Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Diabetology (583887)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric diabetology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Diabetology at Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Diabetology at the Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen offers the full range of services for the diagnostics and treatment of all types of diabetes mellitus, including rare types of this pathology. The department annually provides its first-class medical services to about 2,500 patients of various age groups. The primary goal of each department's doctor is the provision of a decent quality of life for each patient with diabetes mellitus. In addition, an important department’s task is the treatment of early and late complications of diabetes mellitus. The department has earned a reputation as one of the leading German facilities for the treatment of patients with cardiovascular diseases due to diabetes mellitus. The certificate of the German Diabetes Association and other prestigious certificates testify to the outstanding quality of the department's services. The head physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Diethelm Tschöpe.
In order to provide the highest level of comprehensive medical care, the department is staffed by an interdisciplinary competent team, which is comprised of the experts in the field of endocrinology, diabetology and gastroenterology, nutritionists, experts in counseling and training of diabetes patients, psychologists and specially trained nursing staff.
The department's medical team devotes a lot of time to the detailed examination of the patient. The specialists use the most modern methods in order to identify endocrinological, gastroenterological and other diseases. Based on the results of the diagnostics, an individualized treatment plan is developed. To provide a successful treatment, it is also important to study patient lifestyle and diet. Sometimes, in order to achieve positive dynamics, patients need a partial or complete modification of their lifestyle. The patients are also offered special courses and consultations, during which they learn how to cope with the difficulties associated with the disease, eat properly, control the blood glucose levels. Also, thanks to the work with psychologists, the patients receive information on how to accept their diagnosis and get the best possible positive emotions from life, despite whatever difficulties.
The diabetes patients are often characterized by very poor wound healing. The problem is aggravated by the fact that due to the reduced pain sensitivity patients often notice a wound only at a late stage. Therefore, the department employs the specialized wound healing experts. They take care of the early diagnostics and targeted treatment of problems with the feet due to diabetes mellitus. The department's doctors achieve the outstanding results in limb preservation, as well as in stimulation of the healing process of chronic wounds.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following types of diabetes mellitus:
- Diabetes mellitus type 1
- Diabetes mellitus type 2
- Gestational diabetes
- Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA)
- Maturity onset diabetes of the young (MODY)
- Rare types of diabetes mellitus
- Complications of diabetes mellitus, such as heart attack, stroke, blindness, impaired kidney function
- Other types of pathology
The clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of all types of diabetes mellitus
- Comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of secondary and concomitant diseases in diabetes mellitus
- Cardiovascular risk assessment and the treatment of cardiovascular diseases in the concept of integrated medical care
- Modern therapeutic approaches to accelerated wound healing in diabetic foot
- Treatment of neuropathy and circulatory disorders due to diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostiсs and therapy of other endocrine and gastroenterological diseases due to diabetes mellitus
- Individual counseling and training of diabetes patients in a new way of life, self-monitoring of blood glucose levels, adherence to proper diet
- Psychological support
- Practical recommendations on lifestyle modification
- Treatment within the national and international clinical trials
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Diethelm Tschöpe
- Chair of Internal Medicine, Endocrinology, Diabetology at the Ruhr University Bochum (RUB).
- Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Diabetology at the Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen, Ruhr University Bochum.
- Chairman of the Foundation for Diabetics with Cardiac Diseases in the German Diabetes Foundation.
Education and Professional Experience
- 1984 Research Fellow, Clinical Department of the German Diabetes Research Institute at the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 1992 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Internal Medicine.
- 1994 Clinical Senior Physician, Duesseldorf.
- 2002 Recognition of Quality in Endocrinology (RQE); Teacher of the European Board of Endocrinology (UEMS).
- 2003 Department of Internal Medicine, Diabetology, Endocrinology at the Ruhr University Bochum; Deputy Medical Director, Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen, Ruhr University Bochum.
- 2006 Member of the Executive Board Center for Innovation in Health Economics (ZIG); Scientific Advisory Board of the International Prevention Organization (IPO).
- Since 2009 Medical Director of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Diabetology at the Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen, Ruhr University Bochum.
Honors, Awards and Memberships
- 1993 Research Award of Anna Jühling Wunderlich Foundation.
- 1998 Ferdinand-Bertram Prize of the German Diabetes Society (DDG).
- 1999 Chairman of the Board of Trustees "The Diabetic Heart Disease" (DHD).
- 2003 Assessor / Instructor of the Section of Endocrinology at the Medical Association of Westphalia-Lippe.
- 2007 Honorary doctorate University of Cluj-Napuca (Romania).
- 2010 Fellowship of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC).
- 2010 Scientific Advisory Board of the German Heart Foundation (DHS).
- 2013 Chairman of the Telemedicine Commission, German Society of Internal Medicine (DGIM).
- 2014 Chairman of the North Rhine-Westphalia Society of Internal Medicine (RWGIM).
- 2016 Deputy Chairman of the Steering Committee of the Academy of Medical Education of the Medical Association of Westphalia-Lippe and the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians Westphalia-Lippe.
Scientific and Clinical Focuses
- Diagnostics of thrombophilia in patients with vascular risk.
- Degenerative vascular diseases and pharmacology of vascular prevention.
- Non-invasive vascular diagnostics.
- Multimodal and individualized therapy concepts.
- Health services research on metabolic, cardiovascular and vascular diseases.
Member of Editor Boards
- International Journal of Clinical Practice.
- Editor-in-Chief, Diabetes, metabolism and heart.
- As well as publisher and reviewer of numerous international scientific journals in related fields.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Herz- und Diabeteszentrum NRW, Bad Oeynhausen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Diabetology.
Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.