Dermatology Clinic Braun-Falco Munich
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology (501569)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric dermatology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology at the Dermatology Clinic Braun-Falco Munich offers the full range of preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with skin diseases, skin manifestations of allergies, hair and nail diseases. Medical care is provided to patients of various age categories, including young children and the elderly. The priority clinical activities include general dermatology, oncodermatology, dermatologic surgery and treatment of rare skin diseases. In addition, the department specializes in cosmetic procedures for prevention of age-related skin changes. The department employs highly qualified dermatologists with long clinical experience who apply only innovative treatment methods, which have proven themselves all over the world. The treatment regimens are developed for each patient individually, according to current clinical protocols. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Markus Braun-Falco.
The department has excellent medical and technological base, including treatment rooms for laser therapy with diode and erbium lasers, in-house Dermatohistopathology Laboratory for skin sample testing under a microscope, the innovative Waldmann UB UV 7002 phototherapy system for the treatment of psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, mycosis, vitiligo and other skin diseases. The department has two progressive operating rooms, which serve for biopsy, as well as for the interventions to remove benign and malignant skin tumors. In the case of skin tumor removal in the face, the department's specialists always take into account the aesthetic aspect.
General dermatology is responsible for the treatment of benign skin diseases. The most common pathologies in the department's clinical practice are skin manifestations of allergies, eczema, psoriasis and lichenoid dermatoses, autoimmune bullous dermatoses, acne, rosacea, skin pigmentation disorders, viral, fungal and bacterial lesions of the skin and its appendages, connective tissue diseases, sexually transmitted diseases, genetic skin diseases and many others. To treat general dermatological diseases, the department's doctors mostly use systemic drug therapy with the very latest medicines. Drug therapy is quite often combined with laser therapy and phototherapy. The removal of benign neoplasms (for example, nevi, cysts, dermatofibromas) is performed in a specially equipped operating room.
The most important focus of the department's medical team is on the treatment of skin malignancies – squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma and melanoma, which is the most dangerous type of skin cancer. The department's specialists provide preventive examinations with the aim of exclusion or early detection of skin cancer, diagnostics, drug therapy and surgical treatment of skin malignancies, as well as follow-up care of a patient after completed skin cancer treatment. If skin cancer is suspected, the department's doctors carry out dermatohistological testing of a skin sample affected by the pathological process. If the diagnosis is confirmed, the attending physician individually develops the optimal treatment regimen. The resection of skin malignancies is performed in a specially equipped operating room. The surgical treatment is often complemented by drug therapy.
The department pays special attention to the treatment of skin diseases in young patients. It deals with the treatment of skin diseases, which also affect adults, but sometimes have other manifestations in children. For example, atopic eczema in young children has a different course and its manifestations are not the same as in adults. The department also provides treatment of specifically pediatric dermatological diseases – pustular psoriasis, Gianotti-Crosti syndrome, skin rashes of viral origin, etc. The treatment of skin diseases in children involves the use of special drugs approved by professional societies. It is worth noting that the Chief Physician of the department, Prof. Dr. med. Markus Braun-Falco, has been heading the Department of Pediatric Dermatology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich for several years. When working there, he gained invaluable clinical experience in the treatment of skin diseases in children. The professor is a member of the Working Group on Pediatric Dermatology and takes an active part in the work of the scientific advisory board of the German Pediatric Dermatology Foundation.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory and hereditary skin disorders (for example, eczema, psoriasis, and lichenoid dermatitis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin manifestations of allergic reactions (for example, bee and wasp venom allergies, drug allergies, pollen allergies, food and contact allergies)
- Diagnostics and treatment of acne
- Diagnostics and treatment of rosacea
- Diagnostics and treatment of perioral dermatitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of atopic dermatitis (neurodermatitis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune skin diseases
- Bullous dermatoses
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Systemic scleroderma
- Diagnostics and treatment of genetic skin diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of hair and scalp diseases (for example, hair loss, hypertrichosis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin malignancies
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Basal cell carcinoma
- Actinic keratosis
- Malignant melanoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of psoriasis
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin diseases in children (for example, Gianotti-Crosti syndrome, viral exanthems, herpes simplex viruses, atopic dermatitis in children)
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin diseases in the elderly
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare skin diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of urticaria
- Diagnostics and treatment of other skin diseases
The department specializes in the following treatments:
- Laser therapy
- Diode laser epilation
- Laser treatment for nail fungus
- Ablative laser therapy for skin defect removal
- Dermatologic surgery
- Removal of benign skin neoplasms (for examples, nevi, cysts, dermatofibromas)
- Removal of malignant skin neoplasms
- Mohs micrographic surgery – one of the most effective procedures in the field of skin cancer treatment
- Aesthetic dermatological procedures (for example, treatment of wrinkles)
- Other therapeutic options
- 1987 - 1993 Study of Human Medicine at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Internships abroad: Department of Plastic Surgery at the New York University Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine at the Mayo Clinic Rochester, Department of Oncology at the University Hospital Utah, Department of Plastic Surgery at the University Hospital Zurich, Department of Dermatology at the General Hospital in Vienna.
- 1994 Intern, Department of Dermatology, Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- 1994 - 1998 Research in Molecular Biology, Gene Research Center, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Prof. Winnacker and Prof. Hallek).
- Doctoral thesis defense. Subject: "Gene transfer to human keratinocytes with the use of recombinant adeno-associated virus vectors".
- 1999 Fellow at the New York Presbyterian Clinic/Weill Cornell Medical Center, Department of Pathology, Division of Dermatohistopathology, New York, USA.
- Visiting Fellow, Bernard Ackerman Private Practice on Dermatohistopathology, Philadelphia and New York.
- 1999 - 2005 Specialized training in the Department of Dermatology at the Technical University of Munich.
- 2005 Board certification in Dermatology and Venereology.
- 2005 Habilitation, Technical University of Munich. Subject: "Recombinant adeno-associated virus vectors in gene therapy for skin diseases."
- 2005 - 2008 Acting Head of the Department of Dermatology, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- 2009 - 2015 Senior Physician of the Department and Policlinic of Dermatology and Allergology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 2015 Foundation of the Dermatology Clinic Braun-Falco Munich.
Publications and Reports
- 100 Publications in national and international journals.
- 250 Scientific reports in Germany and abroad.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Dermatologie Zentrum Braun-Falco
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology.
Dermatology Clinic Braun-Falco Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.