Hospital Neuperlach Munich
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Angiology and Internal Medicine (113843)
Specialized in: endocrinology, diabetology, angiology, internal medicine
About the department
The Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Angiology and Internal Medicine at the Hospital Neuperlach Munich offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients suffering from endocrine disorders, including type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus, vascular diseases and various internal diseases. The department is certified by the German Diabetes Society as a specialized Diabetes Center, so the patients can be sure that they will receive highly effective treatment here. In the field of endocrinology, the specialists provide both diagnostics and treatment of thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, pituitary, ovarian and testicular disorders. Angiology focuses on medical care for patients with chronic wounds and vascular stenosis of the lower limbs, but the doctors also deal with the treatment of occlusive peripheral arterial disease of the lower limbs, vascular stenosis, aneurysms, inflammatory vascular lesions, thrombosis, varicose veins and lymphedema. Angiologists cooperate closely with radiologists and vascular surgeons. The specialists cooperatively provide conservative, endovascular and surgical treatment of vascular diseases. More than 2,500 patients undergo treatment in the department every year.
The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Klaus-Dieter Palitzsch. The doctor enjoys a reputation as a highly professional endocrinologist and diabetologist. He is a member of several Examination Boards of the Bavarian State Medical Association, as well as a member of professional German and European societies. In addition, according to the prestigious Focus magazine, Prof. Klaus-Dieter Palitzsch ranks among the best doctors in Germany.
The key to successful treatment is high-quality and accurate diagnostics, and therefore the department has modern laboratories and diagnostic rooms. Should hormonal imbalance be suspected, the specialists conduct hormone tests and functional tests, while high-resolution duplex sonography is used for the assessment of the condition of blood vessels. In cooperation with the Department of Radiology, CT or MR angiography, digital subtraction angiography and other vascular tests are also carried out. In addition, the department has special angiography systems for the assessment of vascular patency.
The department's endocrinologists mostly deal with the diagnostics and treatment of hypothyroidism, nodular goiter, osteoporosis, disorders of calcium and phosphorus metabolism, etc. In most cases, some laboratory tests and ultrasound scanning are sufficient to make a diagnosis. In especially complex cases, functional tests, elastography, radiography, CT and MRI, thyroid scintigraphy (in cooperation with the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology) may be required. The department's medical team specializes in drug treatment of endocrine disorders. The doctors individually select for each patient the most effective medications, which will help to completely get rid of the disease or achieve compensation. If the patient requires surgical treatment, endocrine surgeons will be involved in the therapeutic process. Whenever possible, operations are performed using sparing surgical techniques.
As a certified Diabetes Center, the department is proud of its outstanding success in the treatment of various types of diabetes mellitus, including type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes and rare types of the disease. In addition, the department's medical team specializes in the treatment of diabetic foot syndrome, which is a serious complication of diabetes mellitus. The treatment of any type of diabetes mellitus is based on the control of blood glucose levels using an optimally selected regimen of insulin therapy, diet therapy and physical activities. The patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus are also offered combination therapy using insulin injections and tableted antihyperglycemic drugs. Particular attention is paid to consultations and special training aimed at teaching patients with diabetes mellitus a new way of life.
The department's service range is complemented by the diagnostics and treatment of vascular diseases. Of particular interest for the specialists in this field is the treatment of occlusive peripheral arterial disease of the lower limbs, stenosis, aneurysms and inflammatory arterial lesions, thrombosis, varicose veins, lymphedema and other peripheral vascular diseases. The department is proud of its excellent diagnostic options, which range from capillary microscopy, duplex sonography and angiography to oscillography, pulse wave velocity measurement and rheography. After receiving diagnostic results, the department's angiologists jointly with radiologists and vascular surgeons develop an individual treatment regimen for the patient. Whenever possible, the preference is given to conservative methods, such as drug therapy, compression therapy, etc. If the patient suffering from vascular pathology requires endovascular or surgical treatment, then it is provided by the highly specialized experts.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of thyroid diseases
- Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- Thyroid nodules
- Thyroid cancer
- Autoimmune thyroid disorders (for example, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Graves' disease)
- De Quervain's thyroiditis
- Diagnostics and treatment of pituitary diseases
- Diabetes insipidus
- Cushing's disease
- Hormonally inactive pituitary adenomas
- Pituitary insufficiency
- Pituitary hypogonadism
- Diagnostics and treatment of parathyroid diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of adrenal diseases
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Adrenogenital syndrome
- Cushing's syndrome
- Adrenal nodules
- Adrenal tumors (incidentalomas)
- Endocrine hypertension (Conn's syndrome, pheochromocytoma)
- Diagnostics and treatment of bone metabolism disorders (focus on the treatment of osteoporosis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of thyroid diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of gestational diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare types of diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetic foot syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of occlusive peripheral arterial disease of the lower limbs
- Diagnostics and treatment of vascular stenoses
- Diagnostics and treatment of arterial aneurysms
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory arterial lesions
- Diagnostics and treatment of thromboses
- Diagnostics and treatment of varicose veins
- Diagnostics and treatment of lymphedema
- Internal medicine
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases, including pneumonia, gastrointestinal and urinary tract infections
- Diagnostics and treatment of immunological disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of other chronic diseases
- Other medical services
- 1990 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1991 Senior Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine I at the University Hospital Regensburg.
- 1992 Specialization and the right to conduct advanced training courses in Endocrinology.
- 1995 PD and Venia Legendi in Internal Medicine.
- 1995 Certified Diabetologist, German Diabetes Society.
- 1995 Optional advanced training in Internal Intensive Care.
- 1998 Senior Physician with management responsibilities in the Department of Internal Medicine I at the University Hospital Regensburg.
- 1999 Professor in Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Regensburg.
- 1999 Examination Board Member of the Bavarian State Medical Association, focus on Endocrinology.
- 2000 Chief Physician of the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Angiology and Internal Medicine at the Hospital Neuperlach Munich.
- 2000 Member of the Examination Board of the Bavarian State Medical Association, focus on Internal Medicine.
- 2004 Examiner in Internal Medicine, third part of the medical examination, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 2005 Certified Endocrinologist, European Society of Endocrinology.
- 2006 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board specializing in Thyroid Diseases.
- 2008 Chairman of the Examination Board of the Bavarian State Medical Association, focus on Internal Medicine.
Special Clinical Interests
- Treatment of diabetes mellitus.
Awards and Honors
- Award for Good Teaching, Bavarian State Ministry for Education, Culture, Science and Arts.
- Prize in Preventive Medicine, German Society of Internal Medicine.
Memberships in Professional Societie
- Chairman of the Committee for Quality Assurance, Training and Continuing Education of the German Diabetes Society.
- German Society of Endocrinology.
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Bavarian State Medical Association.
- American Diabetes Association.
- European Society of Endocrinology.
- Massachusetts Medical Society.
Photo of the doctor: (c) München Klinik Neuperlach
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Angiology and Internal Medicine.
Hospital Neuperlach Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.