Treatment of prostate cancer with da Vinci prostatectomy (program ID: 389895)
Academic Urological Clinic Dortmund
Michael TrussSpecialized in: adult and pediatric urology
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology
The Department of Urology annually admits more than 780 patients with prostate cancer. Specialists of the department successfully perform radical prostatectomy with the help of da Vinci robot. The Head Physician of the department, Prof. Dr. med. M. Truss implements into the clinical practice the latest achievements, being a member of the European Association of Urology, the American Urological Association and the German Society of Urology.
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- history taking
- general clinical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- tumor marker, PSA
- ultrasound of the urogenital system
- CT/MRI scanners
- preoperative care
- nerve-sparing da Vinci prostatectomy
- histologically and immunohistochemically
examination of the remote tissues
- symptomatic treatment
- cost of essential medicines
- control examinations
- nursing services
- stay in the hospital with full board
- accommodation in 2-bedded room
- elaboration of individual treatment plan
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the Academic Urological Clinic Dortmund offers full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in these medical focuses. The specialists of the department have a unique experience in the treatment of prostate cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia, bladder, kidney cancers, urinary incontinence, kidney, bladder stones and other diseases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Michael Truss, who is a highly qualified specialist with many years of successful clinical experience in the field of his specialization.
The department is equipped with the state-of-the-art equipment meeting modern standards and requirements. Here are available advanced digital radiography facilities with reduced radiation exposure, cutting-edge devices for contactless removal of urinary stones (ESWL), high-resolution ultrasound devices, picture archiving and communication systems (PACS), fluorescence cystoscopy instruments, devices for measuring bladder pressure, laser equipment, operating microscopes, video laparoscopes of the newest generation, robot-assisted systems, for example, da Vinci robot.
One of the key focuses of the department is urologic oncology. In this field, a huge number of the most complex operations are routinely performed (for example, surgical treatment of kidney cancer, complications in thrombosis of the renal and inferior vena cava). Also, here are available all treatments for problems with urination (for example, the formation of an internal reservoir, an artificial bladder from the small intestine, etc.).
Prostate cancer treatment is carried out within the specialized Dortmund PRO DO Prostate Cancer Center. Thanks to the close interdisciplinary cooperation of the competent specialists in the field of urology, radiation therapy, oncology, pathophysiology, radiation medicine, radiology, physiotherapy, psycho-oncology, private practitioners specializing in urology, here are provided excellent treatment results at any stage of the disease.
The department specializes in the use of innovative surgical techniques: laparoscopic and endoscopic operations (keyhole surgery), minimally invasive interventions, robotic surgery. In 2005, the department became the certified Minimally Invasive Surgery Center and one of the leading centers of its kind in Germany. Compared with classical surgery, such interventions have a variety of advantages: minimal blood loss, minimal postoperative pain, the minimal risk of inflammation or postoperative hernia, hospital stay and postoperative rehabilitation period are significantly reduced, the best cosmetic effect. Such operations have perfectly proven themselves, both in benign and malignant diseases of the genitourinary system. Of particular interest is the radical removal of the prostate gland, which is also performed minimally invasively. In addition, here is widely used a intrafascial technique, which was developed with the participation of the department’s specialists.
The department practices various treatments for kidney stone disease. The main ones include extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, examination of the ureter with both hard and flexible instruments with the following internal stone breaking by means of a shock wave or a laser (ureterorenoscopy), and external operations without a cut (percutaneous nephrolithotripsy and minimally invasive nephrolithotripsy).
The service range of the department is complemented by the treatment of urinary incontinence in men and women (KONTINENZ DO Center certified by the German Continence Society). Close cooperation of specialists in the field of urology, gynecology, adult and pediatric surgery, neurology and physiotherapy contributes to the introduction of the very latest research and advanced medical technologies into daily practice. A successful treatment of urinary incontinence requires differentiated diagnosis. The department conducts all modern diagnostic tests: bladder pressure measurement (urodynamics), also in combination with X-ray (video urodynamics), X-ray diagnostics of the lower urinary tract (bladder and urethra) with the use of contrast agents, sonography of the upper and lower urinary tract, examination of the bladder and vagina. It should be noted that the department is one of the leading medical institutions in the development of surgical techniques for the treatment of urinary incontinence ("loops", implantation of an artificial bladder sphincter) not only in women, but also in men. In the treatment of a hyperactive bladder, all medication methods, including botox injections, can be used.
In addition, the department demonstrates excellent results in the field of reconstructive surgery. Preservation of an organ or its function belongs to the most important tasks pursued by the medical team. To do this, modern methods are used, for example, operations on the ureter, which can be affected in different lengths due to a trauma or inflammation. In considerable changes in a small area, the ureter can be attached to the bladder while keeping the kidney from the damaged side. In changes on a bigger area, the ureter is replaced by a part of the small intestine.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Extensive interventions to treat benign and malignant diseases
- Removal of tumors of the kidneys, adrenals, ureters and renal pelvis
- Removal of bladder tumors
- Removal of prostate tumors
- Removal of testicular tumors
- Removal of penile tumors
- Surgery to install the urethral catheter after total bladder removal (for example, the formation of the bladder from the small intestine segments (neobladder), derivation of urine into the sigmorectal reservoir according to Mainz-Pouch II)
- Robot-assisted surgery (with the daVinci system)
- Minimally invasive surgery for the treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the urogenital system
- Minimally invasive surgery for the treatment of kidney disease
- Other types of operations
- Minimally invasive treatment of kidney stone disease
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy
- Percutaneous nephrolithotripsy
- And other treatments
- Urethral surgery
- Transurethral surgery
- Open interventions on the urethra (resection, flap surgery, etc.)
- Other interventions
- Reconstructive urologic surgery
- Treatment of urologic diseases in children
- Consultations on impotence
- Microsurgical refertilization
- Testicular biopsy to detect fertility problems
- Sperm sampling for artificial insemination
- Semen cryopreservation
- Diagnosis and treatment of potency disorders
- Surgical correction of penile curvature
- And other services
- Urological cancers
- Chemotherapy (on both an inpatient and outpatient basis)
- Immunotherapy/interferon therapy
- Postoperative local instillation therapy after bladder tumor resection
- Radiation therapy
- And other treatments
- 1981 - 1988 Study of Medicine (Hannover Medical School, Tufts University School of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA/DAAD scholarship).
- 1988 State Exam, Medical License and Foreign Medical Graduates Examination in the Medical Sciences (FMGEMS).
- 1988 - 1993 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology, Hannover Medical School, James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, USA, Department of Surgery; Henrietta Foundation in Hanover.
- 1992 Doctor’s Degree.
- 1993 Exam (Medical Specialist in Urology).
- 1993 - 1995 Junior Research Fellow, Institute for Peptide Research in Lower Saxony G.m.b.H. (IPF), Medical Park Hannover, Scholarship of the German Research Society.
- Since 1995 Senior Physician, Department of Urology, Hannover Medical School.
- 1996 Associate Professorship and Venia Legendi in Urology, Hannover Medical School.
- 2000 Additional qualification in urology – special urologic surgery.
- 2001 - 2005 Board Member of the Surgery Center and Section II of the Academic Council of the Hannover Medical School.
- Since 2001 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Urology, Hannover Medical School.
- 2001 Visiting Professor.
- 2002 - 2003 Additional education in Medical Hospital Management, Special Higher Educational Establishment of Hanover.
- 2003 Expert of the European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM).
- Since 01.03.2005 Head of Academic Urological Clinic Dortmund.
- 11.2006 Additional qualification in andrology, Westfalen-Lippe Medical Association.
- 12.2007 Additional qualification in drug treatment of tumors, Westfalen-Lippe Medical Association.
Membership in Scientific Societies
- German Society of Urology (DGU).
- Professional Association of German Urologists (BDU).
- Working Group on Infectology (DGU).
- Working Group on Kidney Transplantation (DGU).
- Association of Urologists of Northern Germany (VNU).
- European Association of Urology (EAU).
- American Urological Association (AUA).
- Urological Research Society (URS).
- International Continence Society (ICS).
- European School of Urology (ESU).
- Society of Urology of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW-GU).
- Association for the Promotion of Biomedical and Clinical Research, Dortmund.
- Member of the Expert Commission on Medical Liability in the Westfalen-Lippe Medical Association.
- Guideline Panel, European Association of Urology (EAU).
- Society of Oncology of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Commission on Ethics, Leipzig Institute for the Study of Labor Processes, Technical University of Dortmund.
- Working Group on Laparoscopy and Robot-assisted Surgery, German Society of Urology.
Scientific Awards (Author and Co-author)
- 1990 1st Award, Working Group "Experimental Urology" of the German Society of Urology.
- 1994 Kabi Pharmacia Award within the framework of the Urodynamicum Forum.
- 1995 6th Award for innovations in urology, Award in Erectile Dysfunction (the first award), European Society for Impotence Research. 2nd award, 47th Congress of the German Society of Urology.
- 1996 3rd Award, 48th Congress of the German Society of Urology.
- 1997 AUA-EAU international Academic Exchange Fellowship.
- 1997 American Tour.
- 1998 Jack Lapides Essay Contest on Urodynamics and Neurourology Research, Grand Prize.
- 1999 Jack Lapides Essay Contest on Urodynamics and Neurourology Research, Second Prize.
- 2000 Peter Bischoff Award of the Northern German Association of Urology.
- 2000 Wolfgang Mauermeyer Award, Working Group on BPH of the German Society of Urology.
- 2004 Educational Video Prize for Surgery, 19th Congress of the European Association of Urology (EAU).
- 2006 Wolfgang Mauermeyer Award, Working Group on BPH of the German Society of Urology.
- 2007 Award (Posterpreis) of the Society of Urology of North Rhine-Westphalia (annual congress in Cologne).
- 2011 Award (Posterpreis) of the Society of Urology of North Rhine-Westphalia (annual congress in Aachen).
- 2012 3rd Award (Posterpreis) of the Society of Urology of North Rhine-Westphalia (annual congress in Essen).
- 2014 Award (Posterpreis) of the Society of Urology of North Rhine-Westphalia (annual congress in Dusseldorf).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Dortmund gGmbH
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Treatment of prostate cancer with da Vinci prostatectomy
- Hospital: Academic Urological Clinic Dortmund
- access_time Duration:
There are 46 prostate cancer treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics