Childrens Academic Hospital Amsterdamer Cologne
Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology (301972)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery and urology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology at the Children's Academic Hospital Amsterdamer Cologne offers the full range of surgical interventions in children, with the exception of heart surgery. The department's tasks also include medical care for young patients with severe burns. With 80 beds, the department is one of the largest Pediatric Surgery Centers in Germany. A competent team of the department's surgeons performs more than 5,500 surgical interventions annually. In most cases, surgical treatment is performed using sparing minimally invasive techniques. The Chief Physician Of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Thomas Boemers.
The department's specialists have particular experience and high competence in the treatment of pathologies of the urinary tract (kidneys, ureters, bladder, urethra and male reproductive organs). It deals with the treatment of such congenital abnormalities as cryptorchidism, hypospadias, vesicoureteral reflux and varicocele, as well as with functional disorders, for example, impaired bladder emptying. During the diagnostics and treatment, the department cooperates closely with other departments of the hospital, including doctors specializing in pediatric and adolescent medicine, pediatric radiology. A particular offer in paediatric urology is the special therapy of urinary incontinence.
The department pays special attention to the treatment of children with complex congenital pathologies (bladder exstrophy, anal atresia, cloacal malformations, cloacal exstrophy, etc.). The department's doctors admit children for the treatment not only from all over Germany, but also from other countries. In addition,they are engaged in the treatment of children with malformations of the urethra or reproductive organs, as well as with impairments of the formation of external reproductive organs. It is worth noting that the department is part of the Continence Center, which unites the municipal hospitals of Cologne.
The department was awarded with the prestigious Ausgezeichnet. FÜR KINDER quality mark for outstanding treatment quality ("Excellent. For children") of the Association of Pediatric Hospitals and Pediatric Departments in Germany.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- General pediatric surgery
- Abdominoperineal surgery
- Surgical treatment of anal atresia
- Excision of the anal fissures
- Antireflux surgery
- Formation and closure of stoma
- Appendectomy (laparoscopic and classic)
- Abdominal surgery
- Injection of botulinum toxin into the bladder
- Surgical treatment of bladder exstrophy
- Surgical treatment of bowel pathologies, including resection
- Surgical removal of dermoid cysts and small skin tumors
- Diagnostic laparoscopy
- Plastic surgery of the frenulum of tongue
- Orchidopexy through inguinal access
- Correction of testicular torsion
- Suprapubic catheter placement
- Resection of hemangiomas and nevi
- Frenulotomy (plastic surgery of the penile frenulum)
- Frenectomy (plastic surgery of the penile frenulum)
- Laparoscopic gallbladder surgery
- Joint puncture
- Gastrostomy formation
- Surgery for cysts and fistulas of the neck
- Surgical treatment of hypospadias
- Epispadias correction
- Cloacal exstrophy correction
- Surgical treatment of Hirschsprung's disease
- Laparotomy (for example, fundoplication, liver resection, spleen surgery)
- Liver resection (in case of cysts and tumors)
- Laparoscopic formation of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy
- Nuss procedure to correct pectus excavatum
- Surgical treatment of hydrocephalus
- Splenic interventions
- Formation of neovagina
- Feminizing genitoplasty
- Renal pelvis plastic surgery
- Surgical repair of esophageal atresia
- Annular ligament dissection
- Surgical treatment of the pilonidal sinus
- Thoracotomy for pulmonary sequestration, bronchogenic cysts
- Pediatric thoracic surgery
- Cancer surgery (for example, Wilms' tumor, neuroblastoma, sarcoma)
- Formation of ventriculoperitoneal shunt
- Surgical treatment of burns
- Wounds management
- Diaphragmatic surgery
- General pediatric urology
- Cryptorchidism correction
- Hypospadias correction
- Varicocele correction
- Treatment of bladder emptying disorders
- Surgical treatment of complex malformations
- Complex malformations of the esophagus and respiratory tract
- Complete cleft lip, jaw and palate
- Surgical treatment of hand and foot malformations
- Surgical treatment of burns, including severe ones
- Pediatric traumatology
- Other surgical options
Education and Professional Career
- 1978 - 1985 Study of Medicine at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1985 Doctoral thesis defense, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1985 - 1997 Preparation for board certification in Adult and Pediatric Urology, Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital of Lübeck, Munich-Schwabing Municipal Hospital, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich, University Hospital Utrecht (Netherlands).
- 1997 - 1999 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Surgery, Altona Children's Hospital, Hamburg.
- 1999 - 2001 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Section of Pediatric Urology and Surgical Treatment of Urinary Incontinence, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 2001 - 2005 Board Member and Chief Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Salzburg State Hospital and Paracelsus Medical University, Salzburg, Austria.
- Since September 2005 Chief Physician of the Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology at the Children's Academic Hospital Amsterdamer Cologne.
- 2001 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Pediatric Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tuebingen.
- 2007 Extraordinary Professorship at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Tuebingen.
- 2012 Extraordinary Professorship at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Cologne.
Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology.
Childrens Academic Hospital Amsterdamer Cologne:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.