Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe
Department of General Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Rheumatology and Pulmonology (590808)
Specialized in: general internal medicine, nephrology, rheumatology, pulmonology
About the department
The Department of General Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Rheumatology and Pulmonology at the Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe offers all classic and innovative treatment methods for patients with internal diseases, kidney diseases, hypertension, inflammatory diseases of the joints and blood vessels, diseases of the lungs, bronchi and upper respiratory tract. In order to provide optimal inpatient treatment, the department has 77 beds for general medical care, as well as 19 beds in the Intensive Care Unit. A highly competent team of doctors with extensive practical experience and deep theoretical knowledge takes care of the health of patients.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Martin Hausberg. According to the Focus magazine, the doctor ranks among the top German specialists for hypertension treatment!
The department operates the specialized outpatient clinics, in which doctors admit patients with kidney diseases and hypertension, rheumatic pathologies, lung diseases and conditions after kidney transplantation. In total, the department treats about 2,500 inpatients and more than 1,800 outpatients annually.
One of the department's priorities is the conduction of various types of dialysis in kidney diseases. The dialysis procedures are carried out in a specially equipped room with 19 seats. The department's specialists annually carry out about 11,500 hemodialysis procedures on an inpatient and day patient basis. The spectrum is complemented by ultrafiltration, hemofiltration and hemodiafiltration procedures. Also, the specialists' tasks include continuous venovenous hemodialysis and continuous venovenous hemodiafiltration. In specific indications, plasmapheresis or immunoadsorption techniques can be used (for example, in autoimmune diseases, as well as in neurological syndromes). The department is one of the best in the region in dialysis procedures. It has earned a reputation as a supra-regional Peritoneal Dialysis Center.
In addition, the department's doctors are involved in the treatment of hypertension of any severity (primary and secondary forms). The most effective therapeutic options include drug therapy with lifestyle modification.
Rheumatology is also an important field of clinical practice. The experts of this field provide qualified care to patients with inflammatory joint diseases (arthritis), systemic diseases (vasculitis) and connective tissue diseases (collagenoses). The doctors have a unique experience in the treatment of inflammatory rheumatic diseases with kidney lesion. To detect rheumatic pathologies, doctors use various diagnostic techniques, in particular, diagnostic joint punctures with synovial fluid analysis, arthrosonography (joint ultrasound) and color duplex vascular sonography, as well as the very latest imaging examinations (PET, MRI, CT).
The department's pulmonologists specialize in the treatment of pneumonia, chronic inflammatory diseases of the respiratory tract (bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), emphysema, bronchiectasis, interstitial lung diseases, pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary embolism, lung cancer, pleural effusion, occupational lung diseases. To diagnose pulmonological diseases, there are used many high-precision examinations, including imaging, bronchoscopy, thoracoscopy. The invasive and non-invasive mechanical ventilation is also performed in this field. The spectrum is complemented by comprehensive diagnostics of sleep-related breathing disorders (follow-up treatment in collaboration with the Department of Otolaryngology).
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of hypertension (primary and secondary hypertension)
- Drug therapy
- Lifestyle modification
- Psychosomatic care ("stress management")
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases
- Continuous venovenous hemodialysis
- Continuous venovenous hemodiafiltration
- Dialysis access formation
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases (arthritis, vasculitis, collagenoses)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonological diseases
- Diagnostic services
- Pulmonary function tests
- Blood gas analysis at rest and under load
- Whole-body plethysmography
- Measurement of diffusing capacity of the lungs
- Nonspecific provocation tests
- Determination of the level of nitric oxide (FeNO) in exhaled nitric oxide
- 6-minute walk test
- Ultrasound examinations, including ultrasound-guided interventions on the thoracic organs
- Cardiac ultrasound (echocardiography) for the diagnostics of pulmonary hypertension
- Bronchoscopic interventions
- Rigid, flexible and combined bronchoscopy (under anesthesia)
- Modern navigation techniques (endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS), ultrasound examination using mini-probes)
- Biopsy (biopsy forceps, cryobiopsy, ultrasound-guided transbronchial suction biopsy)
- Interventional treatment of benign and malignant central respiratory stenoses (cryotherapy, stent implantation, brachytherapy, argon plasma coagulation)
- Bronchoscopic hemostasis in respiratory tract hemorrhages
- Foreign body extraction
- Treatment of patients with severe pulmonary emphysema using endoscopic reduction of lung volume, endobronchial valves
- Diagnostics and treatment of patients with pulmonary hypertension (in interdisciplinary collaboration)
- Diagnostics and treatment of patients with malignant tumors of the lungs and pleura (in interdisciplinary cooperation)
- Noninvasive and invasive mechanical ventilation
- Advanced types of COPD and pulmonary emphysema
- Obesity hypoventilation syndrome
- Restrictive lung diseases
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Prolonged mechanical ventilation and weaning
- Diagnostics (polygraphy) and treatment of breathing disorders during sleep (in collaboration with the Department of Otolaryngology)
- Imaging diagnostics (in collaboration with the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, the Department of Nuclear Medicine)
- X-ray examination
- Ventilation and perfusion scintigraphy
- Diagnostic services
- Diagnostics and treatment of general internal diseases
- Other medical services
Prof. Dr. med. Martin Hausberg studied Medicine in Lübeck and Montpellier. After training, he worked as Research Fellow at the Institute of Physics and Anatomy of the Lübeck Medical School. For two years, he worked as Visiting Research Fellow at the Cardiovascular Research Center of the University of Iowa (USA). Since 1999, Prof. Hausberg is a certified Practitioner in Internal Medicine, and in 2001 he received an additional specialization in Nephrology. The doctor devoted his habilitation to research of the activity of sympathetic nervous system and the functional properties of the vascular wall at the terminal stage of kidney failure and after kidney transplantation. In 2005, he hold the position of Extraordinary Professor for Medicine at the University of Muenster. Since 2008, he has been the Head of the Department of General Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Rheumatology and Pulmonology at the Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe.
- Chairman of the German Hypertension League.
- Member of the North Baden Hypertension League.
- Member of the International Society of Hypertension.
- Specialist in Hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Städtisches Klinikum Karlsruhe
Department of General Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Rheumatology and Pulmonology.
Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.