Assuta Hospital Tel Aviv
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (534858)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Assuta Hospital Tel Aviv offers the full range of surgical treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. In the course of surgical intervention, there are used surgical microscopes, intraoperative MRI and ultrasound examination, neuronavigation systems, with the help of which it is possible to image the shortest and safest access to the surgical area. These techniques contribute to the best possible preservation of healthy tissues adjacent to the surgical field. The very latest surgical techniques in combination with the tremendous experience of doctors provide excellent treatment results.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Zvi Ram, who is one of the most famous Israeli neurosurgeons, whose clinical experience exceeds 30 years. A world-famous doctor, the specialist of the highest category in functional neurosurgery and minimally invasive removal of the brain tumors. He performs very complex surgeries on the brain and spinal cord, as well as on the pituitary, such as tumor removal through the nose.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Transsphenoidal pituitary surgeries (access through the nostril)
- Replacement and prosthetics of the spinal discs, vertebrae
- Surgical treatment of neoplasms in the spine and spinal cord
- Surgical treatment of brain tumors
- Endoscopic surgeries in hydrocephalus, as well as its treatment with the help of bypass grafting
- Surgical treatment of epilepsy (implantation of the vagus nerve stimulator)
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Surgery to remove skull base tumors
- Skull surgeries (in collaboration with the craniofacial and ENT surgeons)
- Surgical treatment of glioblastoma
- Rehabilitation of patients taking into account their professional activities and lifestyle
- Other medical services
It should be noted that the department offers many unique medical techniques, which have proven to be highly effective internationally. The most prominent of them are:
- DISC FX is an innovative minimally invasive technique for the treatment of spinal disc herniation using the RF ENERGY technology. It is based on the use of high-frequency low-temperature radio waves and allows to minimize both pain syndrome and rehabilitation period.
- Sparing surgical treatment of brain tumors, which is preceded by a complex of diagnostic procedures, such as computed tomography, MRI, radioisotope scanning techniques, angiography, and biopsy.
- CyberKnife is an innovative therapeutic method, the principle of which lies in the targeted effect of an X-ray beam directly on the tumor. This allows the doctor to reduce the postoperative brain swelling, to preserve the surrounding tissues, and therefore avoid the complications during the postoperative period.
Neurosurgeon Prof. Zvi Ram is an extra level specialist with an international recognition. He has a unique experience, high qualification, deep knowledge and is actively involved in the scientific activities in neurosurgery and neuro-oncology. As a brilliant surgeon, he performs the most complicated operations on the brain and spinal cord, which requirу high professionalism. The doctor is known far beyond the borders of his country. The positive feedbacks of the patients whom he operated are the best evidence of his qualification.
The doctor’s practice involves both traditional surgical methods requiring trepanation and minimally invasive endoscopic interventions, for example, he removes the pituitary and brain tumors through the nasal sinuses. Zvi Ram pays great attention to the improvement of surgical methods, so he introduced a new technology of brain surgery with the use of MRI during the operations, which brought him a wide recognition in medical circles.
The professor is one of the leading specialists in the world who performs unique in their complexity and specificity surgical interventions on the brain without general anesthesia, when the patient is conscious during the whole operation with the use of local anesthesia.
- Medical School at the University of Maryland, USA.
- Sackler Medical School at the Tel Aviv University, Israel.
- Specialization in Neurosurgery and Neuro-Oncology.
- 1991 - 1994 Senior Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, National Institutes of Health, Maryland, USA.
- 1994 Senior Physician in the Department of Neurosurgery at the Sheba Medical Center at Tel HaShomer, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Since 1995, Lecturer, Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine at the Tel Aviv University, Sackler Medical School.
- 2000 Assistant Professor in Neurosurgery, Sackler Medical School, Israel.
- 1999 - 2003 Deputy Head of the Department of Neurosurgery, Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer.
- 2003 Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at the Sourasky Ichilov Medical Center.
- 2011 Professor in Neurosurgery, Sackler Medical School, Israel.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Israeli Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- European Association of Neurosurgical Surgeons.
- American Congress of Neurosurgical Surgeons.
- American Association of Neurological Researches.
- International Pituitary Society (US Department).
- Member of the Neuro-Oncology Commission of the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies.
- Representative of the World Federation of Neurological Surgeons in Israel.
- Israel Cancer Association, Member of the Neuro-Oncological Commission.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Assuta Medical Centers
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
Assuta Hospital Tel Aviv:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.