Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf
Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology (448526)
Karl Axel Hartmann
Specialized in: radiation therapy, radiation oncology
About the department
The Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology at the Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf offers the full range of modern methods of radiation therapy for the treatment of malignant diseases. In an interdisciplinary collaboration with specialists form the related fields, there are held regular tumor boards, during which the most appropriate time of therapy (before or after the operation) is prescribed, as well as its combination with other forms of treatment (for example, chemotherapy). In addition, the department deals with the treatment of benign diseases, for example, joint arthrosis, golfer’s elbow, etc. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Karl Axel Hartmann.
A special offer of the department is the simultaneous radiochemotherapy provided jointly with the doctors of the Cancer Oncology Center of the Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf. This type of therapy gives particularly effective results in the following diseases:
- Brain tumors (for example, glioblastoma)
- Head and neck tumors
- Esophageal cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Lung cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Soft tissue tumors
- Other malignant diseases
The competent doctors of the department also use radiation therapy to effectively combat pain, especially in the case of chronic joint and tendon pain. The irradiation of the painful area is usually carried out several times a week, with one session lasting about 30 seconds. The procedure is absolutely painless. Due to the low radiation dose, side effects are very rare, which is a big advantage.
Radiation therapy is conducted in the following benign diseases:
- Golfer’s elbow
- Heel spurs
- Achilles tendon inflammation
- Steinbrocker syndrome
- Osteoarthritis of different localization
- Flexion and extension contracture of the fingers and toes
- Soft tissue calcification (preoperative prevention or prevention after trauma)
- Prevention of gynecomastia in men (for example, before hormonal therapy for prostate cancer)
- Abnormal scarring
- Penile curvature
- Other benign diseases
The main therapeutic options of the department include:
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy
- Brachytherapy in prostate cancer
- Simultaneous chemoradiotherapy
- Afterloading therapy
- Other types of therapy
- 1982 - 1983 Study of Physics and Evangelical Theology at the University of Marburg.
- 1983 - 1984 Civil service at the University Hospital Marburg.
- 1984 - 1990 Study of Human Medicine at the Philipps University of Marburg.
- 1990 - 1991 Continued studying Human Medicine in the RWTU Aachen and at the Queen’s Medical Center, University of Nottingham (Great Britain).
- 13.05.1991 3rd State Medical Examination.
- 05.11.1992 Doctoral thesis defense at the Philipps University of Marburg (magna cum laude).
- 03.12.1992 Admission to medical practice.
Medical and Scientific Activities
- 1991 - 1996 Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology, Heinrich Heine Duesseldorf University (Head: Prof. Dr. med. G. Schmitt).
- 12.1996 Medical examination.
- 1996 - 1998 Scholarship of the Dr. Mildred Scheel Foundation, a study on tumor oxygenation in the Academic Medical Center Amsterdam (Head: Prof. Dr. med. D. Gonzàlez- Gonzàlez).
- 05.1998 Senior Physician, Department of Radiation Therapy, University of Duesseldorf.
- 01.07.1999 Habilitation (preclinical research on the application of 250 kV x-rays and hyperoxygenation in patients with rhabdomyosarcoma R1H).
- 2000 - 2002 Leading Senior Physician, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 02.09.2002 Chief Physician of the Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology at the Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf.
- 14.12.2004 Appointed as a Visiting Professor at the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 2004 - 2008 Board Member of the German Society for Radiation Oncology (DEGRO).
- Since January 2006, Medical Director.
Memberships and Teaching Activities
- European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO).
- American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO).
- German Society of Radiation Oncology (DEGRO).
- Professional Association of German Radiation Therapists.
- German Cancer Society.
- Member of the Physician Selection Commission (RöV and StrlSchV), Medical Association of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Member of the Ethics Committee, Medical Association of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Teaching activities at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology.
Academic Hospital Marien Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.