Treatment of Parkinsons disease with deep brain stimulation (DBS) and implanted of neurostimulator (program ID: 291377)
University Hospital Essen
Ulrich SureSpecialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- TSH, fT3, fT4
- indicators blood coagulation
- neurological examination
- CT/MRI scan
- neuropsychological tests (on indications):
- ENMG (electroneuromyography)
- EEG (electroencephalography)
- SEPs (somatosensory evoked potentials)
- VEPs (visually evoked potentials)
- BAEP tests (brainstem auditory evoked potential)
- stationary EEG monitoring
- preoperative care
- surgical treatment of Parkinson's disease with deep brain stimulation and installation of
neurostimulator (including the cost of neurostimulator)
- 1-day intensive care unit stay
- postoperative MRI control
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
- Medical records
- MRI/CT scan (if available)
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Essen offers the widest range of surgical interventions for the treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system, including stereotactic surgery and endoscopy. With more than 2,400 operations every year, the department has a unique experience, which allows it to provide the high-quality medical care even in extremely complex clinical cases. The key focus of the department is pediatric neurosurgery. In addition to the high professionalism of doctors, the treatment success is facilitated by exclusively advanced medical equipment, for example, neuronavigation systems and intraoperative fluorescence navigation. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Ulrich Sure.
The department provides all options for the treatment of neurosurgical diseases. These include brain surgery for the treatment of cancer and vascular diseases. The priority focus is the comprehensive treatment of vascular anomalies (aneurysms, cavernomas, angiomas). In the field of neuro-oncology (the treatment of cancer of the nervous system), the department provides medical services in close cooperation with the West German Cancer Centre, which has an excellent reputation in Germany and is one of the largest and most progressive medical facilities of the international level. Also, key attention is paid to the treatment of spinal and spinal cord diseases.
The operations are performed in three operating rooms equipped with state-of-the-art technology. The department widely uses neuronavigation surgery, which allows to ensure the highest accuracy and safety during the operations on the brain and spinal cord, spine. The specialists from the departments of neuroradiology, pediatrics, neuropediatrics are often involved in performing operations in children, which contributes to the achievement of an optimal treatment outcome. Before determining the type of required intervention, there is conducted the comprehensive diagnostics, and after the selection of the best treatment option, the doctors carefully plan the surgical procedure.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Surgical treatment of arteriovenous malformations
- Surgical treatment of cerebral aneurysms
- Surgical treatment of acoustic neuroma
- Surgical treatment of cavernomas
- Functional neurosurgery
- Deep brain stimulation
- Surgical treatment of diseases of the peripheral nervous system
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Surgical treatment of spina bifida
- Skull base surgery (pituitary tumors, meningiomas)
- Surgical treatment of complex spinal diseases
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 1986 - 1993 Study of Human Medicine, Free University of Berlin and University of Freiburg.
- 1990 Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 4 months.
- 1990 Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery, New York University, New York, USA, 2 months.
- 1992 Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Nagoya, Japan, 4 months.
- 1993 Institute of Neurology, London, UK, 4 months.
- 2006 Carolina Neurological Institute, Raleigh, USA.
- 1993 Medulloblastoma Researches (Supervisor: Prof. Wolfgang Seeger, Freiburg), defense with honors.
- 2002 Endothelial cell proliferation and neoangiogenesis of cerebral vascular malformations and their clinical significance, Philipps University of Marburg.
- Certification in Vascular Neurosurgery (DGNC).
- Certification in Neuro-Oncology (DGNC).
- Certification in Surgical Treatment of Epilepsy, Working Group on Non-Invasive Diagnostics of Epilepsy.
Further Training and Professional Activities
- 1993 Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Neuropathology, University of Zurich.
- 1994 Assistant Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Aachen.
- 1997 Assistant Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital at the Philipps University of Marburg.
- 1999 Professional certification in Neurosurgery.
- 1999 Senior Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Philipps University of Marburg.
- 2002 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department.
- 2006 Extraordinary Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Philipps University of Marburg.
- 2007 Acting Head in the Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital at the Philipps University of Marburg.
- 2008 Refusal of a position at the University Hospital Mannheim.
- 2008 Acceptance of an invitation to work at the University Hospital Essen.
- 2008 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Essen.
- 2011 Refusal of a position at the University Hospital Bonn.
- Neurovascular surgery.
- Surgery to treat brain tumors (including skull base).
- Surgical treatment of epilepsy.
- Spinal and spinal cord surgery.
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques.
- Intraoperative imaging.
- Molecular basis of neurovascular diseases.
- Molecular basis of neuro-oncological diseases.
- Neurosurgical significance of high-field magnetic resonance imaging.
- Neuropsychology in neurosurgery.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Neurosurgery (DGNC).
- Professional Association of German Neurosurgeons (BDNC).
- German Academy of Neurosurgery (GANS).
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- European Association of Neurosurgical Societies (EANS).
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS).
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS).
- World Academy of Neurological Surgery (WANS).
- Academia Eurasiana Neurochirurgica.
- German Spine Society (DWG).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Treatment of Parkinsons disease with deep brain stimulation (DBS) and implanted of neurostimulator
- Hospital: University Hospital Essen
- access_time Duration:
There are 49 parkinsons disease treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics