Treatment of acoustic neuroma by stereotactic radiosurgery using "gamma knife" (program ID: 272245)
Gamma Knife and Radiotherapy Center Hannover
Otto BundschuhSpecialized in: gamma knife, radiotherapy
Gamma Knife and Radiotherapy Center
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- TSH, fT3, fT4
- neurological examination
- CT/MRI scan of the head
- stereotactic radiosurgery
- nursing services
- consultation of related specialists
- treatment by chief physician and all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
You may also book
About the department
The Gamma Knife and Radiotherapy Center Hannover offers the full range of medical services in its field of competence. The treatment begins with an individual consultation and the comprehensive diagnostics, while the therapy is followed by all the necessary measures for follow-up care and consolidation of the result. The irradiation is carried out using the innovative Gamma Knife ICON, the characteristics of which ensure the successful removal of tumors up to 3 cm in size without damaging the surrounding healthy tissues. The highly qualified doctors of the center have many years of clinical experience and excellent skills in using this progressive system, so the patient can be sure that he will get the optimal result. The center is headed by Dr. med. Otto Bundschuh.
Immediately before treatment, the exact location of the tumor is determined using the accurate imaging studies (CT scan, MRI, PET-CT). Thanks to this, all the nuances and individual characteristics of the disease are taken into account. The center's team of radiologists have at their disposal high-power advanced imaging equipment.
Based on radiological diagnostics and clinical data, the center's doctors select the most appropriate type of radiation for each patient – stereotactic high-precision simultaneous or fractional irradiation using a linear accelerator. In rare cases, additional surgical tumor resection can be performed.
A unique feature of the center is the use of the Gamma Knife ICON. The Gamma Knife is used to irradiate benign and malignant tumors in the head up to 2.5-3 cm in size. In addition to the size of the tumor, its location in relation to the important regions of the brain is also a decisive factor. The Gamma Knife treatment is extremely accurate and reliable. This is a sparing and painless treatment method.
When performing radiosurgical treatment, the tumor is not physically removed, but suppressed (its growth and metastasis are stopped). To assess the effectiveness of treatment, the doctors carry out regular postoperative follow-up examinations at intervals of six months to a year.
Another advantage of radiosurgery is that it can be performed on an outpatient basis. The procedure is well tolerated, and the patient can leave the medical center and continue his usual life the very next day after the session. For example, he can return to work, go on a planned vacation or continue playing sports.
The center specializes in the treatment of the following diseases:
- Brain tumors
- Single or multiple brain metastases (especially when located near functionally important regions of the brain)
- Acoustic neuroma
- Pituitary adenoma
- Chordomas and chondrosarcomas
- Local recurrent gliomas
- Tumors that are difficult to remove surgically due to their location
- Vascular malformations
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Glomus tumors
- Cavernous angiomas
- Eye tumors
- Choroidal melanoma
- Orbital metastases
- Functional diseases
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Other diseases
- Education in stereotactic radiosurgery in Stockholm, Aachen, Krefeld and Hannover.
- Many years of experience in the field of conservative and surgical treatment of diseases of the back, including all operations to stabilize all regions of the spine.
- Long-term cooperation (for 18 years) with the world-renowned neurosurgeon Majid Samii.
- Since 2000 Senior Physician at the International Institute of Neurology in Hanover (INI).
- Since 2004 Foundation and work as the Chief Physician at the Gamma Knife and Radiotherapy Center Hannover.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Neurosurgery.
- Professional Union of German Neurosurgeons.
- German Society of Acupuncture.
- Society of Pain Therapy.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Gamma Knife Zentrum Krefeld
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Treatment of acoustic neuroma by stereotactic radiosurgery using "gamma knife"
- Hospital: Gamma Knife and Radiotherapy Center Hannover
- access_time Duration:
There are 3 acoustic neuroma treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics