Hospital Neuperlach Munich
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery (113851)
Specialized in: vascular and endovascular surgery
About the department
The Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at the Hospital Neuperlach Munich provides modern medical services for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the arteries and veins. The department's doctors specialize in catheter-assisted and classical surgical treatment of vascular diseases. The focus is on bypass surgery and surgical treatment of varicose veins. The department enjoys a reputation as one of the largest and leading medical facilities of this kind in the region. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Rolf Weidenhagen.
The doctors provide treatment to patients both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The department annually performs more than 1,500 open surgical interventions, most of which are intended to treat diseases of the carotid arteries, aorta, iliac arteries and pelvic arteries. In addition, the department's vascular surgeons annually perform about 400 catheter-assisted procedures, namely balloon dilation and stent implantation. The department can also boast of its competence in the treatment of chronic non-healing wounds, including diabetic foot syndrome. The department's medical team cooperates closely with doctors from other medical disciplines, such as endocrinologists, angiologists, diabetologists, radiologists, orthopedists, etc. Thanks to such an interdisciplinary approach, the patients benefit from comprehensive treatment of the highest quality.
To assess the state of the vascular system, the department uses advanced diagnostic techniques, including color Doppler scanning, angiography, CT angiography and other imaging tests. The operating rooms of the medical facility are equipped with the state-of-the-art technology and have all the necessary equipment to perform surgical procedures of any complexity.
One of the primary focuses of the department's clinical practice is on the treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Vascular surgeons prefer catheter-assisted minimally invasive procedures. To achieve the best results of surgical treatment, the department's specialists carefully plan interventions using their own unique technology. The patient undergoes computed tomography, according to the results of which a 3D printer creates a model of the aorta with an aneurysm and all its branches. This approach allows the doctors to determine in advance whether the stent can be delivered to the pathological focus and firmly fixed there. The surgeons of the medical facility annually treat more than 80 patients with abdominal aortic aneurysms, and therefore they have a wealth of experience in this medical field.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Balloon dilatation for stenosis of the carotid arteries, renal arteries, vessels of the abdominal cavity, pelvis and lower limbs
- Implantation of stents for stenosis of the carotid arteries, renal arteries, vessels of the abdominal cavity, pelvis and lower limbs
- Bypass surgery
- Minimally invasive catheter-assisted procedures for abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Endoscopic and cosmetic interventions for venous diseases, in particular varicose veins
- Surgical treatment of chronic non-healing wounds, including diabetic foot syndrome (in collaboration with diabetologists)
- Other therapeutic services
- 1997 Doctorate. Subject: "Digital processing of signals from laser Doppler fluxometry for assessing blood flow in patients with occlusive peripheral arterial disease of the lower limbs".
- Since 1997 Head of the Commission for Chronic Wounds and Advisory Service for Chronic Wounds, Department of Surgery at the Hospital Grosshadern.
- 2008 - 2011 Acting Head of the Department of Vascular Surgery.
- Since 2011 Interclinical Professorship.
- 2011 - 2013 Senior Physician with management responsibilities, Department of Vascular Surgery at the Hospital Grosshadern.
- 2013 Doctoral thesis defense. Subject: "Development and implementation of the method of endoscopic vacuum therapy for anastomotic leak treatment".
- Since 2013 Head of the Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at the Hospital Neuperlach Munich.
- Board certification in Surgery.
- Board certification in Vascular Surgery.
- European qualifying examination in Vascular Surgery of the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS).
- Fellow of the European Board of Vascular Surgery (FEBVS).
- Emergency Medical Care.
- Endovascular Surgeon certified by the German Society of Vascular Surgery (DGG).
- Endovascular Specialist certified by the German Society of Vascular Surgery (DGG).
- Aortic surgery.
- Carotid surgery.
- Treatment of occlusive peripheral arterial disease of the lower limbs.
- Bypass grafting and formation of access for dialysis.
- Treatment of varicose veins.
- Treatment of thromboses.
- Treatment of chronic non-healing wounds.
- Planning of surgical procedures for aortic stent implantation.
- Modern methods for the treatment of chronic wounds.
Awards and Honors
- Video Presentation Award of the German Society of Surgery.
- Award for Innovative Development of the Working Group of Endoscopic Surgeons and Ultrasound Diagnostic Physicians of the German Society of Surgery.
- Rudolf Schindler Award of the German Society for Endoscopy and Diagnostic Imaging.
- Richard Merten Award for quality assurance in healthcare.
- Hermann Imbach Research Award.
- Rene van Dongen Poster Award of the German Society of Vascular Surgery.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Surgery (DGCH).
- German Society for Endoscopy and Imaging Procedures (DGE-BV).
- German Society of Vascular Surgery (DGG)
- European Society of Vascular Surgery (ESVS).
Photo of the doctor: (c) München Klinik Neuperlach
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery.
Hospital Neuperlach Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.