ATOS Clinic Heidelberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Sleep Medicine (364709)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology, sleep medicine
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Sleep Medicine at the ATOS Clinic Heidelberg offers a full spectrum of services in the corresponding areas of healthcare. The goal of the department is to provide high-precision diagnostics and optimal treatment for patients suffering from ear, nose and throat diseases, breathing disorders associated with sleep at the highest level of university medicine. At the same time, much attention is paid to the individual approach, the establishment of trust between the doctor and the patient, as well as the creation of a comfortable and friendly atmosphere in the department. The chief physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Markus Fischer.
The department owns the cutting-edge computer equipment to provide audiometry, polygraphy, polysomnography and other necessary tests to ensure accurate diagnostics in adults and children.
Here they ensure high healthcare standards which are contributed by the large experience of the chief physician and all the medical team in the area of conservative and surgical treatment. Treatment is provided both inpatient and outpatient. Surgery of the middle ear presents special interest for the department, including operations on otostapes, and the installation of implantable hearing aids. In addition, the specialists of the department specialize in the surgical treatment of Meniere's disease and cochlear implantation. For carrying out operations on the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses, modern endoscopic and microscopic surgical procedures are used. Surgical treatment is also provided for neck pain, microsurgery of the larynx, endonasal surgery of the lacrimal ducts, diagnosis and surgical treatment of breathing disorders associated with sleep are offered.
The range of diagnostic services of the department covers:
- Tonal audiometry
- Speech audiometry
- Hearing aid check
- Registration of otoacoustic emissions (delayed OAE and OAE at the frequency of distortion products)
- Measurement of induced acoustic potentials of the brain stem (BERA)
- Screening of newborns
- Ultrasound examinations
- Ultrasound scanning of the paranasal sinuses of the nose and neck (B-mode)
- Sleep medicine
- Studies of voice and speech
- LED stroboscopy
- Diagnosis of the vestibular function
- Positional test (in the diagnosis of benign paroxysmal positional dizziness
- Caloric sample
- Videonystagmography (inner ear research)
- The evoked vestibular myogenic potentials (VEMP)
- Studies of smell and taste
- Other studies
The range of surgical services of this department covers:
- Microsurgery of the middle ear
- Surgery to treat cholesteatoma
- Operations on otostapes
- Installation of implantable hearing aids
- Cochlear implantation
- Cosmetic plastic surgery
- Operations on the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses
- Surgeries on nasal concha
- Septoplasty (surgery to correct the curvature of the nasal septum)
- Functional septorhinoplasty
- Endonasal endoscopic surgery of the paranasal sinuses
- Extra-nasal surgery of the paranasal sinuses
- Microsurgical interventions on the larynx
- Microsurgical interventions on the tear ducts
- Operations for the treatment of breathing disorders associated with sleep (uvulopalatopharyngoplasty)
- Adenotomy (surgery to remove adenoids)
- Tonsillectomy (an operation to remove tonsils)
- Other interventions
- 1983 - 1989 Study of medicine at Ruprecht and Karl Heidelberg University.
- January 1990 - May 1990 Internship at the Institute of Hygiene at Ruprecht and Karl Heidelberg University.
- July 1991 - June 1997 Assistant Doctor, Department of Otolaryngology, University Clinic Essen.
- August 1996 Specialist in otolaryngology.
- July 1997 - September 2002 Senior physician, Department of Otolaryngology, University Clinic Essen.
- October 2002 - January 2007 Leading senior physician of the Department of Otolaryngology, University Clinic Essen.
- January 2003 - January 2007 Deputy Head of the Department of Otolaryngology, University Clinic Essen, research internship and other activities.
- July 1992 - July 1994 Research internship at the German Heidelberg Cancer Research Center, under the guidance of Professor, Honorary Doctor G. zur Hausen. The main research topic: Applied virology in tumors of viral origin, a branch of study of tumors of viral origin.
- July 1997 - January 2007 Head of the Ruhr Cochlear Implant Center.
- February 1999 - May 2000 General Coordinator of the 4th European Congress on Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, May 3-18, 2000, Berlin.
- Since 2007 Teacher at the University of Duisburg-Essen.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Member of the German Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, and a member of the following working groups of the society: the working group on the ENT Infectology and hygiene (from 22.05.2004 secretary and treasurer of the group), Working Group on Clinical Immunology, Allergy and Environmental Medicine, working groups on oncology and sleep medicine.
- Working group of German-speaking audiologists, neurologists and otologists (ADANO).
- Politzer Society.
- European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery (EAFPS).
- International Federation of Oncology Societies for the Treatment of Head and Neck Tumors.
- European Academy of Sleep Medicine (EASM).
- Member of the German Cancer Society, and a member of the following working groups of the society: the working group on experimental cancer research (AEK), HNO / MKG Onkologie (AHMO).
- West German Oncology Center Essen (WTZE).
Photo of the doctor: (c) ATOS Klinik Heidelberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Sleep Medicine.
ATOS Clinic Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.