Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele
Department of General and Abdominal Surgery (151)
Specialized in: general surgery, abdominal surgery
About the department
The Department of General and Visceral Surgery, headed by Prof. Dr. Marco Niedergethmann, specializes in all modern areas of surgery, starting from general medical care and up to minimally invasive and complex surgical oncology.
The team of experienced specialists of the Department of General and Visceral Surgery at the Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele provides the full range of services in diagnosis and treatment of all surgical diseases of the abdominal cavity (the
whole gastrointestinal tract, liver, gall bladder, pancreas, spleen, peritoneum), endocrine organs (thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal glands), abdominal wall hernias (inguinal hernia, umbilical hernia) as well as soft body tissues. The patient care is carried out in the context of intensive cooperation with the multi-skilled referring doctors and specialists, other Departments of the Alfried Krupp Hospital as well as with the partners in other hospitals and medical institutions.
Furthermore, the Department of General and Visceral Surgery at the Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele, headed by Prof. Dr. Marco Niedergethmann, specializes in malignant diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, pancreas, liver, colon and rectum). The treatment is provided in accordance with the latest medical developments.
The Department of General and Visceral Surgery at the Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele is the Certified Intestinal Cancer Center (in accordance with DIN ISO EN 9001) and the Competence Center for Surgical Coloproctology (German Society for General and Visceral Surgery). The Department offers various variants of surgical treatment for obesity to the patients suffering from morbid obesity as well as detailed consultation services, support and postoperative
treatment. The Department has been the Comprehensive center for the treatment of surgical pancreatic diseases since the beginning of 2016. Due to the cooperation with the Department of Urology, Gynecology, Neurology, Radiology and Internal Medicine I, the Department of General and Visceral Surgery makes up the Certified center for the treatment of incontinence and pelvic floor disorders of Essen-Ruhr. This Center specializes in diagnosis and treatment of pelvic floor disorders.
The Department of General and Visceral Surgery at the Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele, headed by Prof. Dr. Marco Niedergethmann, is included in the list of “TOP
100 Hospitals” of the FOCUS magazine.
The main objectives of the Department of General and Visceral Surgery and its priority areas:
- Esophagus and stomach
- Gall bladder and bile ducts
- Small, large intestine and rectum
- Proctology (rectum)
- Hernia excision
- Endocrine surgery
- Studium der Medizin in Marburg, Heidelberg/Mannheim und San Francisco/USA
- 1998 Approbation und Promotion
- 1998 - 2012 Ausbildung zum Facharzt für Chirurgie, Gefäßchirurgie und Viszeralchirurgie an der Chirurgischen Universitätsklinik Mannheim
- 2006 Habilitation
- 2008 Professor (apl.) für Chirurgie der Universität Heidelberg
- 2010 Geschäftsführender Oberarzt der Chirurgischen Universitätsklinik Mannheim
- 2013 Chefarzt der Klinik für Allgemein- und Viszeralchirurgie des Alfried Krupp Krankenhauses Essen
Klinische und wissenschaftliche Schwerpunkte
- Chirurgie von Dickdarm und Mastdarm (Darmkrebs, Colitis, Crohn)
- Chirurgie von Leber und Bauchspeicheldrüse
- Magen- und Speiseröhrenchirurgie
- Minimal-invasive Chirurgie
- Hernien- und Schilddrüsenchirurgie
- Zertifizierter Viszeralchirurg für „Chirurgische Erkrankungen des
- Pankreas" (2010) und„Chirurgische Erkrankungen der Leber" (2011)Kompentenzzentrum Universitätsklinik Mannheim, der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Allgemein- und Viszeralchirurgie (DGAV)
Photo of the doctor: (c) Alfried Krupp Krankenhaus
Department of General and Abdominal Surgery.
Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.