Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (591248)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe offers the full range of surgical treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. In the case of interventions on the brain, spinal cord, their membranes and vessels, peripheral nervous system, the neurosurgeons use the cutting-edge neuronavigation devices, stereotactic surgery, ultrasound equipment, endoscopic techniques, intraoperative electrophysiological monitoring (EEG, EMG, light-evoked potentials, acoustic evoked potentials). The competent department's surgeons annually perform about 1,800 interventions of varying degree of complexity. The Chief Physician of the department is PD Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Uwe Spetzger.
The treatment of brain tumors is a priority focus of the department. Successful operations require high-tech equipment and the high professionalism of surgeons. Since the department has all of these characteristics, it achieves the optimal treatment results. The ultramodern navigation systems and microsurgical techniques are necessarily used during surgical interventions in brain tumors.
The operation is planned using MRI. Depending on the location of the tumor, the ultrasound imaging and electrophysiological neuromonitoring can additionally be used. The purpose of surgical treatment is not only the resection of the tumor, but also the preservation of all vital functions, since damage to the nerve tissue can lead to paralysis, speech impairment, etc. The specialists in this field mostly have to deal with the treatment of meningiomas, gliomas, pituitary tumors (adenomas), acoustic neuromas, brain metastases.
The department's neurosurgeons also have long successful experience in the surgical treatment of spinal diseases, in particular, degenerative lesions, tumors and spinal injuries. In most cases, the department uses microsurgical techniques, minimally invasive procedures, which are highly accurate and effective.
The department's spectrum of medical services includes:
- Surgical treatment of brain tumors
- Acoustic neuromas
- Pituitary tumors
- Brain metastases
- Electrophysiological monitoring
- Stereotaxic biopsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of cerebral hemorrhages and vascular malformations
- Subarachnoid hemorrhages
- Cerebral aneurysms
- Endovascular procedures
- Arteriovenous malformations (cavernomas, angiomas)
- Classical surgical treatment
- Endovascular interventions
- Combination therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of spinal diseases
- Degenerative spinal diseases
- Lumbar disc herniation
- Lumbar spinal stenosis and lumbar spine instability (spondylolisthesis)
- Cervical disc stenosis and herniation
- Spinal tumors
- Intraspinal neuromas
- Intramedullary spinal cord tumors
- Spinal hemangioblastomas
- Spinal metastases
- Spinal injuries and fractures
- Degenerative spinal diseases
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Tumors of the peripheral nervous system
- Compression syndromes
- Nerve ending injuries
- Functional neurosurgery (for the treatment of motor disorders)
- Deep brain stimulation
- Ablation procedures (only in exceptional cases)
- Neurosurgical pain therapy
- Microvascular decompression (Jannetta procedure)
- Intrathecal pain therapy (using implantation of special pumps with painkillers)
- Minimally invasive procedures for pain relief (for example, X-ray-guided facet joint infiltration)
- Other diseases and surgical procedures
- 1983 - 1988 Study of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- 1988 - 1989 Practical year in Neurology and Internal Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Germany, as well as in General Surgery, University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- 1987 - 1990 Foreign Medical Graduate Examination in Medical Science
(ECFMG basic part and ECFMG clinical part).
- 1994 Doctoral thesis defense, Department of Gynecology, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- 1990 - 1996 Resident Program, Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, RWTH Aachen University, Germany.
- 1996 Consultant at the Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, RWTH Aachen University, Germany.
- 1997 Member of the German Society of Neurosurgery.
- 1997 Member of the International Society for Neurosurgical Technology and Instrument Invention (ISNTII).
- 1997 Member of the European Spine Society (ESS).
- 1998 Member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS).
- 1999 Grant of the Wilhelm Tönnis Foundation of the German Society of Neurosurgery for Scientific Internship at University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Neurosurgery.
- 1999 - 2002 Vice Chairman at the Department of Neurosurgery, University of Freiburg, Germany.
- 2000 Qualification as University Lecturer (habilitation), Faculty of Medicine, RWTH Aachen University, Germany.
- 2001 International Membership of the Cerebrovascular Section of the AANS/CNS.
- 2001 Foundation Member CURAC, German Society of Computer and Robot-Assisted Surgery.
- 2002 Head and Professor of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery, Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe, Germany.
Awards, Honors and Memberships
- 2003 Faculty Member of the University of Karlsruhe, Institute of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE).
- 2004 Corresponding Member of the German Academy of Neurosurgery (Section IV: Science and Teaching).
- 2006 Member of the Society for Medical Innovation and Technology (SMIT).
- 2007 Member of the German Spine Society (DWG).
- 2007 Member of the Heinrich Hertz Society, University of Karlsruhe, Germany.
- 2008 Faculty Member and Dr. h. c. at the Tbilisi State Medical University, (TSMU) Tiflis, Georgia.
- 2008 Premium lifetime membership Karlsruher Sport Club (KSC).
- 2008 Head and Consultant of the Department of Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery, ARCUS Sportklinik, Pforzheim, Germany.
- 2008 Honorary Director and Scientific Cooperation Partner, First People’s Hospital Changzhou, China.
- 2009 Member of the Center for Art and Media (ZKM).
- 2009 Member of the Association of Neuroesthetics.
- 2009 Member of the New European Surgical Academy (NESA)
- 2009 Member of the Research Center Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Städtisches Klinikum Karlsruhe
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.