Treatment of thoracic aortic aneurysm in Germany
Thoracic aortic aneurysm is a disease that is characterized by an isolated extension of the thoracic aorta site of 2 or more times. The pathology poses the risk of death in the case of aneurysm rupture and subsequent bleeding. The prevalence of the disease increases which is related to improved diagnostic methods and increased life expectancy of patients. Thoracic aortic aneurysm is one of the most common cardiovascular causes of death among the elderly. Men over the age of 65 and women over the age of 77 are at risk.
The Booking Health portal presents 64 German clinics specializing in thoracic aortic aneurysm treatmentShow all clinics
Thoracic aortic aneurysm – Diagnostics
In many patients the thoracic aortic aneurysm doesn’t cause any symptoms, or they are mildly expressed and don’t make patient visit a doctor. Therefore, detection of the disease is complicated. Nevertheless, if the patient tells about his complaints, it isn't difficult to establish the diagnosis.
The diagnostics is based on the ultrasound and X-ray examinations. Any part of the aorta can be visualized with the help of these techniques. Revealing dilated part, which is 2 or more times wider than the normal diameter of the vessel in the corresponding part, gives rise to the diagnosis.
The following imaging techniques are necessary to assess the risks and to plan a treatment tactics:
- Computed tomography
- Magnetic resonance imaging
The objective of the physician is not limited to revealing an abnormal expansion of blood vessels. He also should find out the following factors:
- Presence of thrombotic masses in the dilated area of the aorta
- Presence of aortic dissection under the blood pressure
- Size, localization, extent of the aortic aneurysm
- Presence of tears in the inner layer of aorta
The doctor assesses the structure of the aneurysm, condition of the thoracic aorta and nearby tissues. He will also determine which of them can be compressed (squeezed).
It is better to undergo a diagnostics in German hospitals to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the diagnosis. The physicians in Germany will assess the risk of aortic rupture and will advise the best treatment option in each individual situation.
Best clinics for the thoracic aortic aneurysm diagnostics in Germany:
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Samsung Medical Center Seoul
Thoracic aortic aneurysm – Treatment
Thoracic aortic aneurysm requires surgical treatment. It has a risk of rupture, which often leads to death before the patient arrives to the hospital.
This complication of thoracic aortic aneurysm requires emergency surgery, but the efficiency of the emergency surgery is lower as compared to an elective one.
First of all, the elective surgery is indicated in the following cases:
- Presence of thoracic aortic aneurysm symptoms that are associated with compression of the adjacent structures
- Aneurysm of a large diameter or extension
- Enlargement of the aneurysm diameter by a few millimetres within six months
- High risk of complications
Basic methods of treatment are:
- Aortic prosthetic reconstruction (aneurysm is removed and aorta is restored by a prosthesis)
- Endovascular prosthetic with the stent implantation
- Aortic valve replacement (can be performed in combination with the prosthetic repair of the aorta, if necessary)
The type of surgery is determined by the clinical situation and technical capabilities of the medical institution. German hospitals usually provide a better quality and sparing treatment than many other countries. The preference is given to endovascular surgery, which does not involve an open access to the abdominal or thoracic cavity.
Best clinics for the thoracic aortic aneurysm treatment in Germany:
Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul
Hospital Sachsenhausen - Academic Hospital of the University of Frankfurt am Main
University Hospital Duesseldorf
Thoracic aortic aneurysm – Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation is the process of restoration from injuries, surgeries or diseases. After the surgical treatment of thoracic aortic aneurysms, the rehabilitation program helps to endure the postoperative period much easier and return to everyday life as quickly as possible.
The directions of the thoracic aortic aneurysm rehabilitation
There are several main directions of the thoracic aortic aneurysm rehabilitation, such as:
- Medical one, which includes the restoration of patient's health, normalization of body functions, stimulation of compensatory possibilities, elimination of the chronic pain, etc.
- Physical one, which is responsible for improving of working capacity and tolerance for physical activities.
- Psychological one, which helps to eliminate the mental disorders which may occur as a result of a disease (phobias, depression, apathy), to increase motivation and adapt to the changed living conditions.
Therapeutic rehabilitation methods
The most modern rehabilitation programs are used in Germany. They are adapted individually for each patient, and are based on the age, physical possibilities, and the results of previous treatment. Different specialists, such as cardiologists, therapists, psychologists, rehabilitators, physiotherapists are involved in the rehabilitation process.
The following methods of rehabilitation are used:
- Early activation and dosed physical activity
- Breathing exercises
- Training on the simulators and in the pool
- Natural factors of the nature (mud, thermal waters, etc.)
Rehabilitation includes medicamentous support. The doctor selects drugs that normalize the level of blood pressure, improve the condition of the vessel wall and blood properties. It is necessary to hold a consultation with the patient about the proper nutrition and level of physical activity which is important for him in the current situation.
Rehabilitation programs in Germany are designed for 2 weeks. If necessary, they can last much longer. In this country, the patient is provided with qualitative care, accommodation in comfortable rooms and individually selected meals.
Rehabilitation programs in Germany show one of the best results in the world. Most patients successfully restore their working capacity and excellent health there. They remain physically active, return to the full social and family life.
Best clinics for general therapeutic rehabilitation in Germany:
Max Grundig Clinic Buehl
818.29Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc