Regional Council, Germany.
- 08.1992 - 02.1993 Clinical Resident, Withybush General Hospital, Haverfordwest, Wales, UK.
- 02.1993 - 08.1993 Clinical Resident, William Harvey Hospital, Ashford, Kent, England.
- 10.1993 - 10.1999 Senior Clinical Resident, Department of Oncology, Hematology and Clinical Immunology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 10.1999 Board certification in Internal Medicine, Medical Association of North Rhine, Duesseldorf, Germany.
- 04.2008 Board certification in Oncology and Hematology, Medical Association of North Rhine, Duesseldorf, Germany.
- 10.1999 - 08.2012 Attending Physician, Department of Internal Medicine II, St. Johannes Hospital, Duisburg, Germany.
- 08.2008 Habilitation, Dresden University of Technology, Germany.
- Since 08.2008 Lecturer at the Dresden University of Technology, Germany.
- Since 08.2008 Member of the Aplastic Anemia and Myelodysplastic Syndrome International Foundation, Rockville, Maryland, USA.
- 06.2009 - 09.2012 Head of the Section for Clinical Research, Department of Internal Medicine II, St. Johannes Hospital, Duisburg, Germany.
- Since 09.2012 Head of the Department of Oncology and Hematology at the Marien Hospital Duesseldorf, Germany.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Marien Hospital Düsseldorf
Department of Oncology and Hematology.
Marien Hospital Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.