Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology (570324)
Specialized in: pediatric endocrinology
About the Department of Pediatric Endocrinology at Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe
The Department of Pediatric Endocrinology at the Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe offers the full range of services in this medical field. The department's competence includes the diagnostics and treatment of endocrine disorders, including diabetes mellitus and hormonal imbalances in newborns, children and adolescents. Here one can get medical care on both an outpatient and inpatient basis. To treat type 1 diabetes mellitus, which is the most common in children, the department's doctors use insulin therapy, diet therapy, therapeutic exercises and other methods. Hormonal imbalances are treated with the help of modern medications. The department has gained a special reputation in the treatment of diabetes mellitus in children and is now certified by the German Diabetes Society (DDG). Young patients are treated by a highly qualified team of doctors who get along well with children and provide optimal treatment at a high level. The Head Physician of the department is Dr. med. Andreas Veigel.
The department gives priority to an integrated approach to treatment, therefore, it maintains close cooperation with the Departments of Pediatric Radiology, Pediatric Surgery, Human Genetics, Pediatric Oncology and others. The basis of clinical practice is the use of advanced treatment methods, the very latest drugs, which allow the doctors to achieve a complete elimination of the pathology or maintain a satisfactory state of health of the child. At the same time, the doctors of the medical facility are always friendly with young patients and support them in every possible manner on their way to recovery.
In the field of endocrinology, priority clinical focuses are on the treatment of growth disorders, puberty disorders, bone metabolism disorders, diseases of the thyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands. During the diagnostics, comprehensive laboratory tests are carried out. If a thyroid pathology is suspected, an ultrasound scan is also performed. Depending on the particular clinical indicators, the most effective treatment regimen is selected for each child, which will ensure compensation for the pathology and the proper development of the young organism.
The department is distinguished by its unique competencies in the treatment of diabetes mellitus in children and has been certified by the German Diabetes Society. More than 200 children with diabetes mellitus receive medical care here every year. The high-quality drug therapy is selected for the patients. They can also take part in training programs, or individual and group sessions. The department's specialists provide patients with all the necessary information about the nature of the disease, treatment, preventive measures and other aspects related to the presence of diabetes mellitus. Obviously, special attention is paid to counseling parents so that they understand all the features of lifestyle modifications required for this pathology. The main treatment method for diabetes mellitus is insulin therapy, accompanied by a proper diet, as well as psychological support for the child and his family. When starting diabetes mellitus treatment, the department's specialists always set themselves the goal of ensuring a normal physical, mental and social development for their young patient.
The department's clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of growth disorders
- Short stature (treatment with or without a growth hormone)
- Gigantism (growth-slowing therapy, if required)
- Diagnostics and treatment of thyroid diseases
- Congenital hypothyroidism or absence of the thyroid gland
- Hypothyroidism or thyrotoxicosis in childhood and adolescence, such as in Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Basedow's disease
- Enlarged thyroid gland (goiter)
- Diagnostics and treatment of puberty disorders
- Delayed or impaired puberty
- Menstrual irregularities in girls, including polycystic ovary syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of adrenal diseases
- Adrenogenital syndrome
- Hypercorticism or hypercorticism syndromes
- Adrenal diseases, accompanied by arterial hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of sexual maturation disorders
- Abnormalities of the external genitalia (for example, adrenogenital syndrome, chromosomal abnormalities such as Ullrich-Turner syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome, or gonadal dysgenesis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pituitary diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of bone metabolism disorders
- Phosphate diabetes
- Diagnostics and treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus, including genetic forms of the pathology, in children: insulin therapy, training on the proper lifestyle with diabetes mellitus and psychological support
- Other medical services
Photo of the doctor: (c) Städtische Klinikum Karlsruhe
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology.
Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.