Assuta Hospital Tel Aviv
Department of Bariatric Surgery (534873)
Subhi Abu Abeid
Specialized in: bariatric surgery
About the department
The Department of Bariatric Surgery at the Assuta Hospital Tel Aviv offers the full range of effective treatments of obesity. The Chief Physician is Dr. med. Subhi Abu Abeid.
The treatment of obesity is a comprehensive process, which involves the participation of nutritionists, gastroenterologists and bariatric surgeons, as well as competent psychologists. Surgical treatment is based on laparoscopic techniques, which reduce the traumatic effect and speed up the rehabilitation period. In addition, it is possible to perform operations using the innovative DaVinci surgical system.
The department offers the following surgical techniques for the treatment of obesity:
- Gastric banding surgery. During the operation, a special ring is placed on the upper part of the stomach. Thus, the stomach is divided into two unequal parts. The volume of the upper part in the stomach decreases and food intake slows down. Since the receptors, which signal to the brain about the saturation are located in the upper part of stomach, the feeling of hunger disappears after eating a minimum amount of food. This method allows the patient to achieve the weight loss by 50-60% from the current body weight. At the same time, it remains possible to regulate the gap of the stomach using the bandage, which allows to achieve the necessary body weight for the patient. The operation is laparoscopic.
- Gastroscopic stomach plastic surgery. The surgery aims to create additional folds inside the stomach with the help of special titanium clips, which reduce the overall size of the stomach. The stomach plastic surgery is a less radical method compared to other surgical methods. This method is used at the early stages of obesity. The surgery is performed using a gastroscope, which allows the doctor to insert the microsurgical instruments combined with a video camera. With the help of special manipulators, the surgeon can control the instruments, observing his work on the monitor screen.
- Gastric bypass surgery. At present, this method is the most effective and allows the patient to reduce body weight to 60-70%. Today, this technique is the "gold standard" among other medical methods of obesity treatment. The gastric bypass surgery is laparoscopic. Thus, only several small incisions are made on the anterior abdominal wall.
- Biliopancreatic shunting allows not only to reduce the stomach volume, but also to reduce the level of nutrient absorption. This is due to the small intestine reconstruction. During this operation, the gallbladder is also removed. This results in a combined effect – food saturation occurs earlier and its digestibility decreases.
- Plastic surgery after a significant weight loss. The main ones include the liposuction, abdominoplasty, torso and hip lift.
- 1982 Faculty of Medicine at the Hebrew University Hadassah, Jerusalem, Israel.
- 1988 Advanced training in the Department of Gastroenterology at the famous medical center ("New assessment method for gastric secretion potential").
- 1989 - 1991 Specialization in General Surgery at the Rokah Hospital, Tel Aviv.
Courses and Advanced Training
- Practice in General Surgical Interventions at the largest hospitals of Rivka Ziv and Suraski.
- Advanced training and internships at the European Surgical Institute, University Magdeburg (Germany), Hospital of Liege (Belgium), University of Atlanta, and Cleveland Clinic (USA).
Membership in Professional Organizations
- Israeli Surgical Association.
- Israeli Society of Endoscopic Surgery.
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity.
- American Society for Bariatric Surgery.
- American and International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity.
- Senior Lecturer, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- Lecturer at the course for surgeons on the support of vital organs in injuries (ATLS).
Main Scientific and Clinical Interests
- Laparoscopic and Obesity Surgery, including various methods for the stomach volume reduction.
- Isolated regional perfusion of the separate segments in treatment of developed soft tissue sarcomas and malignant melanoma.
Department of Bariatric Surgery.
Assuta Hospital Tel Aviv:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.